Real world learning is what makes studying at Derby different to anywhere else
We work with organisations and employers to make sure your time here gives you the best possible start to your career.
- you’ll have access to events and masterclasses with leading employers and organisations
- you can be mentored by some of our regions’ finest business minds
- shadow a judge and sit on cases with the judiciary for a week to observe legal processes in action
- work on live projects as part of your assignments – see the experiential project our students worked on with TC Harrison Ford
- spend time on an internship or placement. Our students have worked at Bentley, Toyota and Royal Derby Hospital to name a few.
- take part in trips to see what you’re learning in action – from visits to JCB and other leading employers and organisations, to the United Nations and overseas police authorities
- choose to spend a semester studying abroad on our Go Places, Go Further programme
- gain vital experience in our outstanding facilities which include our Bloomberg Financial Markets Lab, law court and interview suite
- attend our Network of Entrepreneurs event and meet local business owners
Find out more about the organisations we work with
Our expert academics have a wealth of practical experience, and with a greater staff to student ratio than most other universities you're guaranteed more dedicated time from your lecturers to help develop skills that employers are looking for.
At Derby you not only learn about your subject area, but with such opportunities at your fingertips, we ensure you leave us as one of the most employable graduates in the East Midlands.
Internships and placements
Boost your career prospects with work experience - you’ll have a wealth of opportunity at your fingertips at Derby.
An internship is a short to medium term paid employment period for undergraduate students or graduates.
Placements are longer term paid work placements for undergraduate students who have completed two years of their degree. Generally they last around 12 months.
Helping you get ready for your internship or placement
Our Employability Advisors help you with writing your CV, finding placement and internship opportunities and interview preparation, through one to one appointments or drop-in sessions.
A variety of short, focused workshops including Commercial Awareness, Social Media and Benefits of Work Experience are also available to you.
We work with a network of partners across the globe who deliver our degrees in country. Our partners include:
- Aventis School of Management, Singapore
- BAC, Bangladesh
- Botswana Accountancy College
- César Ritz, Switzerland
- Escuela Internacional de Gerencia, Granada, Spain
- EU Business School, Barcelona and Munich
- HELP Academy, Malaysia
- IHTTI School of Hotel Management, Switzerland
- Malawi Institute of Management
- Mediterranean College, Greece
- Stenden University of Applied Sciences, Netherlands
- Swiss Hotel Management School, Switzerland
- The London College, UCK