Full-time: 3 years, Part-time: Up to 6 years
£9,250 per year* (2020/21)
£14,045 per year (2020/21)
128 (September 2020 entry)
Kedleston Road, Derby Campus
As demand for skilled sports therapists continues to grow, this new degree will help you develop high-level professional knowledge and skills so that you can go into practice after graduation.
- Choose a course recognised for its high academic quality: our BSc is accredited by The Society of Sports Therapists
- Complete over 200 hours of clinical placements to gain hands-on experience of the profession and apply theory to practice
- Build a thorough understanding of the rehabilitation process, including manual therapy techniques, exercise therapy and sports massage
- Undertake fieldtrips to sporting events
- Make the most of our exceptional sports facilities in our specialist sports centre
- Be inspired by our enthusiastic and expert staff who boast a wealth of professional experience working with elite athletes
This is a dynamic course which will set you apart as an industry-ready sports therapist and rehabilitator.
Fit to practice
As a sports therapist, you will take the lead in directing patients back to optimum levels of functional, occupational and sports-specific fitness. You’ll use sport and exercise principles to help boost performance, devise injury prevention and rehabilitation programmes, and provide assessments and treatments in recreational, training and competitive settings.
Offering a blend of science and practice, this course prepares you for the challenges of the role. You’ll gain a detailed understanding of the human body in terms of anatomy and movement. You’ll also cover all aspects of the rehabilitation process, including manual therapy techniques, exercise therapy, and sports massage.
Our degree has been designed in partnership with The Society of Sports Therapists to ensure you graduate with a nationally recognised qualification and a professional standing within the world of sports therapy. The Society is the lead organisation for sports therapists in the UK and approves degrees which set high professional standards.
On this course, you will have the opportunity to become a member of the society and upon graduation, you will be eligible to apply for full membership as a graduate sports therapist. Many jobs within the sports therapy and rehabilitation arena require applicants to be registered with the Society of Sport Therapists, so this will help you to stand out to employers.
Real world learning in action
Work placements are a key feature of this course. You’ll gain hands-on experience with private therapy clinics and University sports teams to improve your employability. By working with clients under expert supervision, you’ll be ready to practice effectively once you graduate.
Fieldtrips will also broaden your outlook. There are opportunities to visit sporting events such as 10 kilometre runs, half marathons and golf tournaments to see the work of the sports therapist at first hand.
Your learning will be varied and inspirational, with real case studies, laboratory work and problem-solving exercises. You’ll also evaluate the latest research so that you can use it to underpin your practice as a therapist.
Our £10.8m Sports Centre includes sport therapy clinical teaching rooms, a main hall, fitness gym with strength and conditioning area, studios, squash and badminton courts, an internal climbing wall, sprint track, changing rooms, treatment rooms and a café. It complements our existing facilities such as floodlit all-weather pitches and tennis courts.
Learn from the experts
Our teaching team has vast professional experience in sports therapy and rehabilitation. Staff have forged extensive links with sports clubs and provide expert consultancy to elite track and field athletes, golfers and professional footballers.
These strong professional networks will open doors for you, with guest lectures, demonstrations and employer-led projects adding an extra dimension to your studies.
Please note that our modules are subject to change - we review the content of our courses regularly, making changes where necessary to improve your experience and graduate prospects.
You’ll learn through a combination of clinics, lectures, practical sessions, seminars, laboratories, workshops, tutorials, and guided self-study. During your study, you will complete a number of work placements in our real world learning labs and, using the knowledge, skills, and understanding you acquire, you’ll learn to evaluate research and use it to develop your clinical decision making skills and inform your practice as a therapist.
The course assesses the professional, academic, and scientific skills considered key to becoming a research savvy, industry-ready sports therapist and rehabilitator. Assessments will include oral presentations, structured clinical examinations, written projects, problem solving exercises, laboratory reports, professional development work, exercise prescription tasks, essays, practical viva voce, and case studies.
Personal academic tutoring
Your personal academic tutor will work with you to help you get the most out of your time at university. Having someone to talk to about your academic progress, your university experience and your professional aspirations is hugely valuable. We want you to feel challenged in your studies, stretched but confident to achieve your academic and professional goals.
Find out more about personal academic tutoring
Who will teach you
September 2020 typical entry requirements
|Requirement||What we're looking for|
|UCAS points||128 (up to 16 from AS-levels)|
|Specific requirements at A-level||N/A|
|Specific requirements at GCSE||GCSE Maths and English Grade C/Grade 4 (or above) or equivalent qualification|
|IELTS||6.0 (with 5.5 in each skills area)|
|Interview / Audition||N/A|
Alternative entry qualitications
- BTEC - DDM
- Access to HE Diploma 60 credits: 45 at level 3 with a minimum of Dist: 15 Merit: 24 Pass: 6
We usually consider an A-level in General Studies as a supplementary qualification. A good application/performance will be taken into account if you do not meet the criteria/offer conditions.
An Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service certificate cleared by the University is required for this course. We will contact you with information on how to complete this once you have applied. More information.
Our entry requirements for this course should be read together with the University's general entry requirements, which details subjects we accept, alternative qualifications and what we're looking for at Derby.
£9,250 per year*
£1,155 per module*
£14,045 per year
* The fees stated above are for the 2019/20 academic year; fees for 2020/21 have not yet been confirmed by the UK government. We will update this information as soon as it is available.
Further information about our fees and support you may be entitled to.
Additional costs and optional extras
After graduation, you’ll be equipped for a rewarding and challenging role in sports therapy and rehabilitation. Because our course is aligned to the professional guidelines set out by The Society of Sports Therapists, you’ll be fully prepared to operate as an injury and exercise-based rehabilitation and fitness specialist. You’ll also be capable of working in multi/inter-disciplinary healthcare teams.
If you want to take your knowledge of sport to the next level, this degree also acts as a gateway to postgraduate education, with opportunities for you to progress to masters level courses such as our innovative MRes Sport and Exercise programme or our MSc Applied Sport and Exercise Science.
If you need any more information from us, eg on courses, accommodation, applying, car parking, fees or funding, please contact us and we will do everything we can to help you.Contact us
Additional information about your studies
Download programme specification
Like most universities, we operate extended teaching hours at the University of Derby, so contact time with your lecturers and tutors could be anytime between 9am and 9pm. Your timetable will usually be available on the website 24 hours after enrolment on to your course.
Additional costs and optional extras
We’re committed to providing you with an outstanding learning experience. Our expert teaching, excellent facilities and great employability prepare you for your future career. As part of our commitment to you we aim to keep any additional study costs to a minimum. However, there are occasions where students may incur some additional costs.
Included in your fees
- To welcome you to our team, you’ll receive a University of Derby, Sport and Exercise Science t-shirt
- If a DBS check is needed for the purposes of a module or programme related work placement, this is included in your fee if done via the University
- Annual membership of the Society of Sport Therapists for the duration of your studies
- A hydrotherapy and cryotherapy trip
- Pitchside First Aid Qualification (we will contribute to or pay the full cost of additional qualifications which are arranged by us. For other additional qualifications you’re interested in, we may contribute to or fund these but this is at the Sport department’s discretion)
Mandatory costs not included in your fees
- If not already owned, appropriate clothing for practical sessions such as tracksuit bottoms and trainers - approximate cost is £50-£100
- Two bound copies of Independent Study (dissertation) - approximate cost is £12
- Travel to placements - cost varies depending on your placement venue of choice
Optional costs not included in your fees
- You may wish to purchase optional textbooks or e-books to support your studies - costs for these are dependent on your choice
- To support your studies, you may want to invest in additional qualifications such as a Sports Massage Qualification, Kinesiotaping or Safeguarding - costs will vary depending on your choice
Please note: Our courses are refreshed and updated on a regular basis. If you are thinking about transferring onto this course (into the second year for example), you should contact the programme leader for the relevant course information as modules may vary from those shown on this page.