What Funding can I get towards the University

You should apply for student loans and grants as early as possible. For the 2014 academic year applications are open in early 2014. You can also apply for the Disabled Student’s Allowance at the same time. Once you have applied to go to university, you will need to start arranging your funding. The financial help you can receive falls mainly into the following categories:

A brief explanation of how you can access these is provided below. For more detailed information, visit the gov.uk website.

Tuition fees

Students entering university will be required to make a means tested contribution towards their tuition fees.

To assess how much you are expected to pay towards your tuition fees, the awarding authority will look at the income of your parents (if you are considered a dependent of your parents). If you are considered to have 'independent status', your own income will be assessed.

Student loans

Student loans are low interest loans arranged by the government and are provided towards the cost of tuition fees and the cost of living.

Please note that student loans are only available for students on full-time courses. A grant for part-time courses is available, but you will need to speak to us about this as the rates are dependent on how intensive the course of study is.

You will need to contact Student Finance England who will determine your entitlement to any loan/grant, its size, and how much you will have to contribute towards your tuition fees. Once the size of the loan has been calculated, you will need to apply for it through Student Finance England.

Full-time undergraduate student's tuition fees will be paid direct to their university or college on your behalf. Students are required to repay these loans once they have left university.

Other grants and allowances

if you're a student with a learning difficulty, health problem or disability, you can find more information on gov.uk's Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) pages.

For information on the Welfare benefits, visit the National Autistic Society website.

If you are starting a new course, you may be entitled to the non-repayable maintenance grant. This is for students from families with a low income, and eligibility for the grant will be assessed according to the income of the household. A full or partial grant is available, and it is awarded in substitution for part of the student loan for maintenance. Find out more about the extra help that's available on gov.uk's student finance pages

If you are a student from Scotland, you may be entitled to financial help towards the cost of travel. This will depend on your term-time address not being within easy walking distance of where your seminars or lectures are held; or if you live away from your permanent home during term-time.