Full-time: 3 years, Part-time: 6 years
£9,250 per year* (2020/21)
£14,045 per year (2020/21)
120 (September 2020 entry)
Kedleston Road, Derby Campus
Sport has become one of the world’s most lucrative and high-profile business sectors. Choose our pioneering BA (Hons) Sport Management course to launch your career in an industry which never fails to thrill.
- 90% of our BA (Hons) Sport Management students are satisfied with teaching on the course (National Student Survey 2019)
- Experience working in the industry through placements at Derby County FC, Uttoxeter Race Course, Derby Arena, Team Derby and other sport businesses
- Gain hands-on experience in organising large sporting events – from football and cricket to basketball and half marathons
- Develop in-depth knowledge of sport marketing, media, PR, finance, events, operations and international sport
- Build strategic, leadership and enterprise skills for a successful future in sport management
- Join a sport course which is ahead of the game: ours was the first degree of its kind in the country to guarantee every student a sport business work placement during each year of their studies
A sporting career that means business
There is no doubt that sport is big business. Just think of the global appetite for the Olympics or our own Premier League, the multi-million pound sponsorship deals, the unprecedented sums generated by broadcasting rights, and the way sport can generate economic growth in our communities.
Our BA (Hons) Sport Management is your entrance ticket to this exciting world. You can combine your passion for sport with the business management skills it takes to succeed.
Unique learning experiences
In addition to classroom-based learning, you’ll see the business of sport in close-up, developing your management and leadership prowess in a real-world context.
At every level of study, there is the chance for you to work within a professional environment including Derby County FC, Uttoxeter Race Course, Derby Arena, Team Derby.
You’ll also get involved in delivering sports events nationwide. In the past year alone, our students have assisted in the organisation of Championship and FA Cup football matches, T20 cricket matches, National Basketball League matches and the Derby Half Marathon and 10k races.
Skills to take you far
This is a hugely varied sport degree. We will develop your expertise in areas such as international sport; sports event management; marketing, media and business development; sport policy and planning; sport finance; and professional development.
In just one example, our partnership with Derby County Football Club has seen students get involved with commercial partnerships and sponsorship, corporate hospitality and retail management; take part in crowd management on match days; learn about sophisticated ticketing systems; explore legal and HR issues surrounding staff contracts; and undertake consultancy and research projects on behalf of the club.
Be inspired by the experts
Drawing on our exceptional network of contacts, we offer you the chance to learn from leading industry professionals from around the world – with UK-based guest lectures and masterclasses delivered online from overseas.
Your studies will be engaging and inspirational. An unusual induction week exercise saw our students team up with their counterparts from Derby Business School to take part in a Dragons’ Den style exercise. As part of this three-day challenge, they were able to talk to Derby County FC owner Mel Morris about everything from player recruitment strategy to club finance and commercial issues.
Please note that our modules are subject to change - we review the content of our courses regularly, making changes where necessary to improve your experience and graduate prospects.
You’ll learn through traditional lectures, seminars, and tutorial frameworks, combined with on-the-job learning in work placement opportunities, field based sessions, and assessments through DCFC and other professional sport organisations. You’ll benefit from international guest lecturers via online communication, UK-based guest lectures, independent study, group consultancy work for industry and ongoing professional development activities.
Areas of study include:
- Marketing, Media and PR: Work within live sports events for sports organisations including Derby County (DCFC), Derby Arena and Uttoxeter Race Course with the eyes of the international media and national journalists in attendance, learn how press releases and social media campaigns are created and sent out to the public working side by side with marketing professionals from our prtner organisations.
- Sport Sponsorship: From selling stadium naming rights to commercial partnerships for billboard branding, you will learn and experience first-hand about the number one form of income generation in sport – sponsorship
- Event Management: From working on a match day supporting the DCFC staff to help 30,000 people enjoy the game, to working as part of the event team to deliver the Derby half marathon with Sporting Futures or setting up the stage for the National Basketball League. Event management is a key role in sport and you will be at the heart of it in Derby
- Talent Management: Professional athletes careers can be short lived, and the role of a sport management team and sports agents is an essential one to guide the pathway to success. Learn first hand about the role that a sports agent plays in working on areas such as contracts, negotiation, endorsements and networking.
- Ticketing and data management: Learn about how organisations such as DCFC use a unique ticketing system that works out the price of a ticket based on the opposition, time of year, pre-season ticket sales, season ticket sales and the day of the week. The price of the ticket will change as the date of the fixture draws closer and you’ll learn about how and why this system is in place
- Research and presentations: Students will get the opportunity to work on real-life consultancy and research projects on behalf of DCFC. More importantly, rather than presenting back to the lecturer you’ll get the opportunity to sit in the DCFC board room and present face to face to the club’s senior management team
The main reason I chose this course is that it teaches you a lot about what the football industry looks like and what it’s like to work in a managerial position. Another attraction is the internships offered at Derby County Football Club.
Sport Management student
How you're assessed
You will be assessed using a range of methods, including coursework, exams, group work, online discussions, presentations, and case studies. Regular feedback is provided to support assessments and develop a greater understanding of what you need to work in the sports industry.
Personal academic tutoring
Your personal academic tutor will work with you to help you get the most out of your time at university. Having someone to talk to about your academic progress, your university experience and your professional aspirations is hugely valuable. We want you to feel challenged in your studies, stretched but confident to achieve your academic and professional goals.
Find out more about personal academic tutoring
September 2020 typical entry requirements
|Requirement||What we're looking for|
|UCAS points||120 (up to 16 from AS-levels)|
|Specific requirements at A-level|
No specific subject requirements
|Specific requirements at GCSE||GCSE Maths and English Grade C/Grade 4 (or above) or equivalent qualification|
|IELTS||6.0 (with 5.5 in each skills area)|
|Interview / Audition||N/A|
Alternative entry qualifications:
- BTEC - DDM
- Access to HE Diploma - 60 credits: 45 at level 3 with a minimum of Dist: 15 Merit: 24 Pass: 6
We usually consider an A-level in General Studies as a supplementary qualification. A good application/performance will be taken into account if you do not meet the criteria/offer conditions.
An Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service certificate cleared by the University is required for this course. We will contact you with information on how to complete this once you have applied. More information.
Our entry requirements for this course should be read together with the University's general entry requirements, which details subjects we accept, alternative qualifications and what we're looking for at Derby.
£9,250 per year*
£1,155 per module*
£14,045 per year
* The fees stated above are for the 2019/20 academic year; fees for 2020/21 have not yet been confirmed by the UK government. We will update this information as soon as it is available.
Further information about our fees and support you may be entitled to.
Additional costs and optional extras
As a BA (Hons) Sport Management graduate, you can progress to a wide range of roles within professional sports clubs – such as marketing executive, facility manager, social media manager, commercial sponsorship manager or sport event manager.
You could also seek a business management career in broader fields including the events industry with concerts and festivals. In addition, there is the potential to progress to postgraduate study or teacher training with a focus on sport or business.
Enhance your employability in sport at the University of Derby
If you need any more information from us, eg on courses, accommodation, applying, car parking, fees or funding, please contact us and we will do everything we can to help you.Contact us
Additional information about your studies
Download programme specification
Like most universities, we operate extended teaching hours at the University of Derby, so contact time with your lecturers and tutors could be anytime between 9am and 9pm. Your timetable will usually be available on the website 24 hours after enrolment on to your course.
Additional costs and optional extras
We’re committed to providing you with an outstanding learning experience. Our expert teaching, excellent facilities and great employability prepare you for your future career. As part of our commitment to you we aim to keep any additional study costs to a minimum. However, there are occasions where students may incur some additional costs.
Included in your fees
- To welcome you to our team, you’ll receive a University of Derby, Sport and Exercise Science t-shirt
- If a DBS check is needed for the purposes of a module or programme related work placement, this is included in your fee if done via the University
- We will contribute to or pay the full cost of additional qualifications which are arranged by us. For other additional qualifications you’re interested in, we may contribute to or fund these but this is at the Sport department’s discretion
Mandatory costs not included in your fees
- If not already owned, formal business attire is required for your placements - approximate cost is between £50-£200
- Two bound copies of your Independent Study (dissertation) - approximate cost is £12
- Travel to placements - Derby County, iPro stadium - cost varies depending on method of transport and location
Optional costs not included in your fees
- Recommended Books - costs will vary depending on your choice
- You may wish to undertake additional qualifications as part of your studies, costs will vary depending on your choice
Please note: Our courses are refreshed and updated on a regular basis. If you are thinking about transferring onto this course (into the second year for example), you should contact the programme leader for the relevant course information as modules may vary from those shown on this page.