- This one year top-up degree programme is designed specifically for students who have been unable to pursue a full degree programme in International Business and/or International Finance previously. It adopts a multidisciplinary approach to international business, giving you a chance to study applied analysis in economics, strategy, finance and accounting.
- Building on previously acquired business knowledge and skills, it focuses on international financial markets and the far-reaching impact of their activity. It delves deeply into the workings of international business, where flexibility and willingness to adapt are crucial in today’s increasingly internationalised and dynamic business environment.
- You will be part of a highly diverse international student cohort which will enhance your understanding of cultural diversity and international business awareness. You will join our highly successful network of alumni working around the world.
- You will benefit from our unique approach to employability, networking with our regional experts and international business leaders and working towards gaining the University of Derby Futures Award in Networking and Economic, Financial and Commercial Awareness in International Business. You will also have access to a first class professional career service even after graduating.
- Every student on our programme gets support and advice on academic achievement and career development from a personal tutor who is part of the programme team. Further, our programme has specific features designed to support the achievement of non-UK students.
- If you want to continue your studies in international business at postgraduate level, this programme is explicitly paired to our MSc International Business or can lead smoothly on to our MSc International Business and Finance, MSc International Business and HRM or MSc International Business and Marketing.
Whether you are from the UK, EU or from overseas, if you have a business HND or equivalent or are about to complete your second year of university business studies, this final year degree top-up programme will give you the choice and flexibility to graduate with an International Business and Finance degree.
The top-up is a particularly good financial deal for international students, who can obtain a globally recognised UK degree, at the cost of only one year of study in the UK.
The programme is aimed at students from a generalist background who want a specialist focus. It delves deeply into the workings of international business, where flexibility and willingness to adapt are crucial in today’s increasingly internationalised and dynamic business environment.
Building on previously acquired business knowledge and skills, it focuses on international financial markets and the far-reaching impact of their activity. You’ll develop your understanding of international business strategy, problem solving and decision-making processes - vital for an influential and successful career in international business.
You’ll learn how businesses use financial assets in their international activities and how international business is affected by changes in financial markets.
Keeping right up to date with what’s happening in the world economy, you will use actual case studies and benefit from the insight of expert speakers from the international financial sector.
We’ll also help you develop the skills employers look for in their graduate employees, from report writing and analysis, through to presentation skills.
Derby Business School brochure
You'll study modules such as:
- International Economic Environment
- International Business Strategy
- Financial Statement Analysis
- Investing and Financial Market Behaviour
- International Business Performance Appraisal
- Critical Analysis in International Business*
- International Purchasing and Supply Chain Management
- Marketing Across Cultures
- International Entrepreneurship
* Please note that if you have no academic experience of the UK education system, then you are required to take the module Critical Analysis in an International Business Context as one of your options.
A wide range of coursework assessment methods are used on the course. Many are designed to improve your transferable skills. You may be creating strategy documents, international business analysis reports, creating presentations or videos, or analysing information from Bloomberg on international markets and organisations. You may be working alone or as part of a team and you may be marked on elements of reflective practice. You may be writing essays, creating a portfolio of relevant work or undertaking computer based assessments.
Feedback will be provided at every opportunity in order to enable you to monitor your own progress and development.
Typical entry requirements
You need to have an HND or Foundation degree in a relevant subject.
When you apply, please send us a transcript of the modules you have already studied so that we can make sure that the HND or Foundation degree is compatible with the top-up programme.
Our entry requirements for this course should be read together with the University's general entry requirements, which details subjects we accept, alternative qualifications and what we're looking for at Derby.
Your aim may be to work for a financial sector organisation such as an investment bank or hedge fund, or the financial department of an international organisation.
Or you may simply want to better understand the business and finance decisions you make for a small-scale exporting company in terms of exchange-rate management and hedging.
On completion of the BA top-up degree, you will be ideally placed to join management training programmes in the world’s largest international companies and financial organisations.
The course also provides another point of entry to the MSc programmes available at the University of Derby including MSc International Business and Finance, MSc International Business and Marketing, MSc International Business and HRM and MSc International Business. You can enjoy up to 25% alumni discount when progressing onto a Masters programme.
You will be employable in international trade and investment corporations and in financial institutions providing risk management, consultancy, export finance, investment management and foreign exchange services. You will also be suitable for a career in firms involved with business process outsourcing, international trade government agencies, international business consultancy any many others.
If you need any more information from us, eg on courses, accommodation, applying, car parking, fees or funding, please contact us and we will do everything we can to help you.Contact us
† Additional information about your studies
Download programme specification
Like most universities, we operate extended teaching hours at the University of Derby, so contact time with your lecturers and tutors could be anytime between 9am and 9pm. Your timetable will usually be available on the website 24 hours after enrolment on to your course.
Additional costs and optional extras
We’re committed to providing you with an outstanding learning experience. Our expert teaching, state-of-the-art facilities and great employability prepare you for your future career. As part of our commitment to you we aim to keep any additional study costs to a minimum. However, there are occasions where students may incur some additional costs.
Included in your fees
- Bloomberg data usage within modules with access to Bloomberg terminals for specified assessments
- Statistical analysis software SPSS for use in modules
- Some taster events - transport costs covered
- Opportunities to enter IBM University Business Challenge, CIMA Global Business Challenge and University Trading Challenge
- Part funded trip to Copenhagen for 2nd and 3rd year students. Optional with limited places available.
Optional costs not included in your fees
- Opportunity to apply for CMI student membership and Institute of Directors student membership
- Some taster events- transport costs
Please note: Our courses are refreshed and updated on a regular basis. If you are thinking about transferring onto this course (into the second year for example), you should contact the programme leader for the relevant course information as modules may vary from those shown on this page.