Prepare to make your mark in the highly competitive global motorsport industry. Offering exciting practical experience and strong employer links, our BEng (Hons) Motorsport Engineering puts you on the road to success.
- Motorsport Engineering has been ranked in the Top 20 in the Guardian University Guide 2019
- Take your first steps towards becoming a Chartered Engineer – this degree is accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) on behalf of the Engineering Council so it partially meets the academic requirement for you to register as a CEng
- Hone your skills in our state-of-the-art workshop complete with a rolling road and digital diagnostic and set-up equipment
- Study a wide range of vehicles and systems, from racing motorcycles to dragsters
- Take part in challenging live projects such as Formula Student, IMechE Railway Challenge, IMechE Drone and Shell Eco-marathon
- Gain inspiring industry insights at exhibitions and race meetings
- Enhance your employability – we are ranked 15th highest among all UK universities and 12th for English institutions, with 96% of graduates in work or further study within six months of completing their degree: (HESA 2016)
If you have the potential and ambition to study with us, but feel you’re not quite ready to join the BEng (Hons) Motorsport Engineering right now, why not consider taking this course with a foundation year?
Set yourself apart as an innovative and resourceful motorsport engineer – ready to work with top teams or high-profile manufacturers.
You will gain a comprehensive understanding of topics such as advanced power train engineering, motorsport chassis design and computational fluid dynamics.
We also expect you to take an active role in project work, whether designing supercharger applications or building your own telemetry equipment. We have a great range of vehicles and systems for you to study, from racing motorcycles to dragsters.
In tune with the industry
We boast strong links across the industry, so you will keep up to date with what's new and next in the world of motorsport. The course features regular guest lectures from companies such as Red Bull Racing, Bloodhound and Jaguar Land Rover through the IMechE Automobile East Midlands Division. Companies sometimes set interesting projects for our students too.
We give you the opportunity to take part in a range of events where you can gain hands-on experience, including scrutineering and marshalling training, exhibitions and race meetings.
Exciting projects like Formula Student - the world’s biggest student motorsport competition – could also become a highlight of your studies. Team Derby Motorsport entered this competition for the first time in 2015 and won the Formula Student Rookie Team Award. This success resulted in a £3,000 grant for the team from the IMechE.
We also offer BEng (Hons) Motorsport Engineering with Foundation Year.
You will study a total of 120 credits per year. This will be made up of single or double modules.
You will study modules such as:
- Applied Scientific Methods
- Professional Development and Business Accountability
- Materials and Manufacturing Processes
- Computer Aided Design
- Engineering Design and Workshop Technology
- Motorsport and Motorcycle Technical Applications
You will study modules such as:
- Motorsport Electronics (Work Based Learning)
- Motorsport Powertrain Technology
- Motorsport Chassis Engineering
- Engineering Design Modelling
- Structural Analysis and Materials
- Design for Manufacture and Materials Optimisation
- Advanced Applied Analytical Methods 2
You will study modules such as:
- Advanced Powertrain Engineering
- Motorsport Chassis Design and Dynamics
- Independent Study and Professional Development (Motorsport)
- Advanced Engineering Design Modelling
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Advanced Engineering Materials and Applications
Please note that our modules are subject to change - we review the content of our courses regularly, making changes where necessary to improve your experience and graduate prospects.
Real world learning
There are opportunities for you to go on an optional work placement as part of the BEng (Hons) Motorsport Engineering.
The course also includes field trips to local race circuits for testing and visits to a number of exhibitions where you can strengthen your professional networks. You will also attend guest lectures as part of the annual IMechE series.
How you are assessed
Assessment is through a mixture of coursework assignments, examinations and formal presentations.
September 2019 typical entry requirements
|UCAS points||112 (up to 16 from AS-levels)|
|Specific requirements at A-level|
At least a C in Maths at A-level (or equivalent qualification), and at least one other Science or Technology A-level
|Specific requirements at GCSE||GCSE Maths and English Grade C/Grade 4 (or above) or equivalent qualification|
|IELTS||6.0 (with 5.5 in each skills area)|
|Interview / Audition||N/A|
Alternative entry qualifications:
- BTEC - DMM
- Access to HE Diploma - 60 credits: 45 at level 3 with a minimum of Dist: 15 Merit: 24 Pass: 6
We usually consider an A-level in General Studies as a supplementary qualification. A good application/performance will be taken into account if you do not meet the criteria/offer conditions.
Our entry requirements for this course should be read together with the University's general entry requirements, which details subjects we accept, alternative qualifications and what we're looking for at Derby.
Our focus is on ensuring you are work-ready and this course will give you the all the confidence and skills you need to progress directly into the international motorsport arena.
Graduates have secured employment with companies like Cosworth, Zytec, JLR, Pirelli and EPM Composites. They have also raced all over the world and worked with international race teams in F1, GP2, FIA-GT and with a variety of national teams.
If you need any more information from us, eg on courses, accommodation, applying, car parking, fees or funding, please contact us and we will do everything we can to help you.Contact us
† Additional information about your studies
Download programme specification
Like most universities, we operate extended teaching hours at the University of Derby, so contact time with your lecturers and tutors could be anytime between 9am and 9pm. Your timetable will usually be available on the website 24 hours after enrolment on to your course.
Additional costs and optional extras
We’re committed to providing you with an outstanding learning experience. Our expert teaching, state-of-the-art facilities and great employability prepare you for your future career. As part of our commitment to you we aim to keep any additional study costs to a minimum. However, there are occasions where students may incur some additional costs.
Included in your fees
- Use of fully equipped motorsport workshops
- PPE kits (safety boot, safety googles and ear plugs), one T-shirt
- Fieldtrips and visits (depending on trip requirements costs can vary)
- Industry speakers
- Small allowance for final year project
Mandatory costs not included in your fees
- Equipment approx. £30
- T-shirt approx. £30
- Workshop Materials approx. £120
- Industry visits approx. £70
- Additional expenses for final year project approx. £50
- Printing approx. £120
Optional costs not included in your fees
- Not required but useful: personal computer or a tablet computer approx. £400
Please note: Our courses are refreshed and updated on a regular basis. If you are thinking about transferring onto this course (into the second year for example), you should contact the programme leader for the relevant course information as modules may vary from those shown on this page.