When do I move out?
You do not need to move out and empty your room for the Christmas and Easter holidays. However, if you are going home for the holidays, it makes sense to take any valuables with you.
You will need to move out at the end of your halls of residence contract. This year, moving out day for most students who are leaving at the end of their 42-week contact is 30 June. The moving out day for students at Flamsteed Court who are on a 44-week contract is 14 July.
Please vacate your room by 10am.
Stay over the summer
If you would like to stay in halls over the summer, you can stay at Princess Alice Court. We recommend you apply for summer stays as soon as possible. If you already live in halls and will be moving to the Princess Alice Court for the summer, we recommend that you apply soon after Easter. Even if you only want to stay one day after your current contract finishes, you will still need to apply. You can do this by logging into your Student Living account or applying online.
Things to do when you leave halls
One of the most important things you can do when you leave halls is make sure everything is clean and tidy - that way you'll avoid unecessary charges. Use this moving out checklist to make sure you've done everything you need to.
Avoid extra charges
- When you move out, make sure you haven't left any of your property in your flat and try to leave your room clean and undamaged.
- We'll check everything after you've left against the inventory you completed on arrival. If your room needs any extra cleaning or repairs we will have to charge you for them.
- You MUST also make sure that all communal areas are clean and tidy before you leave and you may be charged if there is any damage or cleaning required once you have left. Student Living will base these charges on key return dates. The minimum charge per person is £25.
- Student Living is entitled to charge you under the terms outlined in the Student Letting Agreement.
- You can find out more about charges here.
Moving out day
Unless you've booked to stay on for the summer, you have to move out by 10am on the last day of your contract. If you want to stay beyond this date, even for one day, you will need to apply to live in halls for the summer.
Where to park when moving out
If someone with a car is coming to help you move out, please be aware there is limited parking at each hall.
- Clean your room, communal and storage areas.
- Clear all the rubbish from your room and the kitchen. Remember to recycle as much as you can or donate unwanted items to charity.
- Empty the fridge/freezer and your food cupboards and give them a good clean.
- Take all stickers, posters and blue tac off the walls.
- Pack all your things from your room and the kitchen but remember, if you live in halls, you should leave your internet cable in your room.
- Any items left behind may be thrown away and you will be charged for the cost of disposal.
Other things you need to do
- Redirect your post. Any mail which arrives after you've left will be returned to sender. Redirecting is easy and cheap. Go to www.royalmail.com for more information.
- Shut all the windows and lock the door.
- Return your room key, parking fob and biking shed key to the hall office or you'll be charged for each one. If there is no-one in the hall office when you are leaving please put your keys/card/fob in an envelope with your room number on and post them into the letterbox.
- Sort out your transport home.
- Support our Pack for Good campaign by donating any unwanted items to charity. Charity bags will be delivered to your flats during May.
And what about next year?
By now, you should have sorted out your accommodation for next year. If you're hoping to move into halls, you can apply online as long as you pay the £100 advanced booking payment. Apply now