Full-time: 3 years, Part-time: 6 years
£9,250 per year (2023/24)
£14,045 per year (2023/24)
112-120 (September 2023 entry)
Kedleston Road, Derby Campus
We offer an amazing overall student package that prepares you for an exciting career in all areas of Sport Management. You will stand out from the crowd. On this course you will:
- Study a programme that's accredited by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI), and has recognised degree status awarded by the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM)
- You’ll gain guaranteed work placement hours at a professional League One football club - Derby County
- Gain a L5 Diploma in Management and Leadership from the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) alongside your degree. There are no additional costs or assessments for this
- Our professional mentoring scheme will inspire and motivate you - you’ll have the opportunity to be supported by a CMI mentor at every stage of your degree
- As this degree has recognised degree status by the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM), you gain exemptions from professional marketing qualifications too
- Work related learning, live assessment briefs and topical case studies will give you plenty of opportunities for applied experiences
- Once you graduate you’ll be able to use the post-nominal letters FCMGR (Foundation Chartered Manager) after your name to show that you are on the pathway to Chartered Manager status
Top 3for Hospitality, Event Management and Tourism subject area*
9th in the UK for student satisfaction with teaching - BA (Hons) Sport Management*
100%of students agreed staff are good at explaining things*
This Sport Management programme is accredited by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) which is dedicated to promoting excellence in management and leadership. It is one of the few degrees in the country where you can graduate with the CMI L5 Diploma in Management and Leadership alongside your degree.
The Diploma is the benchmark for full CMI membership and takes you a step towards Chartered Manager status, signalling to prospective employers that you’re equipped for senior sport and business management roles. There is no additional cost, and you won’t need to take extra exams or coursework to achieve this Diploma.
Throughout the degree you will have access to CMI networking events, online resources and additional benefits to support your career development and employability.
Recognised Degree Status
This programme is also a Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) recognised degree meaning that the marketing content of the course has been mapped against the CIMs unique professional marking competencies. Graduates will be able to demonstrate the high standards required by those working as marketing professionals in sport. You will gain exemptions from the CIM Certificate in Professional Digital Marketing to advance your career.
The CMI accreditation will open up an extensive network of professional contacts within sport and business management for you. You’ll have the opportunity to be supported by a CMI mentor at every stage of your degree.
Your mentor will be a Chartered Manager or Fellow of the CMI with a wealth of insights and management experience to share with you. They will advise and support you, showing how sport and business management principles can be applied directly in the workplace.
Guaranteed Work Placement
You are guaranteed work placement hours at our professional League One football club Derby County at every stage of your degree. You’ll take learning from the classroom and put it straight into practice in the workplace.
In the first year you’ll experience working in all departments of the club including marketing, commercial, ticketing and community. You’ll also receive an induction including talks from senior managers and departmental heads. In the second year you will specialise in a department of your choice and have the opportunity to work on matchdays including crowd and safety management. In the final year you will have the opportunity to present your research findings ‘Apprentice style’ to senior managers at the club.
You will be taught by a highly qualified and experienced team with an impressive track record for teaching, research and broad industry-based experience. The team has extensive contacts in the sport management industry, and you will be able to network with those connections to support your learning and development.
Unique Learning Experiences
Your learning will be enriched by a range of unique learning experiences at every stage of the degree. You’ll plan a one-day sport event at Derby County FC in the first year with the opportunity to ‘play on the Pride Park stadium’ pitch at the end of the season. In the second year you’ll be involved in the planning and delivery of the Derby 10km road race. In the final year you will work with other students to plan your own sport event. There will also be opportunities to work on live assessment briefs with Sporting Communities, Mickleover FC, Pastures Golf Course and Derby Rugby Club.
"The three years that I spent studying this course were amazing. After graduating, I started my first full-time job as a Racing Sales Executive with Uttoxeter Racecourse, as I had already completed a placement there during my studies. I now work for Porsche Club GB as a Digital Executive and I’m responsible for all social content for their events. I always knew I wanted to work in motorsports but without this course, I would never have been able to achieve it." Becky Tarling, Sport Management Graduate
Sport and Exercise Science - your questions answered
In the below video, Head of Discipline for Sport and Exercise Science, Andy Hooton, answers some of the most frequently asked questions about Sport and Exercise Science at the University of Derby. You can also watch exclusive subject content by signing up to Derby on Demand.
The University of Derby is a sporting hub for talented athletes and coaches. We have a track record of improving the performance of our University sports clubs and we have created an infrastructure to provide support for talented athletes. We offer a programme that aims to help talented student-athletes realise their sporting potential while supporting them through their academic studies. We offer scholarships of up to £6,000 and provide tailored athlete-support packages delivered by an experienced multi-disciplinary Performance Sport team. Two of the Universities most recent successful sports scholars are Charlie Tanfield (World Champion and Commonwealth Cycling gold medallist) and Jack Burnell (European Open Water silver medallist 2016 and Olympian 2016).
Join Team Derby
If you enjoy a challenge and would like to make the most of your own sporting passion and prowess, you could become involved with which is the focal point for the University’s sporting community. It encompasses all aspects of sport, including courses, numerous sports clubs, the Athletics Union and sport development activities. You can also take part in the national BUCS (British Universities and Colleges Sport) competitions.
Please note that our modules are subject to change - we review the content of our courses regularly, making changes where necessary to improve your experience and graduate prospects.
Learning in the classroom
Our teaching methods are varied, interactive and engaging. You'll take part in:
- Formal lectures
- Tutor-led and student led seminars
- One to one and small group tutorials
- Live assessment briefs
- Self-directed study
- Optional internship opportunities
Learning in the workplace
Areas of work experience at sporting organisations such as Derby County FC includes:
- Marketing, Media and PR: You will work as part of live sport events for Derby County FC with the eyes of national journalists in attendance. You’ll learn how press releases and social media campaigns are created and sent out to the public whilst working alongside marketing professionals
- Sport Sponsorship: From selling stadium naming rights to commercial partnerships, you’ll learn and experience first hand the number one form of income generation in sport – sponsorship
- Event Management: You will work on matchdays supporting Derby County staff to help 30,000 spectators to enjoy the game safely. You’ll also work as part of the community department organising and delivering the Derby 10km. Event management is a key role in sport, and you will be at the heart of it in Derby
- Talent Management: Professional athletic careers are short-lived, and the role of a sport management team and agents is essential in guiding the pathway to success. Learn first-hand the role a sport agent plays in working on areas such as player contracts, negotiation, endorsements and networking
- Ticketing and Data Management: Learn how Derby County use a unique ticketing system that determines the price of a ticket based on the opposition, time of year, pre-season ticket sales, season ticket sales and the day of the week. You’ll learn about this system and how data management underpins the club’s approach to ticketing
- Research and Presentations: Students will get the opportunity to work on real-world research and consultancy projects on behalf of Derby County. More importantly, rather than presenting to your tutor you’ll get the opportunity to sit in the executive boardroom at the club and present your findings to the senior executives at the club
We also have a diverse range of guest speakers to inspire you and share their stories. Previously we have had Stephen Pearce (Derby County CEO), Darryl Eales (Chairperson Solihull Moors FC), Dr. Cham Kang (Managing Director Qinesis) and Don Amott (Leisure Business Owner & University of Derby Honorand).
Industrial Placement Year
You can choose to take a placement year between year two and three of your degree, which can enhance your employability and improve your prospects post-graduation. We can help you find a placement and provide support during your year in industry. One example was a student who completed a placement year at Adidas, completed their studies and returned to the company full-time on graduation.
How you're assessed
Our assessment strategy has been informed by employers, the CMI and the CIM. We assess you on the sort of tasks that you might undertake in the workplace. There are therefore no formal examinations on the programme. We sometimes assess you as an individual and at other times you will be working as part of a group. Your assignments could include:
- Business reports
- Presentations including sales pitches
- Research projects
- Live assessment briefs
- Design of digital materials including websites, videos and/or blogs
- Computer based assessments
Personal academic tutoring
Your personal academic tutor will work with you to help you get the most out of your time at university. Having someone to talk to about your academic progress, your university experience and your professional aspirations is hugely valuable. We want you to feel challenged in your studies, stretched but confident to achieve your academic and professional goals.
Find out more about personal academic tutoring
These are the typical qualification requirements for September 2023 entry.
|Requirement||What we're looking for|
|GCSE||GCSE Maths and English Grade 4/Grade C (or above) or equivalent qualification|
|Access to HE||Pass Access to HE Diploma with 60 credits: 45 at Level 3 with a minimum of Distinction: 15, Merit: 24, Pass: 6|
English language requirements
IELTS: 6.0 (with at least 5.5 in each skills area)
2023/24 Fees (August 2023 - July 2024)
£9,250 per year
£1,155 per 20 credit module
£14,045 per year
Further information about our fees and support you may be entitled to.
Additional costs and optional extras
How to apply
Please look at our application deadlines before you apply.
Your qualifications and experience will equip you for a rewarding career in sport and/or business management. They will also identify you as having the potential for promotion to senior management positions and as someone who can work to high ethical standards. Careers include marketing, media, finance, human resource management, sport sponsorship, event management, ticketing, and data management.
Former graduates of the programme have gone on to work as a range of sport organisations including Football League Clubs, Adidas, Porsche and Gulliver’s Sport Travels for example. Others have become business consultants, sport development officers, education managers or event organisers. Some even plan to work in sport management overseas including the NFL, NBA or MLB. Some students go on to use the entrepreneurial skills gained during their degree to set up their own business.
If you need any more information from us, eg on courses, accommodation, applying, car parking, fees or funding, please contact us and we will do everything we can to help you.Contact us
Additional information about your studies
Like most universities, we operate extended teaching hours at the University of Derby, so contact time with your lecturers and tutors could be anytime between 9am and 9pm. Your timetable will usually be available on the website 24 hours after enrolment on to your course.
Additional costs and optional extras
We’re committed to providing you with an outstanding learning experience. Our expert teaching, excellent facilities and great employability prepare you for your future career. As part of our commitment to you we aim to keep any additional study costs to a minimum. However, there are occasions where students may incur some additional costs.
Please also note that due to the current Covid-19 situation, if your course offers fieldtrips, the location of these may change or be cancelled. If this happens, you will be communicated to in advance and we will do our very best to seek out other practical opportunities to ensure your experience is not affected.
The information provided on this page is correct at the time of publication but course content, costs and other individual course details do change from time to time and are updated as often as possible, so please do check these pages again when making your final decision to apply for a course. Any updated course details will also be confirmed to you at application, enrolment and in your offer letter.
Included in your fees
- To welcome you to our team, you’ll receive a University of Derby, Sport and Exercise Science t-shirt
- We will contribute to or pay the full cost of additional qualifications which are arranged by us. For other additional qualifications you’re interested in, we may contribute to or fund these but this is at the Sport department’s discretion
- If a DBS check is needed for the purposes of a module or programme related work placement, this is included in your fee if done via the University
Mandatory costs not included in your fees
- If not already owned, formal business attire is required for your placements - approximate cost is between £50-£200
- Two bound copies of your Independent Study (dissertation) - approximate cost is £12
- Travel to placements - Derby County, iPro stadium - cost varies depending on method of transport and location
Optional costs not included in your fees
- Recommended Books - costs will vary depending on your choice
- You may wish to undertake additional qualifications as part of your studies, costs will vary depending on your choice
Please note: Our courses are refreshed and updated on a regular basis. If you are thinking about transferring onto this course (into the second year for example), you should contact the programme leader for the relevant course information as modules may vary from those shown on this page.
Other courses you might like