The Journalism courses at the University of Derby reflect the vibrancy and excitement of a fast-changing industry which is constantly finding new ways to connect with its audience and tell stories about everything from hard-hitting news to sports and football. We are looking for students who share our enthusiasm for Journalism.
Your submission is an exciting opportunity to show us your skills and interests.
What should I submit for my portfolio?
We would like to see your potential as a journalist so you can choose to send us anything which might demonstrate your passion and ability. You might send:
- A 200-word news report on something going on in the world. This can be anything from something you have been part of to the latest global events, from a charity-sponsored walk to the latest developments in Coronavirus
- A 200-word review of something you are interested in. This might be a review of a film or TV series, or of the latest music that you are listening to
- A 200-word report of a football match or sporting event. We realise that you probably can't get to watch sports in person at the moment, so you can compile your report from a match or event on television
- A 200-word article on a journalist you admire, setting out what they do and why you admire them
- A 200-word personal statement on why you would like to be a journalist
- You can also send us links to any articles or blog posts, or copies of essays you have written. If you prefer to send us a video piece, that would be great!
- Or you can choose to write 200 words about any other subject
Please send at least three pieces for us to consider.
We'll be looking to see how well you write or record to camera, and to see how well you can tell a story or put across your ideas. Make sure you proofread your work to eliminate any little errors.
How do I submit my portfolio?
Send us your portfolio via email at email@example.com.
You may be contacted by our academic team to discuss your portfolio. This will give you the opportunity to participate in a 10/15-minute conversation about the work included in your portfolio.
What if I haven't studied the subject before?
We recognise that most applicants may not have studied Journalism before, which is why we are interested in seeing your potential. Submit whatever you think reflects you and your potential for the course you're applying for.
Is there a deadline to submit the portfolio?
Please submit your portfolio within four weeks of the request, however please be mindful of key deadline dates advertised on our website.