Everyone has a responsibility to report concerns about a child or vulnerable adult being at risk of harm. A person may abuse or neglect a child or adult by inflicting harm, or by failing to act to prevent harm.

If you have a safeguarding concern, please report it now.

Reporting your concerns

If you suspect that an individual is at immediate risk of harm

If you believe that someone is at immediate risk and in need of protection then you should call the police on 999 (emergency) or 101 (non-emergency) immediately.

If you are Deaf or hearing impaired you can use the National Short Message Service (SMS) Emergency Service. To use this service you will need to register at

If you have concerns but the individual is not at immediate risk of harm

The University has a designated Safeguarding team and it is critical that you inform the team of any safeguarding concerns immediately.

A member of the Safeguarding team will discuss your concerns and take appropriate action.

You can report your concern by completing a safeguarding referral form. 

If you wish to discuss the matter with a member of the Safeguarding team you can phone: 

We are committed to safeguarding individuals who are vulnerable, and we respond promptly to reports. However, these reports will only be received and responded to during the working hours of the University.

Outside office hours but not an immediate risk

You can contact Careline (Derby's out of hours emergency social care service):