Full-time: 1 year, Part-time: 2 years
£9,250 per year (2019/20)
£13,250 per year (2019/20)
- This one year top-up degree is designed specifically for students who have been unable to pursue a full degree programme in International Business previously. It adopts a multidisciplinary approach to international business, giving you a chance to study applied analysis in economics, strategy, law, finance, marketing and human resources
- You will be part of a highly diverse international student cohort which will enhance your understanding of cultural diversity and international business awareness. You will join our highly successful network of alumni working around the world
- You will benefit from our unique approach to employability, networking with our regional experts and international business leaders and working towards gaining the University of Derby Futures Award in Networking and Economic, Financial and Commercial Awareness in International Business. You will also have access to a first class professional career service even after graduating
- Every student on our programme gets support and advice on academic achievement and career development from a personal tutor who is part of the programme team. The programme has specific features designed to support the achievement of non-UK students
- If you want to continue your studies in international business at postgraduate level, this programme is explicitly paired to our MSc International Business or can lead smoothly on to our MSc International Business and Finance, MSc International Business and HRM or MSc International Business and Marketing.
Derby Business School brochure
This programme will give you a deep understanding of today’s increasingly internationalised, complex and dynamic business environment. It integrates analysis from various disciplines including international business strategy, management and marketing, international economics and international trade legislation.
Whether you are from the UK, EU or from overseas, if you have a business HND or equivalent or are about to complete your second year of university business studies, this final year degree top-up programme will give you the choice and flexibility to graduate with an International Business degree.
The top-up is a particularly good financial deal for international students, who can obtain a globally recognised UK degree, at the cost of only one year of study in the UK.
The programme is aimed at students from a generalist background who want a specialist focus. The programme will give you a deep understanding of today’s increasingly internationalised, complex and dynamic business environment. It integrates analysis from various disciplines including international business strategy, management and marketing, international economics and international trade legislation.
You will analyse the different economic environments and national cultures in which business operates, learning how to attract customers in international markets and how to expand a local business into a global one.
You will look at international regulations and policies, and their impact on business strategies while developing your understanding of international strategy, problem solving and decision-making processes.
Keeping right up to date with what’s happening in the world economy, you use actual case studies and benefit from the insight of expert speakers from the international financial sector.
We’ll also help you develop the skills employers look for in their graduate employees, from report writing and analysis, through to presentation skills.
You'll study modules such as:
* Please note that if you have no previous academic experience of the UK education system, then you are required to take the module Critical Analysis in an International Business Context as one of your options.
A wide range of coursework assessment methods are used on the course, many of which are designed to improve your transferable skills and overall employability. You may be creating strategy documents, international business analysis reports, creating presentations or videos, or analysing information from Bloomberg on international markets and organisations. You'll work alone and as part of a team and you'll be marked on elements of reflective practice. There is a mix of writing essays, creating a portfolio of relevant work and undertaking computer based assessments. Feedback will be provided at every opportunity in order to enable you to monitor your own progress and development.
Who you will meet
Dr Eugene Michaels is Programme Leader for the MSc International Business and the BA (Hons) top-ups that are part of the International Business suite of programmes in the Business School and leads a number of Economics modules at undergraduate and postgraduate level. He is accredited with the Higher Education Academy and focuses his efforts on getting his students to apply economic reasoning, think critically and see the relevance to their own personal lives. Eugene’s key research interests lie in the implications of behavioural economics on individuals’ financial wellbeing and government policy.
Melanie Powell is the Programme Leader for the MSc International Business and Finance degree. She is the joint author of a leading European Economics textbook, is widely published and is accredited at high level with the Higher Education Academy. She is passionate about inspirational and research backed education. Her research is focused on behavioural economics and financial market behaviour. Melanie wants every student that goes through her hands to be changed and have a new way of looking at the world that gives them confidence, decision making skills and a fascination for economic activity for life.
Dr Nicola Lynch is an applied economist who researches on public policy issues. Nicola leads a number of undergraduate and postgraduate modules and believes in providing our students with a unique and invaluable learning experience. She believes in providing a learning environment where students can develop academically and personally as they progress through their studies here in the Derby Business School.
Dr Weiwei Yang is a committed lecturer with experience of teaching a wide range of subjects in Finance and Economics. Her teaching philosophy is to inspire and motivate students, changing from passive learning to active learning. Weiwei’s research interest lies in the area of banking efficiency, market competition, corporate governance and corporate social responsibility.
Typical entry requirements
You need to have an HND or Foundation degree in a relevant subject.
When you apply, please send us a transcript of the modules you have already studied so that we can make sure that the HND or Foundation degree is compatible with the top-up programme.
Our entry requirements for this course should be read together with the University's general entry requirements, which details subjects we accept, alternative qualifications and what we're looking for at Derby.
This programme offers broader and deeper business education that will suit your needs if you wish to pursue a career associated with international business in both the private and public sectors.
On successful completion of the BA (Hons) International Business, you will be highly employable in international trade, transport and logistics corporations, financial institutions involved with trade and investment, firms engaged with business process outsourcing, international trade government agencies, international business consultancy any many others.
The course also provides another point of entry to the MSc programmes available at the University of Derby including MSc International Business and Finance, MSc International Business and Marketing, MSc International Business and HRM and MSc International Business. You can enjoy an alumni discount of up to 25% when progressing onto a Masters programme.
If you need any more information from us, eg on courses, accommodation, applying, car parking, fees or funding, please contact us and we will do everything we can to help you.Contact us
† Additional information about your studies
Download programme specification
Like most universities, we operate extended teaching hours at the University of Derby, so contact time with your lecturers and tutors could be anytime between 9am and 9pm. Your timetable will usually be available on the website 24 hours after enrolment on to your course.
Additional costs and optional extras
We’re committed to providing you with an outstanding learning experience. Our expert teaching, state-of-the-art facilities and great employability prepare you for your future career. As part of our commitment to you we aim to keep any additional study costs to a minimum. However, there are occasions where students may incur some additional costs.
Included in your fees
- Bloomberg data usage within modules with access to Bloomberg terminals for specified assessments
- Statistical analysis software SPSS for use in modules
- Some taster events- transport costs covered
- Opportunities to enter IBM University Business Challenge, CIMA Global Business Challenge and University Trading Challenge
- Part funded trip to Copenhagen for 2nd and 3rd year students. Optional with limited places available.
Optional costs not included in your fees
- Opportunity to apply for CMI student membership and Institute of Directors membership
- Some taster events- transport costs
Please note: Our courses are refreshed and updated on a regular basis. If you are thinking about transferring onto this course (into the second year for example), you should contact the programme leader for the relevant course information as modules may vary from those shown on this page.