Visas and Immigration

Student visa overview

Do I need a visa?

If you are a national of a country that is not part of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland you will need to apply for permission to study in the UK.

Which visa will I need?

Tier 4 (General) – if you are coming to the UK to study a full-time course for more than six months you will need to apply for a Tier 4 visa. You can only study on a Tier 4 visa with an institution that is a Tier 4 Sponsor (such as the University of Derby).

Short-term Study – if you are studying a course that is less than six months in length (or an English language course that is less than 11 months long), you can apply for a Short-term Study visa.

Other visa categories

If you hold entry clearance or leave to remain in a visa category other than Tier 4 or a Short-term Study visa you may still be able to study. Please email to see if you can study with your current visa.

Other relevant visa and immigration information 

Refunds after visa refusal

If you are an overseas applicant, any offer made will initially be a conditional offer, subject to you either paying a deposit of GBP £3,000, or providing a sponsor letter. Refund of the £3,000 deposit is dependent on your providing proof that your visa application has been refused.