Midlands Credit Compass

What is the Midlands Credit Compass?

We understand the unpredictabilities of life and how things can sometimes change, meaning you may have move away from your current place of study. As a University we are working in partnership to ensure students who need to leave their studies are able to return to education if they choose to do so.

We are working in partnership with the following universities:

If you are studying with one of the universties within the Midlands Credit Compass and have to leave, you will be issued with a verified record of your credit achievements. If you then wish to transfer to another university within the Midlands Credit Compass you will be given assistance to transfer your academic credits.

The Midlands Credit Compass Logo

A video about the Midlands Enterprise Universities Credit Compass

View The Midlands Enterprise Universities Credit Compass video transcript

What is 'Credit'?

When you complete a module at university you will receive a number of credits for your studies. These credits can be used in full or in part when you transfer to a course at one of the universities within the Midlands Credit Compass. This means you won't have to repeat the same area of study.

Our commitment to you

Being involved in the Midlands Credit Compass makes it easier for you to transfer to, or return to, one of the universities in the partnership. As part of the service we will:

How do I apply? 

If you're thinking of leaving your current course, please get in touch with your personal tutor in the first instance. They will be able to provide you with guidance and support during this decision-making process and ensure the decision is right for you. 

In the event that you are interested in transferring to one of the esteemed universities affiliated with the Midlands Credit Compass, or if you have already discounted your studies at your current institution, we invite you to access the appropriate link corresponding to the university you wish to apply to. By clicking on the provided link, you will be redirected to the institution's dedicated application enquiry and landing page. You can apply to as many institutions as you wish. 

Please find the relevant links and email contacts below: 

These links will facilitate a smooth transition and enable you to explore the application process thoroughly. We encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity and reach out to the respective universities for any additional information or assistance you require. 

University of Derby

Birmingham City University 

Coventry University 

Universty of Lincoln

Nottingham Trent University

University of Wolverhampton

Please note there is no guarantee you’ll be able to switch to another course at a different course provider. Each university reserves the right to make a decision based upon its individual regulations and admissions procedure.

I left university several years ago, can I still apply?

Yes. Your credit is normally valid for up to 5 years. However, we would like to support you to continue your studies no matter when you left university! Please send an initial enquiry email to your first choice of university.

What do I do if I have lost my transcript or HEAR link?

You can still send an initial enquiry email to your first choice of university. They will help you to get a copy of your academic credit.

I have taken a break but now I wish to return to my original university. What do I do next?

Please contact your university with the information requested in the 'How do I apply?' section, stating that you wish to return to study.

Can I transfer to study a completely different subject?

If you want to study a completely different subject, it is less likely that you can use the credit you have already earned. You can still apply to transfer, but you may have to go back to the beginning of the first year.

Will transferring to another University affect my funding and student loan?

You should still be entitled to funding when you change to the new course, but the rules around this are very complicated – particularly if the transfer requires you to go back a year or more. The university you wish to apply to will support you to understand how your funding will be affected. They'll also be able to advise you about how the transfer will affect any bursary you've received from your university.

Can I still apply if I do not have any credit?

Yes. Even if you do not have any credit to transfer, we would still like to support you in your further studies. However, you may have to undertake the full course if we are unable to accredit any relevant prior learning. Please send an enquiry to your first choice of university.

Can I apply to a university that is not in the Midlands Credit Compass?

Yes, you can apply to any other university you are interested in attending. You may have to pay a small fee (for application through UCAS), and it may take longer to arrange a transfer than through the Midlands Credit Compass. To transfer to a university that is not within the Midlands Credit Compass Group, please contact that university directly.

Visit Midlands Enterprise Universities website

Make an application

* Indicates a required field