Health care

The National Health Service

In the UK we have a National Health Service (NHS) that provides free medical treatment, the care that you can access depends on your status in the UK.

How to access NHS services if you are visiting from abroad

If you’re an overseas student who is staying in the UK for more than six months or you come from certain countries, you will be classed as a resident and you can register for NHS medical care.

You can also apply for NHS medical care if you’re intending to stay in the UK for less than six months, you will need to check with the GP practice you want to register with.

Registering with a doctor

To get NHS medical care, you will need to register with a doctor (also known as a general practitioner or GP).

You need to do this as soon as possible after you arrive, and before you become ill or need help.

There’s a University doctors' surgery at our Kedleston Road site in Derby, which is part of the nearby Park Medical Practice.

Park Medical Practice website

You should provide your Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) number or any other health document you have like a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), S1 certificate or equivalent.

Student Wellbeing

Health and Wellbeing support is available before you arrive and throughout your journey at university. The team can support you with physical impairments, learning difficulties and mental health support.

Find out about our Student Wellbeing team