As sport becomes an ever more powerful industry in the global market place, there has never been a better time to consider a career in sport management. Choose our honours degree with a foundation year to keep ahead of the game.
- Select our four-year course to smooth your academic progress and gain all the support and guidance you need
- Once you have completed your foundation year, you'll move onto study a course that is accredited by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI), and has recognised degree status awarded by the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM). You'll also gain a CMI L5 Diploma in Management and Leadership (subject to passing required components)
- Realise your potential: a course with a foundation year is ideal if you are contemplating a career change or want to immerse yourself in a new subject
- Take your first steps towards a dream career: you could go on to work behind-the-scenes with professional sports clubs or at major international sporting events
- Build wide-ranging skills in strategy, leadership, enterprise, marketing, media, PR, finance, events and operations – all with a focus on the sports business environment
- Apply theory to practice through placement opportunities with the likes of Derby County FC, Uttoxeter Race Course, Derby Arena, Team Derby and other sport businesses
- Assist with the organisation of major sporting events – from football and cricket to basketball and half marathons
Distinctive and dynamic, this course will appeal to anyone with an enthusiasm for sport and a thirst for business and management knowledge. It provides a compelling mix of skills to put you at the forefront of what is one of the most lucrative and high-profile business sectors of all.
Sport and Exercise Science - your questions answered
In the below video, Head of Discipline for Sport and Exercise Science, Andy Hooton, answers some of the most frequently asked questions about Sport and Exercise Science at the University of Derby. You can also watch exclusive subject content by signing up to Derby on Demand.
Foundation Year - helping you to achieve more
Including a foundation year as part of your four-year study programme will give you a head start in your academic and professional life. The foundation year offers the chance to strengthen your skills, knowledge and confidence – with extensive support from our expert staff – before you advance to stage one of your honours degree. It could also be beneficial if you are planning a career change and want to get to grips with aspects of subjects which are new to you.
Our degrees with a foundation year are continuous, meaning that you won’t need to apply again once you have successfully completed the first year.
Why our degree is the business
After you've completed your foundation year, you'll then study our BA (Hons) Sport Management course. This programme is accredited by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) which is dedicated to promoting excellence in management and leadership. It is one of the few degrees in the country where you can graduate with the CMI L5 Diploma in Management and Leadership alongside your degree (subject to passing required components).
The Diploma is the benchmark for full CMI membership and takes you a step towards Chartered Manager status, signalling to prospective employers that you’re equipped for senior sport and business management roles. There is no additional cost, and you won’t need to take extra exams or coursework to achieve this Diploma.
The course is also a Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) recognised degree meaning that the marketing content of the course has been mapped against the CIMs unique professional marking competencies. Graduates will be able to demonstrate the high standards required by those working as marketing professionals in sport. You will gain exemptions from the CIM Certificate in Professional Digital Marketing to advance your career.
The career scope is limitless when you think of the momentous developments transforming sport today – from the multi-million pound sponsorship deals to the unprecedented sums generated by broadcasting rights, from the media clamour surrounding sports stars to the way our growing appetite for sport is harnessed to bolster economic growth in local communities.
Sports event management, marketing, media relations, business development, sport policy and planning, sport finance and international sport business – all will form a crucial part of your studies on this hugely varied degree. You’ll also build broader skills in research methods, strategy and professional practice.
Learning in a real-world context
You will see the business of sport up close. We take you beyond the classroom so that you can develop your management and leadership know-how in real professional scenarios.
Our BA (Hons) Sport Management broke new ground by becoming the first course of its kind in the country to guarantee every student a sport business work placement during each year of their studies. Our students have gained invaluable insights through working directly with names such as Derby County Football Club, Derbyshire County Cricket Club, Derby Arena, Derby City Council, Sport-80, Team Raleigh, Team Derby and Sporting Futures.
In just one example, our partnership with Derby County FC has seen our students attend live press conferences; get involved with commercial hospitality and retail management; take part in crowd management on match days; learn about sophisticated ticketing systems; explore legal and HR issues surrounding staff contracts; and undertake consultancy and research projects on behalf of the club.
You’ll also assist with the delivery and organisation of sports events locally and nationally. Recent examples – to name but a few – have included Championship and FA Cup football matches, T20 cricket matches, National Badminton League matches and the Derby Half Marathon.
An engaging and inspirational experience
Our contacts book includes leading industry professionals from around the world, so you will have every chance to build your own networks. We offer an exciting range of guest lectures to broaden your perspectives, including masterclasses delivered online from overseas.
Our lecturing staff are enthusiastic, approachable and committed to making your learning experience lively and stimulating from the outset.
The University of Derby is a sporting hub for talented athletes and coaches. We have a track record of improving the performance of our University sports clubs and we have created an infrastructure to provide support for talented athletes. We offer a Sports Scholarship programme that aims to help talented student-athletes realise their sporting potential while supporting them through their academic studies. We offer scholarships of up to £6,000 and provide tailored athlete-support packages delivered by an experienced multi-disciplinary Performance Sport team.
Join Team Derby
If you enjoy a challenge and would like to make the most of your own sporting passion and prowess, you could become involved with Team Derby which is the focal point for the University’s sporting community. It encompasses all aspects of sport, including courses, numerous sports clubs, the Athletics Union and sport development activities. You can also take part in the national BUCS (British Universities and Colleges Sport) competitions.
Please note that our modules are subject to change - we review the content of our courses regularly, making changes where necessary to improve your experience and graduate prospects.
You’ll learn through traditional lectures, seminars, and tutorial frameworks, combined with on-the-job learning in work placement opportunities, field based sessions, and assessments through DCFC and other professional sport organisations. You’ll benefit from international guest lecturers via online communication, UK-based guest lectures, independent study, group consultancy work for industry and ongoing professional development activities.
Areas of study include:
- Marketing, Media and PR: Attend a live press conference at DCFC, with the eyes of the international media and national journalists in attendance, plus you’ll learn how press releases and social media campaigns are created and sent out to the public
- Sport Sponsorship: From selling stadium naming rights to commercial partnerships for billboard branding, you will learn and experience first-hand about the number one form of income generation in sport – sponsorship
- Event Management: From working on a match day supporting the DCFC staff to help 30,000 people enjoy the game, to working as part of the event team to deliver the Derby half marathon with Sporting Futures or setting up the stage for the National Badminton League for its live match on BT Sports. Event management is a key role in sport and you will be at the heart of it in Derby
- Hospitality Management: Be involved with and help plan the commercial hospitality that happens within the club, such as functions, events, and match day catering
- Ticketing: DCFC use a unique ticketing system that works out the price of a ticket based on the opposition, time of year, pre-season ticket sales, season ticket sales and the day of the week. The price of the ticket will change as the date of the fixture draws closer and you’ll learn about how and why this system is in place
- Research and presentations: Students will get the opportunity to work on real-life consultancy and research projects on behalf of DCFC. More importantly, rather than presenting back to the lecturer you’ll get the opportunity to sit in the DCFC board room and present face to face to the club’s senior management team
How you're assessed
You will be assessed using a range of methods, including coursework, exams, group work, online discussions, presentations, and case studies. Regular feedback is provided to support assessments and develop a greater understanding of what you need to work in the sports industry.
Personal academic tutoring
Your personal academic tutor will work with you to help you get the most out of your time at university. Having someone to talk to about your academic progress, your university experience and your professional aspirations is hugely valuable. We want you to feel challenged in your studies, stretched but confident to achieve your academic and professional goals.
Find out more about personal academic tutoring
These are the typical qualification requirements for September 2023 entry.
|Requirement||What we're looking for|
|GCSE||GCSE Maths and English are preferred, however if you don't have these qualifications you will be able to undertake Maths and English at Level 2 as part of your course of study|
|Access to HE||Pass Access to HE Diploma with 60 credits: 45 at Level 3 and 15 at Level 2|
English language requirements
IELTS: 6.0 (with at least 5.5 in each skills area)
2023/24 Fees (August 2023 - July 2024)
£9,250 per year
£14,045 per year
Further information about our fees and support you may be entitled to.
Additional costs and optional extras
Recent years have seen a dramatic growth in the behind-the-scenes business operations of sport – and with it has come an urgent need for forward-thinking and capable management professionals.
As a BA (Hons) Sport Management graduate, you can advance to a wide range of roles within the sector – such as marketing executive, facility manager, social media manager, commercial sponsorship manager or sport event manager.
The impressive skillset you develop on this course will also prove invaluable for business management careers in broader fields, including the live events industry where the popularity of concerts and festivals continues to escalate.
You could also consider progressing to postgraduate study or teacher training with a focus on sport or business.
If you need any more information from us, eg on courses, accommodation, applying, car parking, fees or funding, please contact us and we will do everything we can to help you.Contact us
Additional information about your studies
Like most universities, we operate extended teaching hours at the University of Derby, so contact time with your lecturers and tutors could be anytime between 9am and 9pm. Your timetable will usually be available on the website 24 hours after enrolment on to your course.
Additional costs and optional extras
We’re committed to providing you with an outstanding learning experience. Our expert teaching, excellent facilities and great employability prepare you for your future career. As part of our commitment to you we aim to keep any additional study costs to a minimum. However, there are occasions where students may incur some additional costs.
The information provided on this page is correct at the time of publication but course content, costs and other individual course details do change from time to time and are updated as often as possible, so please do check these pages again when making your final decision to apply for a course. Any updated course details will also be confirmed to you at application, enrolment and in your offer letter.
Included in your fees
- To welcome you to our team, you’ll receive a University of Derby, Sport and Exercise Science t-shirt
- We will contribute to or pay the full cost of additional qualifications which are arranged by us. For other additional qualifications you’re interested in, we may contribute to or fund these but this is at the Sport department’s discretion
- If a DBS check is needed for the purposes of a module or programme related work placement, this is included in your fee if done via the University
Mandatory costs not included in your fees
- If not already owned, formal business attire is required for your placements - approximate cost is between £50-£200
- Two bound copies of your Independent Study (dissertation) - approximate cost is £12
- Travel to placements - Derby County, iPro stadium - cost varies depending on method of transport and location
Optional costs not included in your fees
- Recommended Books - costs will vary depending on your choice
- You may wish to undertake additional qualifications as part of your studies, costs will vary depending on your choice
Please note: Our courses are refreshed and updated on a regular basis. If you are thinking about transferring onto this course (into the second year for example), you should contact the programme leader for the relevant course information as modules may vary from those shown on this page.