Fees and finance for undergraduate courses

Going to university is a real investment in your future. You’ll have two main costs to consider – tuition fees and living costs.

Most students will be able to apply for loans to help pay for these. Depending on where you live and your circumstances, grants, bursaries and scholarships might also be available.

Here’s our detailed guide to what studying at Derby costs and the help that’s available to pay for it. It can be complex, so if you need help making sense of anything, get in touch with us.

Tuition fees

Tuition fees are the money you pay for your course. Find out what your fees might be:

If you start your course in September 2019 or January 2020, you will pay £9,250 per year. These fees are regulated by the UK government and may change each year in line with government policy.

You will pay for each module you plan to study in the coming year. Module costs vary depending on the course – check the fees and finance section of the course page. If you’re paying for yourself, you can spread the cost by making four equal payments each year.

Students from outside the EU who are studying on campus will pay international student fees. All undergraduate fees are £13,250 per year (other than BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy which is £14,250 per year) if you start your course in September 2019 or January 2020. You can find information on international tuition fees on our course pages. Find out more about paying your fees.

Your fees depend on what course you are studying. Online course fees are usually significantly less than on-campus course fees. Check the tuition fees for your online course.

What do tuition fees include?

Your tuition fees pay for your teaching, plus:

Not included:

Placement funding and fees

UK/EU students on a year in industry will pay tuition fees at a reduced rate of £1,000 in the academic year 2018/19 if they are undertaking credit bearing modules. There is no charge for non-credit bearing modules.

If you take a year in industry as part of your course, either in the UK or overseas, you may still be entitled to some statutory support while you are away from the University, providing that it is a recognised element of your course. For more information, please visit the Gov.uk website.

Living costs

You’ll need to budget for your living costs too. These will include:

Loans and grants

To pay for your tuition fees and living costs, you may be able to take out a student loan. Loans need to be paid back but not usually until you have graduated and are earning a good salary. Sometimes, grants are also available ­– it depends on the country you live in and other factors. These don’t need to be paid back.

Find out what funding is available to you for the 2018/2019 academic year:

If you are a UK national or have 'settled status' and normally live in England, you will be able to take out a loan to pay for all of your tuition fees. You’ll also be able to take out a loan to help pay for your living costs. If you study in Derby, the maximum you'll currently get for living costs is:

  • £8,700 if you live away from home
  • £7,324 if you live with your parents or guardians

You need to pay these loans back but not until you have graduated and your salary is over £25,000. Read more about loans for full-time students

As a part-time student, you can currently apply for a tuition fee loan of up to £6,935 per year - if you are a UK national or have 'settled status' and normally live in England - as long as you will complete at least 25% of an equivalent full-time course. This percentage is known as course intensity and, if you’re not sure what your course intensity is, check with your course leader (listed on the course page).

If you are studying on campus, you can also apply for a loan for living costs. The amount you get depends on your household income, where you live while studying and your course intensity. Find out more about loans for part-time study

If you are a UK national or have 'settled status' and normally live in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland, you should be eligible for loans, and possibly grants, to fund your studies. Check these websites for the latest information:

You should be able to get a tuition fee loan to help fund your study at Derby. Depending on how long you have been living in the UK, you may also be entitled to a loan for living costs. Find out more about loans for EU students

We offer a limited number of scholarships and bursaries for international students every year. You need to apply for these and if you are successful, they could help pay for some of your fees.

If you live in the US, you may also be eligible for a US Federal Loan.

Bursaries and scholarships

You may be eligible for one of our bursaries or scholarships, which provide a small contribution towards the costs of studying with us. These can range from £100 to £5,000 and you usually have to meet certain criteria to get these. Scholarships and bursaries are available for both UK/EU and international students.

Bursaries and scholarships are available for the 2018/19 academic year.

Find out more

Got a question?

Student Records and Fees

T: +44 (0)1332 591063
E: studentrecordsandfees@derby.ac.uk

We're available to answer your questions Monday to Thursday 9am-5pm, Friday 9am-4.30pm.

Student Money Advice and Rights Team

Our friendly Student Money Advice & Rights Team (SMART) are on hand to offer more advice: 

T: +44 (0)1332 592000 (Monday to Friday, 10am-11am and 1pm-2pm)
E: smart@derby.ac.uk

Student with backpack looking into the distance

Undergraduate Prospectus

Our undergraduate prospectus provides you with the perfect introduction to life as a student here at the University of Derby.

Order your prospectusOrder your prospectus