Full-time: 3 years, Part-time: Up to 6 years
£9,250 per year (2020/21)
£14,045 per year (2020/21)
128 (September 2021 entry)
Kedleston Road, Derby Campus
Develop specialist skills in performance analysis and coaching to train athletes to their full potential.
- Use the latest performance analysis technologies and state-of-the-art facilities including our £10.8m sports centre
- Choose an innovative programme which focuses on the interdisciplinary nature of performance analysis and coaching
- Benefit from a strong combination of practical and theoretical learning
- Make the most of unique work placement and internship opportunities with professional clubs
- Build your skills with learning and assessment strategies which reflect real world practice and prepare you for employment
- Gain your Hudl Academy qualifications and become a certified SportsCode user. You'll also have free access to Hudl Sportscode, by either receiving a free licence to put on your own MacBook, or by accessing our MacBooks from our suite of machines
Designed in collaboration with our industry partners, this exciting new course will provide you with invaluable knowledge, applied experience and technological skills for a career in a highly competitive arena.
Performance Analysis and Coaching Science at Derby
Using the latest technologies, including Hudl SportsCode, WyScout, iCoda, Hudl Replay, VICON 3D and Quintic, this course enables you to develop specialist skills in performance analysis and coaching to help inform athletes, leading them to future successes.
Throughout the course, you’ll study exciting modules examining the theory and science behind performance analysis and coaching, designed to prepare you for work in the industry. We’ll also introduce you to some of the other sport sciences, such as biomechanics, psychology and physical performance, vital for a successful career in performance sport.
We’ll help you by combining your understanding of how to analyse both individuals and teams in a variety of different sports. Unique work placement and internship opportunities with professional clubs allow you to apply your theoretical knowledge to practice - essential preparation for your future career.
Many of our staff work in the industry as practitioners, ensuring that what we teach you is current and relevant to industry practice. Some of our work in the industry includes with national and international athletes and coaches. We’re also actively involved in research with many of our staff undertaking high-level scientific research investigations on themes such as improving athletes' performance through coaching, performance profiling, sports psychology, and the use of latest technologies.
Kedleston Road is home to our Sports Centre and specialist sports science facilities including our suite of performance analysis equipment. You’ll also benefit from our laboratories and our bespoke performance suite for biomechanics, performance analysis, and strength and conditioning. The Sports Centre also includes a range of sports facilities including fitness gym studios, squash and badminton courts, outdoor pitches, an indoor climbing wall, sprint track and sports hall. It also houses our Team Derby, which delivers sport science support services and workshops to assist professional and amateur athletes to improve their performance in a range of sports.
Join Team Derby
If you enjoy a challenge and would like to make the most of your own sporting passion and prowess, you could become involved with Team Derby which is the focal point for the University’s sporting community. It encompasses all aspects of sport, including courses, numerous sports clubs, the Athletics Union and sport development activities.
Please note that our modules are subject to change - we review the content of our courses regularly, making changes where necessary to improve your experience and graduate prospects.
Virtual Open Day
Delve deeper into the course with our Virtual Open Day, packed with subject and course information to help you make your choice, including tours of facilities, 360° views of award-winning accommodation plus advice and insight from students and academics.Explore our Virtual Open Day
This applied programme will use the latest technology and performance analysis systems in our new £10.8m state-of-the-art sport centre to develop knowledge and skills in the classroom and applied settings. Opportunities will be available for students to work in an interdisciplinary environment, with internal and external sport teams. You will also have the opportunity to undertake an internship with professional and non-professional sport clubs and organisations, to enhance your employability.
You will be assessed in a variety of ways, including coursework, practicals, exams, and presentations. Assessments will be individual and group based, with a strong emphasis on applied work. All assessment methods have been designed to prepare you for industry.
Personal academic tutoring
Your personal academic tutor will work with you to help you get the most out of your time at university. Having someone to talk to about your academic progress, your university experience and your professional aspirations is hugely valuable. We want you to feel challenged in your studies, stretched but confident to achieve your academic and professional goals.
Find out more about personal academic tutoring
September 2021 typical entry requirements
|Requirement||What we're looking for|
|Specific requirements at A-level|
No specific subject requirements
|Specific requirements at GCSE||GCSE Maths and English Grade C/Grade 4 (or above) or equivalent qualification|
|IELTS||6.0 (with 5.5 in each skills area)|
|Interview / Audition||N/A|
Alternative entry qualifications:
- BTEC - DDM
- Pass Access to HE Diploma - 60 credits: 45 at Level 3 with a minimum of Distinction: 15 Merit: 24 Pass: 6
We usually consider an A-level in General Studies as a supplementary qualification. A good application/performance will be taken into account if you do not meet the criteria/offer conditions.
An Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service certificate cleared by the University is required for this course. We will contact you with information on how to complete this once you have applied. More information.
Our entry requirements for this course should be read together with the University's general entry requirements, which details subjects we accept, alternative qualifications and what we're looking for at Derby.
£9,250 per year
£1,155 per 20 credit module
£14,045 per year
Further information about our fees and support you may be entitled to.
Additional costs and optional extras
Our degree offers the perfect route into career areas such as elite sport, performance analysis, talent identification and sport coaching in the UK and abroad.
You can also consider taking your qualifications to the next level. We now offer the MSc Applied Sport and Exercise Science – which includes Sport and Exercise Psychology or Physiology pathways – where you will develop advanced knowledge in your subject. Another option is our Careers and Employment Service where you can further your applied sport science and research skills.
Through our Professional Development Package, you'll gain valuable transferable skills, including:
- Written and verbal communication
- Research and analytical
- Personal motivation, organisation and self-reflection
- IT literacy
- Critical awareness
Careers and Employment Service
To boost your employment skills, you can access the University's Careers and Employability Service. The team can connect you with employers to help find opportunities for work placements, part-time jobs, and volunteering. Our careers consultants are also on hand to guide you through the career options for your degree, CV writing, or starting your own business - and we commit to helping you for three years after you graduate to find a job.
If you need any more information from us, eg on courses, accommodation, applying, car parking, fees or funding, please contact us and we will do everything we can to help you.Contact us
Additional information about your studies
Like most universities, we operate extended teaching hours at the University of Derby, so contact time with your lecturers and tutors could be anytime between 9am and 9pm. Your timetable will usually be available on the website 24 hours after enrolment on to your course.
Additional costs and optional extras
We’re committed to providing you with an outstanding learning experience. Our expert teaching, excellent facilities and great employability prepare you for your future career. As part of our commitment to you we aim to keep any additional study costs to a minimum. However, there are occasions where students may incur some additional costs.
The information below is correct for entry in the academic year September 2020 - August 2021 only. Entry for future academic years may be subject to change.
Included in your fees
- If you have your own MacBook we will give you a Hudl Sportscode licence for free for the duration of the course. If you do not own your own MacBook you will have access to this programme by using our suite of MacBooks on site
- To welcome you to our team, you’ll receive a University of Derby, Sport and Exercise Science t-shirt
- If a DBS check is needed for the purposes of a module or programme related work placement, this is included in your fee if done via the University
- We will contribute to or pay the full cost of additional qualifications which are arranged by us. For other additional qualifications you’re interested in, we may contribute to or fund these but this is at the Sport department’s discretion
Mandatory costs not included in your fees
- If not already owned, appropriate clothing for practical sessions such as tracksuit bottoms and trainers - approximate cost is £50-£100
- Two bound copies of Independent Study (dissertation) - approximate cost is £12
- Travel to placements - cost varies depending on your placement venue of choice
Optional costs not included in your fees
- Optional textbooks or e-books to support your studies - costs for these are dependent on your choice
- You may wish to undertake additional qualifications as part of your studies such as pitch-side first aid - costs will vary depending on your choice
Please note: Our courses are refreshed and updated on a regular basis. If you are thinking about transferring onto this course (into the second year for example), you should contact the programme leader for the relevant course information as modules may vary from those shown on this page.