Short-term Study

If you will be coming to the UK to study a short course up to six months in length, retake a module or exam or submit an assessment, then you should apply for a Standard Visitor visa. If you are studying an English language course that is between six and eleven months long you can apply for a Short-term Study visa. Both of these visa types must be applied for from outside of the UK.

Can I extend the visa whilst in the UK or switch to another visa category?

No, these visas are intended for you to visit the UK and then leave before the visa expires. If you wish to apply for another visa you will have to return to your home country and apply from there.

Will I be issued with a CAS number?

No, CAS numbers are issued for Student visa visa applicants only. The relevant department or person that you have been communicating with will issue you with an official letter that you will need to submit with your visa application. This letter will contain similar details though, such as your name, passport information and course details.

How much does it cost?

The Standard Visitor visa will cost £95. The Short-term Study visa will cost £186.

What documents will I need to submit?

The following documents will need to be submitted with your application:

How much money will I need to show that I have?

UKVI do not specify how much you have to show that you have available, but it does have to be enough to cover your stay in the UK. As a guideline we advise that you use the rules that are in place for Student visas, which is £1,023 for each month of your course. You should provide bank statements or payslips covering the previous six months as evidence.

What if I am a non-visa national?

Non-visa nationals are nationals of countries that do not need to apply for a visa to come to the UK if they are visiting for less than six months. This means that you will not need to apply for a Standard Visitor visa, however you will need to have the documents above ready when you arrive in the UK to show to a border officer.

Non-visa nationals will have their passport stamped at arrival. Please see the list of visa nationals to see if you will require a visa or not.

If you have previously been refused a visa for the UK then you are advised to apply for a visa before you travel to avoid any potential issues when arriving.

What restrictions are there?

The purpose of the Standard Visitor visa or Short-term Study visa is to come to the UK, complete your short course, module or exam and then leave before it is due to expire. You cannot: