In these terms and conditions (“Terms”),
• ‘You’, ‘your’ means a graduate or student of the University of Derby
• ‘Us’, ‘we’, ‘our’ means the University of Derby, a higher education institution whose principal place of business is at Kedleston Road, Derby. DE22 1GB.
Acceptance of terms
1. Please read these Terms carefully as your registration, and/or purchase of tickets, for your awards ceremony constitutes your acceptance of these Terms.
2. Where there is any conflict or inconsistency between these Terms and any of our other terms and conditions governing your use of the Website, these Terms shall prevail (solely to the extent necessary to resolve such conflict or inconsistency).
Registration and purchase of tickets
3. If you wish to attend your awards ceremony you are required to register and purchase any guest tickets you require through UDo and your Student Centre in advance. Any registration requests made after the ticket purchase deadline on your invitation will be deferred to the next ceremonies held at Buxton. Your attendance at the awards ceremony is free of charge, although you will need to pay for any guest tickets (£15 each). Tickets are not transferable to another student. The number of tickets available will be detailed in your invitation email.
4. If your award is not confirmed, you will not be eligible to attend the ceremony and your invitation to the ceremonies will be withdrawn. You will be invited to a later ceremony. If you have purchased any guest tickets these will be refunded after the ceremonies have taken place. You will need to re-purchase tickets for a later ceremony if you wish to attend. The University does not accept any liability for any other direct or indirect expenses incurred travel, accommodation etc. without limitation.
5. If you do not achieve the award you registered for and you exit your programme of study with a Certificate of Higher Education or a Diploma of Higher Education you will not be eligible to attend the ceremonies. Any guest tickets you have purchased will be refunded after the ceremonies have taken place. The University does not accept any liability for any other direct or indirect expenses incurred (travel, accommodation etc. without limitation).
6. If you have outstanding tuition fee debts these must be paid. If tuition fee debts are not settled you will not be able to attend the ceremonies. Any tickets you have purchased will be refunded after the ceremonies have taken place. The University does not accept any liability for any other direct or indirect expenses incurred (travel, accommodation etc. without limitation). Your certificate will also be withheld until all tuition fee debts have been settled.
7. Most graduates will choose to wear academic dress, although this is not a requirement. The awards ceremony is a formal occasion and you are expected to dress appropriately. You will need to book and pay for the academic dress and any photographs you require separately with Ede & Ravenscroft. We strongly advise that you do not throw your mortarboard. The University does not accept any liability for any injury caused to yourself or to third parties as a result of mortarboards being thrown.
8. There is no entitlement to change to a different ceremony. In exceptional circumstances, the Academic Registrar may grant a ceremony change. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org giving detailed reasons as to why you wish to attend a different ceremony. Consideration will be given to your request but cannot be guaranteed.
9. If you are unable to attend the ceremonies you may defer your attendance at an awards ceremony by up to one year. In this case please email email@example.com and we will add you to our invite list for the next ceremonies. If any tickets have been purchased these will be refunded if we receive your request before the ceremony. You will need to purchase tickets for the ceremony you defer to.
10. If you studied at one of our partner colleges you may be invited to that College awards ceremony. You may only attend one ceremony. If you choose to attend the College ceremony you will not be eligible for an invitation to the University of Derby’s awards ceremonies. Even if you don’t attend your College ceremony we will not send you an invitation to our ceremonies unless you advise us by email to firstname.lastname@example.org that you would like to attend.
11. If you are a disabled student and need a carer to accompany you to your awards ceremony, you will be entitled to one additional free guest ticket. If this is the case please contact us as soon as possible by email at email@example.com so that we can make appropriate arrangements.
12. We will communicate if we have the capacity to allocate additional tickets.
13. You will receive confirmation of purchase by email as soon as your payment has been processed. You are advised not to make travel arrangements for you or your guests until you have ordered your tickets and received your email payment confirmation and your award has been confirmed by an Assessment Board If you do not receive the confirmation email please contact firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
14. Children aged up to three years old may attend the ceremony without a ticket provided that they sit on the lap of a parent or guardian. Children over the age of three require a guest ticket which will count towards your ticket allocation, (detailed in your invitation email).
15. Tickets will be distributed either through E-tickets or physical tickets posted to UK residents at HOME addresses. Tickets for graduates who live overseas will not be posted. These will be available for collection from the main entrance of the Dome on the day of the ceremony. You will be required to show some identification.
16. We do not accept any responsibility for registrations or guest ticket reservations that we do not receive for any reason, whether lost, delayed, corrupted or otherwise, and whether or not due to any technical difficulties or malfunctions.
17. Tickets purchased on the day, subject to availability, are only available to a guest accompanied by a graduate. A graduate’s student ID card may be used in lieu of the graduate being present.
Cancellation and refunds
18. You may cancel your registration and any guest tickets and lunch tickets by email to email@example.com. If we receive your cancellation before the award ceremony you will be eligible for a refund of any guest ticket fees paid. Refunds will normally be processed after the ceremony. We recommend that tickets returned are sent by recorded delivery. We cannot accept responsibility for tickets not being received. Refunds will be made to the original payment card. See also registration and purchase of tickets in paragraphs 5 and 6 if your award is not confirmed.
On the day
19. All guests and graduates must be seated at least 15 minutes before the ceremony begins. Guest seats are not allocated and seating is on a first-come basis. We reserve the right to refuse entry or remove any graduate or guest where it appears to us in our sole discretion to be necessary for the good conduct of proceedings and/or the safety, health, and wellbeing of graduates, guests, or staff.
How we use your data
20. For further details about how we use your information please review our privacy notice. If you do not wish your information to be used in this way, you must notify us by email to firstname.lastname@example.org before the ceremony.
21. The awards ceremonies are live-streamed across the internet and your name will be announced as you process across the stage, this is a mandatory action for every student attending the awards ceremony. Footage from the awards ceremonies will be made publically available on the University’s website after the awards ceremony.
Fair notice information will be provided in advance and on signs at the event. If you do not wish to be a party to this regrettably we advise that you should consider whether it is in your best interest to attend the ceremonies.
Use of images
22. All awards ceremonies may be photographed, filmed, and/or streamed via live webcast by us or our agents. Fair notice information will be provided in advance and on signs at the event. By registering for an awards ceremony, you are giving your consent to the recording and transmission of images (both still and moving) of you and your guests.
We retain all rights to any images, which may be used for publicity purposes. Footage from awards ceremonies may be made publically available on YouTube after the awards ceremony. Still, images will be published on the University’s website and social media platforms and may be given to a third party to promote the University. If you do not wish to be a party to this regrettably we advise that you should consider whether it is in your best interest to attend the ceremonies.
23. If your awards ceremony cannot take place or is delayed because of circumstances beyond our reasonable control, we will not be liable for any direct or indirect losses incurred by you or your guests.
Examples of such circumstances include (without limitation): war, terrorism, civil commotion; fire, flood, adverse weather, natural disaster, an act of God; outbreak of communicable disease, epidemic, or pandemic; any strike or labour dispute; interruption or failure of any utility service; any law or government order, rule, regulation, or action by a government or public authority.
You and your guests should ensure that you have sufficient insurance protection to cover any losses you may suffer as a result of a ceremony being cancelled or delayed.