As sport becomes an ever more powerful industry in the global market place, there has never been a better time to consider a career in sport management. Choose our honours degree with a foundation year to keep ahead of the game.
- Select our four-year course to smooth your academic progress and gain all the support and guidance you need
- Realise your potential: a course with a foundation year is ideal if you are contemplating a career change, want to immerse yourself in a new subject, or lack the entry requirements to join our honours degree straight away
- Take your first steps towards a dream career: you could go on to work behind-the-scenes with professional sports clubs or at major international sporting events
- Build wide-ranging skills in strategy, leadership, enterprise, marketing, media, PR, finance, events and operations – all with a focus on the sports business environment
- Apply theory to practice through placement opportunities with the likes of Derby County FC, Utoxeter Race Course, Derby Arena, Team Derby and other sport businesses
- Assist with the organisation of major sporting events – from football and cricket to basketball and half marathons
Distinctive and dynamic, this course will appeal to anyone with an enthusiasm for sport and a thirst for business and management knowledge. It provides a compelling mix of skills to put you at the forefront of what is one of the most lucrative and high-profile business sectors of all.
Start your journey at foundation level
The foundation year route has been introduced to cater for students with the ability and drive to study with us but without the formal qualifications to enter the honours degree directly. It also supports anyone keen to forge a new direction in their career or to experience an area of academic study which might be new to them.
Your foundation year will cover a wide range of subjects which give you the ideal platform for progressing to honours degree studies. They include sport and exercise, human behaviour, sociology and contemporary issues in business, together with study skills, research methods and data handling.
Throughout we provide extra support to build your confidence so that you are fully prepared to progress to the first stage of your honours degree. Because a University of Derby degree with foundation year is continuous, you won’t need to apply again to complete your full BA (Hons) qualification.
Why our degree is the business
The career scope is limitless when you think of the momentous developments transforming sport today – from the multi-million pound sponsorship deals to the unprecedented sums generated by broadcasting rights, from the media clamour surrounding sports stars to the way our growing appetite for sport is harnessed to bolster economic growth in local communities.
Sports event management, marketing, media relations, business development, sport policy and planning, sport finance and international sport business – all will form a crucial part of your studies on this hugely varied degree. You’ll also build broader skills in research methods, strategy and professional practice.
Learning in a real-world context
You will see the business of sport up close. We take you beyond the classroom so that you can develop your management and leadership know-how in real professional scenarios.
Our BA (Hons) Sport Management broke new ground by becoming the first course of its kind in the country to guarantee every student a sport business work placement during each year of their studies. Our students have gained invaluable insights through working directly with names such as Derby County Football Club, Derbyshire County Cricket Club, Derby Arena, Derby City Council, Sport-80, Team Raleigh, Team Derby and Sporting Futures.
In just one example, our partnership with Derby County FC has seen our students attend live press conferences; get involved with commercial hospitality and retail management; take part in crowd management on match days; learn about sophisticated ticketing systems; explore legal and HR issues surrounding staff contracts; and undertake consultancy and research projects on behalf of the club.
You’ll also assist with the delivery and organisation of sports events locally and nationally. Recent examples – to name but a few – have included Championship and FA Cup football matches, T20 cricket matches, National Badminton League matches and the Derby Half Marathon.
An engaging and inspirational experience
Our contacts book includes leading industry professionals from around the world, so you will have every chance to build your own networks. We offer an exciting range of guest lectures to broaden your perspectives, including masterclasses delivered online from overseas.
Our lecturing staff are enthusiastic, approachable and committed to making your learning experience lively and stimulating from the outset. An unusual induction week exercise, for instance, saw our students team up with their counterparts from Derby Business School to take part in a Dragons’ Den style exercise. As part of the three-day challenge, they met Derby County FC owner Mel Morris to discuss everything from player recruitment strategy to club finance and commercial issues.
You’ll learn through traditional lectures, seminars, and tutorial frameworks, combined with on-the-job learning in work placement opportunities, field based sessions, and assessments through DCFC and other professional sport organisations. You’ll benefit from international guest lecturers via online communication, UK-based guest lectures, independent study, group consultancy work for industry and ongoing professional development activities.
Areas of study include:
- Marketing, Media and PR: Attend a live press conference at DCFC, with the eyes of the international media and national journalists in attendance, plus you’ll learn how press releases and social media campaigns are created and sent out to the public
- Sport Sponsorship: From selling stadium naming rights to commercial partnerships for billboard branding, you will learn and experience first-hand about the number one form of income generation in sport – sponsorship
- Event Management: From working on a match day supporting the DCFC staff to help 30,000 people enjoy the game, to working as part of the event team to deliver the Derby half marathon with Sporting Futures or setting up the stage for the National Badminton League for its live match on BT Sports. Event management is a key role in sport and you will be at the heart of it in Derby
- Hospitality Management: Be involved with and help plan the commercial hospitality that happens within the club, such as functions, events, and match day catering
- Ticketing: DCFC use a unique ticketing system that works out the price of a ticket based on the opposition, time of year, pre-season ticket sales, season ticket sales and the day of the week. The price of the ticket will change as the date of the fixture draws closer and you’ll learn about how and why this system is in place
- Research and presentations: Students will get the opportunity to work on real-life consultancy and research projects on behalf of DCFC. More importantly, rather than presenting back to the lecturer you’ll get the opportunity to sit in the DCFC board room and present face to face to the club’s senior management team
How you're assessed
You will be assessed using a range of methods, including coursework, exams, group work, online discussions, presentations, and case studies. Regular feedback is provided to support assessments and develop a greater understanding of what you need to work in the sports industry.
September 2019 typical entry requirements
|UCAS points||72 (up to 16 from AS-levels)|
|Specific requirements at A-level||N/A|
|Specific requirements at GCSE|
GCSE Maths and English are preferred, however if you don't have these qualifications you will be able to undertake Maths and English at L2 as part of your course of study.
|Interview / Audition||N/A|
Alternative entry qualifications:
- BTEC - MPP
- Pass Access to HE Diploma 60 credits: 45 at Level 3 and 15 at Level 2.
We usually consider an A-level in General Studies as a supplementary qualification. A good application/performance will be taken into account if you do not meet the criteria/offer conditions.
Our entry requirements for this course should be read together with the University's general entry requirements, which details subjects we accept, alternative qualifications and what we're looking for at Derby.
Recent years have seen a dramatic growth in the behind-the-scenes business operations of sport – and with it has come an urgent need for forward-thinking and capable management professionals.
As a BA (Hons) Sport Management graduate, you can advance to a wide range of roles within the sector – such as marketing executive, facility manager, social media manager, commercial sponsorship manager or sport event manager.
The impressive skillset you develop on this course will also prove invaluable for business management careers in broader fields, including the live events industry where the popularity of concerts and festivals continues to escalate.
You could also consider progressing to postgraduate study or teacher training with a focus on sport or business.
If you need any more information from us, eg on courses, accommodation, applying, car parking, fees or funding, please contact us and we will do everything we can to help you.Contact us
† Additional information about your studies
Download programme specification
Like most universities, we operate extended teaching hours at the University of Derby, so contact time with your lecturers and tutors could be anytime between 9am and 9pm. Your timetable will usually be available on the website 24 hours after enrolment on to your course.
Additional costs and optional extras
We’re committed to providing you with an outstanding learning experience. Our expert teaching, state-of-the-art facilities and great employability prepare you for your future career. As part of our commitment to you we aim to keep any additional study costs to a minimum. However, there are occasions where students may incur some additional costs.
Included in your fees
- To welcome you to our team, you’ll receive a University of Derby, Sport and Exercise Science t-shirt
- If a DBS check is needed for the purposes of a module or programme related work placement, this is included in your fee if done via the University
- We will contribute to or pay the full cost of additional qualifications which are arranged by us. For other additional qualifications you’re interested in, we may contribute to or fund these but this is at the Sport department’s discretion
Mandatory costs not included in your fees
- If not already owned, formal business attire is required for your placements - approximate cost is between £50-£200
- Two bound copies of your Independent Study (dissertation) - approximate cost is £12
- Travel to placements - Derby County, iPro stadium - cost varies depending on method of transport and location
Optional costs not included in your fees
- Recommended Books - costs will vary depending on your choice
- You may wish to undertake additional qualifications as part of your studies, costs will vary depending on your choice
Please note: Our courses are refreshed and updated on a regular basis. If you are thinking about transferring onto this course (into the second year for example), you should contact the programme leader for the relevant course information as modules may vary from those shown on this page.