Working while you study

Casual work is generally easy to find

But you shouldn't rely on it to support yourself, especially if you're from outside the EEA.

If you're from most EU countries, the EEA and Switzerland, you're free to work in the UK without restriction.

If you're from outside the EU or EEA

You must be able to show evidence that you have enough money to support yourself fully when you come into the country.

You will need to have enough money to pay your tuition fees and to pay for your accommodation, food, clothing, and books.

But even if you've got restrictions on working stamped in your passport, you will be allowed to work a limited number of hours each week during term time, and without restriction during your official university holidays. These visa work rules don't apply if you're on an agreed work placement or internship that is part of your course.

We can help you find casual work while you're here

If you're interested in finding a casual job or work during your holidays while you're a student at Derby, our Student Employment Agency at Kedleston Road can help you.

Working in the UK

If you are not sure if you can work you can find out by booking an appointment with an immigration advisor:

Getting started