Full-time: 1 year, Part-time: 2 years †
£9,250 per year (2019/20)
£13,250 per year (2019/20)
Part-time: N206, Full-time: N200
January, September †
- Business and Management at Derby ranked Top 10 in The Guardian University Guide 2020
- Business Management ranked Top 10 for teaching on my course, learning opportunities, academic support and overall satisfaction in the National Student Survey 2018
- This course builds on and embellishes the knowledge you’ve already gained on your HND or foundation degree in business with a further study stage to give you a full honours degree in BA (Hons) Business Management
- Covering global and strategic management issues, you’ll study the specialist areas of management and leadership and marketing
- As an example, the ‘Issues in Global Business Consultancy’ module is a case study of current business challenges, which takes a discussion approach and is very practical, looking at where things go wrong and what can be done
- You can also select optional modules that cover areas to suit your own interests and career aims*
- Throughout the course you’ll be using current case studies and examples, and will also benefit from the inside perspectives of guest speakers from industry and professional bodies
- View our Derby Business School brochure
* Option choices will be limited for those undertaking the part-time route. Please contact us for up to date part-time option modules
Covering global and strategic management issues, and advancing your knowledge to full honours level, this top-up course puts you in the shoes of a decision-maker and asks how you’d do business. Armed with the practical know-how you’ll gain, you’ll be confident that you’d decide wisely.
Relevant, respected, rewarding
The course expertly guides you as you top up your HND or Foundation degree in business to a full honours degree. You’ll have the tools, knowledge and insight to confidently approach employers in a highly competitive and dynamic business management environment.
You don’t just learn about business: we’ll prepare you for the workplace through developing your teamwork, presentation and report writing skills. Our lecturers and tutors are behind you all the way, ready to lend their expertise and encouragement throughout your studies.
To complete the BA (Hons) Business Management (Top-up), you will cover modules such as:
- Global Business and Strategy
- Developing Leadership and Management
- The Business Consultancy Project
You will also choose two optional modules, such as:
- International Purchasing and Supply Chain Management
- Marketing across Cultures
- Comparative International HRM
- The Lean Business Venture
- Financial Statement Analysis
- International Business Economics
- Supply Chain Strategy
- Brand Impact and Popular Culture
- Managing the Evolving Employment Relationship
- International Entrepreneurship
- Economics of Sustainable Business Growth
Please note that our modules are subject to change - we review the content of our courses regularly, making changes where necessary to improve your experience and graduate prospects.
A number of modules use real live organisations as the basis for study. This will involve visits to companies, interviewing key staff, completing projects and presenting findings. There are numerous opportunities to attend networking events and guest lectures
Part-time students will study on Thursday evenings from 6pm-9pm, as well as three Tuesday evenings per semester.
Full-time students will receive their study timetable at enrolment.
Assessment is almost exclusively via coursework which can take a variety of forms – reports, presentations, posters, computer-based assessments.
Typical entry requirements
You need to have an HND or Foundation degree in a relevant subject.
When you apply, please send us a transcript of the modules you have already studied so that we can make sure that the HND or Foundation degree is compatible with the top-up programme.
Our entry requirements for this course should be read together with the University's general entry requirements, which details subjects we accept, alternative qualifications and what we're looking for at Derby.
£9,250 per year
£1,155 per module
£13,250 per year
Further information about our fees and support you may be entitled to.
Setting sights on your future
This astute business focus and depth of insight offered by this course means you emerge prepared for a career in a variety of areas, such as operations manager, business analyst, business development manager, HR officer and many, many more.
Past students now work for a wide range of companies from multinationals like Barclays and Shell, to small independent businesses. Others have gone forward alone and established their own business venture.
On completion, you could go straight to a Masters degree, which is just one more year of full-time study, and you’ll be eligible for an alumni fee discount as a Derby graduate.
If you need any more information from us, eg on courses, accommodation, applying, car parking, fees or funding, please contact us and we will do everything we can to help you.Contact us
† Additional information about your studies
September and January - Takes 18 months
January start takes 2 years
January start - part-time only and subject to personal discussion
Download programme specification
Like most universities, we operate extended teaching hours at the University of Derby, so contact time with your lecturers and tutors could be anytime between 9am and 9pm. Your timetable will usually be available on the website 24 hours after enrolment on to your course.
Please note: Our courses are refreshed and updated on a regular basis. If you are thinking about transferring onto this course (into the second year for example), you should contact the programme leader for the relevant course information as modules may vary from those shown on this page.