What to bring

The basics

Not sure where to start?

If you are moving to the UK from another country, we have packing guidance for international students.

Here are some basics you should bring with you:

Things for your room

* Please check what size bed your room has. Many of our rooms have small double beds which are 4ft x 6ft 3inches.

** For safety reasons, all electrical appliances in halls should have the CE (Conformité Européenee) safety mark. Find out how to identify the CE safety mark.

Things for your en-suite or communal bathroom

Bring a supply to start with but afterwards, it might be a good idea to share the cost with your flatmates by having a communal kitty for things that you all use. Alternatively, you could buy online at Unibulkbuy. International students can buy these thing once they are in the UK.

Things for the kitchen

If you're an international student, we'll supply you with a free kitchen pack with all the kitchen basics (a cup, bowl, plate and cutlery) so you can manage on arrival.

bedding, towels, clothes hangers, pans, kitchen utensils and cutlery

Unikitout special offer - 10% discount

Unikitout, the highest-rated student kit provider on Trustpilot, offers a no-quibble, money-back guarantee and 10% discount to all Derby students. To get your discount, use the code DERBY10 when ordering. For maximum convenience, order in advance so your stuff will be in halls when you arrive.

Shop now at UnikitoutShop now at Unikitout

Other important things


If you are on a regular prescription, it's wise to bring a month's supply with you so you have peace of mind. We also recommend you register with a doctor straight after you arrive so you'll be able to see a doctor at short notice. Register with the University Medical Practice.

Money and documents 


Please note that electric scooters are not allowed in halls. 

Don't bring