Full-time: 3 years, Part-time: Up to 6 years †
£9,250 per year (2019/20)
£13,250 per year (2019/20)
120 (September 2019 entry)
Kedleston Road, Derby Campus
- Marketing has been ranked in the Top 10 in The Guardian University Guide 2019
- Marketing ranked Top 10 for learning opportunities in the National Student Survey 2018
- In the 2018 National Student Survey, 94.4% of students said they were satisfied with their programme
- This degree is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) and part of the CIM Graduate Gateway, meaning if you choose specific modules, you’ll gain exemptions towards the CIM Diploma in Professional Marketing, enhancing your credibility as a marketer
- Focus on the integrated management of marketing, marketing communications, PR and advertising
- Improve your marketing knowledge whilst appreciating the full multi-media approach to marketing communications
- You can choose to study abroad for a semester at CEU San Pablo University in Madrid, through the universities 'Go Places Go Further' programme. All classes will be taught in English
- Placements, internships and hands-on projects for companies enable you to work on real marketing issues and develop your marketing skills.
- View our Derby Business School brochure
All companies use marketing as a vital tool to promote products, services and brands to different audiences. The BA (Hons) Marketing, PR and Advertising offers a core understanding of key marketing, branding and communication concepts preparing you for a successful career in advertising and PR in either an organisation or agency environment.
Relevant, respected, rewarding
This is a practical, in-depth study of one of the most exciting business disciplines. You’ll be fully prepared to plan and execute effective communication campaigns that deliver the right message to the right people at the right time.
As you develop your skills in marketing, PR and advertising techniques you’ll understand how a strong and consistent brand image is developed and what impact it has on business profitability.
The Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM)
The Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) is the leading professional body for marketers worldwide and exists to develop the marketing profession, maintain professional standards and improve the skills of marketing practitioners.
We have joined forces with CIM to give students the opportunity to gain professional qualifications through the CIM Graduate Gateway. CIM qualifications are highly sought after by employers, and their content is reflected in our own degrees which ensures we are equipping students with the best opportunities for a successful marketing career.
Connected in to a business network
Raise your profile and enrich your learning throughout your Marketing (PR and Advertising) degree as you network and make connections with agencies and businesses working on consultancy projects and live case-studies and projects.
Learning outside the classroom
You'll take part in field trips to trade fairs and exhibitions and work on many live company projects throughout your studies meaning your work is relevant and up-to-date with market trends.
Put your knowledge in to practice and join our ‘student consultancy’ group to build their skills and develop your portfolio.
Learn from the experts
Our vast experience marketing will be your guide. Our teaching team is enthusiastic, innovative, knowledgeable - ambitious for you and supporting you all the way. We have research expertise spanning everything from consumer behaviour to business intelligence.
To complete the BA (Hons) Marketing (PR and Advertising), you'll study modules such as:
- Marketing Fundamentals
- Managing the Brand
- Advertising Fundamentals
- Business Acumen and Entrepreneurship
- Introduction to Digital Marketing
- Design and Creativity for Marketers
- The Marketing Executive (double module)
- Integrated Marketing Communications
- PR and Media Management
- Marketing Research
- Digital and Social Media
- Consumer Behaviour
You can choose to take an optional placement year or move straight to the stage three. Our Careers Office will support you in finding the right position.
- Independent Study (double module)
- Marketing Strategy
- Marketing Across Cultures*
- Services and Experiential Marketing
- Content, Copywriting and Creativity
- PR and Social Media
- Market Sensing
- Ethics, Sustainability and Community
*you'll need to take this module to gain exemptions towards the CIM Diploma in Professional Marketing.
We offer field trips to trade fairs, visits to exhibitions and we work on numerous live company projects to guarantee our courses are relevant and up-to-date with current market trends. There is also an opportunity to join a ‘student consultancy group' for those who wish to develop their skills and grow a professional portfolio.
You will be encouraged to be creative, whether you're creating eye-catching media, memorable slogans or designing mood boards to find new innovative ways to communicate with your audience. Some of your learning will be classroom based, sometimes you will want to use computer labs and at other times you may work in a studio.
You will learn to be adaptive in your communications to meet the needs of different consumers. Above all you will develop practical skills of marketing, alongside the sound theories and this process will be enhanced through workbased learning such as projects and your Placement.
Your learning is put in the context of a business environment so that in your future careers you will appreciate the significance of 'the bottom line'
Our BA (Hons) Marketing (PR and Advertising) modules are assessed by coursework and a variety of assignments.
Who you'll meet
Maria Potempski is the programme leader. Maria has been a marketing and PR practitioner for many years, working in agencies and consultancy. She has PR’d everything from nuclear reactors to lingerie.
September 2019 typical entry requirements
|UCAS points||120 (up to 16 from AS-levels)|
|Specific requirements at A-level|
No specific subject requirements
|Specific requirements at GCSE||GCSE Maths and English Grade C/Grade 4 (or above) or equivalent qualification|
|Interview / Audition||N/A|
Alternative entry qualifications:
- BTEC - DDM
- Access to HE Diploma - 60 credits: 45 at level 3 with a minimum of Dist: 15 Merit: 24 Pass: 6
We usually consider an A-level in General Studies as a supplementary qualification. A good application/performance will be taken into account if you do not meet the criteria/offer conditions.
Our entry requirements for this course should be read together with the University's general entry requirements, which details subjects we accept, alternative qualifications and what we're looking for at Derby.
Demand for communication specialists in marketing is high. Your skills in campaign development, analysis and measurement of results will be in demand as a marketer who can demonstrate impact and return on investment.
You’ll have a great foundation to begin a successful career in areas like account, product, brand or communications management.
Past Marketing (PR and Advertising) students have gone on to work in large, multi-national blue chip companies, some have set up their own businesses; some work in marketing departments, some in specialist businesses; some work in the public sector. In all these areas there is a need for marketing skills for organisations to understand consumer needs and influence consumer behaviours.
"After graduating from the University of Derby I began my career in marketing at Derby City Council as the Marketing Officer for Sport and Leisure. After two years in this role I then progressed to Marketing Executive for Public Transport at East Midlands Airport." Kelly McHugh, Marketing graduate
Or why not study further with our:
MSc Marketing Management (Alumni discount available)
If you need any more information from us, eg on courses, accommodation, applying, car parking, fees or funding, please contact us and we will do everything we can to help you.Contact us
† Additional information about your studies
4 years with optional placement year.
Download programme specification
Like most universities, we operate extended teaching hours at the University of Derby, so contact time with your lecturers and tutors could be anytime between 9am and 9pm. Your timetable will usually be available on the website 24 hours after enrolment on to your course.
Additional costs and optional extras
We’re committed to providing you with an outstanding learning experience. Our expert teaching, state-of-the-art facilities and great employability prepare you for your future career. As part of our commitment to you we aim to keep any additional study costs to a minimum. However, there are occasions where students may incur some additional costs.
Included in your fees
- Chartered Institute of Marketing Membership fees
- Chartered Institute of Marketing Assessment entry - Module 1 fees
- Field trip to London Museum of Brand, Packaging & Advertising
- Field trip to NEC trade fair MODA or Spring Fair
- Part funded trip to Copenhagen for 2nd and 3rd year students. Optional with limited places available.
Mandatory costs not included in your fees
- Two company visits per foundation student approx- £60 per student
Optional costs not included in your fees
- Books, source material for design projects approx- £30
Please note: Our courses are refreshed and updated on a regular basis. If you are thinking about transferring onto this course (into the second year for example), you should contact the programme leader for the relevant course information as modules may vary from those shown on this page.