Starting and leaving your job

If you've not worked in the UK before

Ask your employer for a P46 form, which helps to calculate the amount of tax you will need to pay.

If you’ve already worked in the UK

Give your employer your P45 form – you will have been given this form when you left your last job.

If you think you will earn less than your personal allowance

If you only want to work in the University holidays and think your income in the tax year (April to April) will be less than your personal allowance, ask your employer for a P38(s) form – your employer will then pay you without deducting tax.

Leaving your job

Ask your employer for a P45 form – it shows your tax code, your total earnings in the tax year so far, and how much tax you’ve paid since the start of the tax year.