Moving Out

When do I move out?

You do not need to move out and empty your room for the Christmas and Easter holidays. However, if you are going home for the holidays, it makes sense to take any valuables with you.

You will need to move out at the end of your halls of residence contract. Moving out day for most students who are leaving at the end of their 42-week contract is usually the first Saturday in July.  Check your contract for details. The moving-out day for students at Flamsteed Court who are on a 44-week contract is usually two weeks later. Please vacate your room by 10 am. If someone with a car is coming to help you move out, please be aware there is limited parking at each hall.

Extending your stay

If you want to stay beyond the end of your contract, even if it is only for one day, you will need to apply to live in halls for the summer.

We recommend you apply for a summer stay as soon as possible. If you already live in halls and will be moving to St Christopher's Court for the summer, we recommend that you apply soon after Easter. Even if you only want to stay one day after your current contract finishes, you will still need to apply. You can do this by logging into or setting up your Student Living account.

Things to do when you leave halls

One of the most important things you can do when you leave halls is make sure everything is clean and tidy. Use this moving out checklist to make sure you've done everything you need to.

Recovering costs for damage

The Tenant Fees Act of 2019 allows us to recover any costs for the repair of damage caused by residents. Therefore any damage caused by you, which is a breach of contract, over and above normal wear and tear will need to be paid for. Student Living will be able to demonstrate evidence of any costs associated with the repair. You can find more details about damage costs in your Licence Agreement.


Your accommodation contract requires you to:

Keep the flat, room and room items in a clean, hygienic and tidy state and condition.

Therefore, before you leave your room and flat, please return it to the state in which you found it.


Allowances will be made for normal wear and tear, however, Student Living will recover the cost for any unreasonable damage.

Replacement/repair of items

Items such as fire signs, health and safety notices, door numbers, fixtures, fittings, upholstery, TVs, DVD players, mattresses and chairs may need to be replaced or repaired if they are found to be damaged. We will only recover the cost of these items.

Loss of keys

If you do not return your room key, access fob, car parking fob and bike shed key when you leave, we will recover the costs to replace them in line with Student Living policies and procedures.

What happens next? 

We'll check everything after you've left against the inventory you completed on arrival. If your room needs any extra cleaning or repairs we will contact you by letter to recover the cost.  This is in line with the terms outlined in the accommodation licence

If there are no charges, you will not be contacted

You will be given 30 days from the date of the letter to pay or query any costs with your Hall Manager. Any queries about costs should only be made in writing and addressed to your Hall Manager.

How to pay

You can pay in two different ways:

Failure to pay

Failure to pay any costs you have incurred may lead to legal recovery action being taken and may affect your enrolment for the next academic year.

And what about next year?

If you still haven't sorted out your accommodation for next year, there are still places available in halls. Every year hundreds of students return to halls for another year and benefit from a range of incentives. 

Find out more about returning to hallsApply online for halls