Full-time: 4 years
£9,250 per year (2019/20)
£13,250 per year (2019/20)
72 (September 2019 entry)
Kedleston Road, Derby Campus
Become part of a new generation of sports scientists with all the expertise you need to help athletes reach their full potential. Derby has set the pace in developing this innovative course which will act as the launchpad for your career in a highly competitive arena.
- Start your degree with a foundation year to gain a valuable introduction to sports science and achieve your full BSc (Hons) qualification in four years of study
- Realise your ambitions: this route is ideal for anyone considering a change of career or taking up a completely new subject area
- Focus on the interdisciplinary nature of performance analysis and coaching
- Gain vital insights into real-world practice, including unique opportunities to go on work placements and internships with professional clubs
- Combine theoretical knowledge and practical skills in our state-of-the-art facilities, including our new £10.8m Sports Centre
- Harness the latest coaching and performance analysis technologies, such as Sports Code, Dartfish and Quintic
Foundation Year - helping you to achieve more
Including a foundation year as part of your four-year study programme will give you a head start in your academic and professional life. The foundation year offers the chance to strengthen your skills, knowledge and confidence – with extensive support from our expert staff – before you advance to stage one of your honours degree. It could also be beneficial if you are planning a career change and want to get to grips with aspects of subjects which are new to you.
Our degrees with a foundation year are continuous, meaning that you won’t need to apply again once you have successfully completed the first year.
Prepare for a career in performance sport
This course delivers invaluable knowledge, applied experience and high-level technological skills so that you are fully equipped for a career in performance sport.
With the benefit of significant input from industry, it provides a firm foundation of knowledge in sport and exercise science along with the specialist practical skills and professional attitude you will need.
We adopt an integrated, scientific approach at every stage of your studies, so you’ll have the chance to become proficient with the latest coaching and performance analysis technologies.
Build the practical skills for success
This course features innovative learning and assessment strategies so that you can experience real world environments throughout your studies. You’ll work with both internal and external sports teams on a range of interdisciplinary and practical projects.
To add an extra dimension to your learning, we offer internship opportunities with organisations such as Derby County FC, Leicester Tigers Rugby Club and the Derbyshire Institute of Sport.
Our approach to assessment has been designed in collaboration with industry partners so that it reflects the type of work undertaken by practitioners in professional sport.
Cutting-edge facilities, expert support
We boast a well-equipped sport and exercise and a separate biomechanics laboratory containing the latest technology to analyse motion accurately.
You’ll get to grips with market-leading performance analysis software packages such as Sports Code, iCODA, Hudl, Dartfish and Quintic. To support your analyses, you’ll also use our HD cameras and EVS tower system, with access to our suite of MacBook Pros and iPads.
Throughout the course, you’ll benefit from high-quality teaching and friendly support from our team of enthusiastic staff. They include accredited professionals who are actively engaged in research, high-performance sport and applied sport science consultancy. They are also members of leading professional bodies.
Sport for leisure as well as learning
Along with our specialist laboratories, you’ll discover other exceptional facilities on campus to help you keep up a fitness regime, try out a new sport or improve your performance through competitions.
Our new £10.8m includes a main hall, fitness gym with strength and conditioning area, studios, squash and badminton courts, an internal climbing wall, sprint track, changing rooms, treatment rooms and a café. It complements other facilities such as floodlit all-weather pitches and tennis courts.
You could also engage with Team Derby, which brings together the University’s sporting community. Its work spans numerous sports clubs, the Athletics Union and sport development activities. As part of Team Derby, you can also represent the University in a vast range of competitive sport.
You’ll study modules such as:
- Study Skills in Science
- Research Methods in Data Handling
- Fundamentals of Sport and Exercise Science
- Fundamentals of Human Behaviour
- Fundamentals of Human Anatomy and Physiology
- The Art of Sport and Exercise: A Foundation
If you already have level 2 English and Maths, you will not be required to take English and Maths core modules.
- Academic and Applied Skills for Sport and Exercise *Δ
- Principles of Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Principles of Sport Biomechanics
- Introduction to Anatomy for Sport and Exercise
- Principles of Sport and Exercise Physiology
- Coaching and Skill Acquisition
- Research Methods for Sport and Exercise *Δ
- Applied Notational Analysis
- Performance Analysis and Coaching Technologies
- Sport Coaching: Theory and Practice
- Psychomotor Learning and Sport Psychology
You’ll also choose one from the following optional modules:
- Athlete Testing and Assessment
- Field Based Conditioning
Industrial Placement Year (optional)
This course offers an ‘Industrial Placement Year’ giving you the opportunity to enhance your practical skills by putting theory into practice, network in your industry and stand-out in the graduate job market. The placement year takes place in your third year, once completed, you would return to University to complete your final year of studies.
- Applied Professional Practice
- Contemporary Issues in Professional Practice
- Independent Study for Sport and Exercise*
- Advanced Performance Analysis
- Advanced Sport Coaching
- Applied Sport Science
- Advanced Field Based Conditioning
You’ll also choose one from the following optional modules:
- Advanced Athlete Testing and Assessment
- Applied Sport Psychology
* Module includes Professional Development Activities
Δ Module includes Work Placement
Please note that our modules are subject to change - we review the content of our courses regularly, making changes where necessary to improve your experience and graduate prospects.
This applied programme will use the latest technology and performance analysis systems in our new £10.8m state-of-the-art sport centre to develop knowledge and skills in the classroom and applied settings. Opportunities will be available for students to work in an interdisciplinary environment, with internal and external sport teams. You will also have the opportunity to undertake an internship with professional and non-professional sport clubs and organisations, to enhance your employability.
You will be assessed in a variety of ways, including coursework, practicals, exams, and presentations. Assessments will be individual and group based, with a strong emphasis on applied work. All assessment methods have been designed to prepare you for industry.
September 2019 typical entry requirements
|UCAS points||72 (up to 16 from AS-levels)|
|Specific requirements at A-level||N/A|
|Specific requirements at GCSE|
GCSE Maths and English are preferred, however if you don't have these qualifications you will be able to undertake Maths and English at L2 as part of your course of study.
|IELTS||6.0 (with 5.5 in each skills area)|
|Interview / Audition||N/A|
Alternative entry qualifications:
- BTEC - MPP
- Pass Access to HE Diploma 60 credits: 45 at Level 3 and 15 at Level 2.
We usually consider an A-level in General Studies as a supplementary qualification. A good application/performance will be taken into account if you do not meet the criteria/offer conditions.
An Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service certificate cleared by the University is required for this course. We will contact you with information on how to complete this once you have applied. More information.
Our entry requirements for this course should be read together with the University's general entry requirements, which details subjects we accept, alternative qualifications and what we're looking for at Derby.
£9,250 per year*
£14,045 per year
* The fees stated above are for the 2019/20 academic year; fees for 2020/21 have not yet been confirmed by the UK government. We will update this information as soon as it is available.
Further information about our fees and support you may be entitled to.
Additional costs and optional extras
The skills and knowledge you gain on this degree will give you a solid platform for progressing into graduate level careers in elite sport, performance analysis, talent identification and sport coaching, both in the UK and abroad.
You can also consider postgraduate qualifications, including exciting masters-level courses here at Derby. We now offer the MSc Applied Sport and Exercise Science – which includes Sport and Exercise Psychology or Physiology pathways – which gives you the chance to gain advanced knowledge in your subject. If you would like to further your applied sport science and research skills, our MRes (Sport and Exercise) would also be a smart choice.
If you need any more information from us, eg on courses, accommodation, applying, car parking, fees or funding, please contact us and we will do everything we can to help you.Contact us
† Additional information about your studies
Download programme specification
Like most universities, we operate extended teaching hours at the University of Derby, so contact time with your lecturers and tutors could be anytime between 9am and 9pm. Your timetable will usually be available on the website 24 hours after enrolment on to your course.
Additional costs and optional extras
We’re committed to providing you with an outstanding learning experience. Our expert teaching, state-of-the-art facilities and great employability prepare you for your future career. As part of our commitment to you we aim to keep any additional study costs to a minimum. However, there are occasions where students may incur some additional costs.
Included in your fees
- To welcome you to our team, you’ll receive a University of Derby, Sport and Exercise Science t-shirt
- If a DBS check is needed for the purposes of a module or programme related work placement, this is included in your fee if done via the University
- We will contribute to or pay the full cost of additional qualifications which are arranged by us. For other additional qualifications you’re interested in, we may contribute to or fund these but this is at the Sport department’s discretion
Mandatory costs not included in your fees
- If not already owned, appropriate clothing for practical sessions such as tracksuit bottoms and trainers - approximate cost is £50-£100
- Two bound copies of Independent Study (dissertation) - approximate cost is £12
- Travel to placements - cost varies depending on your placement venue of choice
Optional costs not included in your fees
- Optional textbooks or e-books to support your studies - costs for these are dependent on your choice
- You may wish to undertake additional qualifications as part of your studies such as pitch-side first aid - costs will vary depending on your choice
Please note: Our courses are refreshed and updated on a regular basis. If you are thinking about transferring onto this course (into the second year for example), you should contact the programme leader for the relevant course information as modules may vary from those shown on this page.