Not yet applied? We are still open for applications

Don’t worry if you missed the UCAS January deadline, we are still open for September 2018 applications.

We're still accepting applications through UCAS and direct applications for our undergraduate courses after the UCAS Deadline of 15 January. Our FAQs below can help answer any questions.

Frequently asked questions

Getting started

How do I apply?

For full-time undergraduate study, visit the UCAS website to set up an account and apply.

To apply for a part-time course with us, go to the relevant course page on our website, go to the “How to Apply” section, and use the link “apply directly to the University” which will take you through to myDerby. Please read through our online application guide before you start your application.

I’ve been told I have to apply through UCAS. Why is this?

All UK universities use the UCAS service for full-time undergraduate applications. The benefits of applying through UCAS are:

  • UCAS offers a tracking service, allowing you to view your application at every stage
  • If you are currently studying, your results are likely to be directly uploaded to our systems by UCAS. This eliminates the need for you to send certificates to us. In some circumstances, where UCAS does not receive your results, we will ask you to send us copies of your certificates

What is the application deadline for September 2018?

UCAS applicants - the first cycle of applications closed on 15 January. You can still apply after this date, but some courses may have already filled.

myDerby applicants (directly via our website) - please complete an application on myDerby through our website as soon as you have identified the course you wish to study with us.

Some courses have long selection processes and other requirements that you need to fulfil before enrolment. These may include DBS clearance or visa and travel arrangements for international applicants. Make sure you apply well in advance of the start of your course to allow time for all of these to be completed.

Admissions for some courses are conducted on a gathered field basis. To find out more about a gathered field please see our Gathered Field Policy. You can find out if this applies to your course in the “How to Apply” section on the course page.

Application guidelines and supporting documents information

Which qualifications should I declare in my UCAS application?

The UCAS tariff point requirements are mainly made up from your full A-levels or equivalent qualifications such as BTEC Extended/Subsidiary Diploma, International Baccalaureate, Scottish Highers etc. We do accept combinations of these Level 3 qualifications in most cases. Don’t forget to check whether your Level 3 qualifications meet any subject specific requirements. You can find these details on our course pages.

We also accept a certain value of points from Level 3 qualifications such as AS-Levels (where those AS-Levels are not taken on to the full A-level), the Extended Project Qualification, music and other qualifications on the UCAS Tariff Tables. There is a total limit of 16 UCAS points.

We recommend you declare all of your Level 2 qualifications (such as GCSEs), not just the ones you believe could be relevant. Level 2 qualifications are the minimum requirements for our courses so if they are not included on your application, this may delay us in making a decision on your application.

You can find more information about general entry requirements on our website. Requirements will vary depending on what you’re applying for, so check the course specific entry requirements on the course pages on our website. Find your course using our course search.

What should I include in my personal statement?

Check out our blogs which are full of useful tips:

Where can I send my additional supporting documents?

You can email your supporting documents to the relevant Admissions Team. Please make sure you include your name, the course you have applied for and, if possible, your ID number (UCAS or University of Derby application ID). 

Please email as follows:

What references do I need?

If you have been studying recently, we prefer an academic reference. Otherwise we will accept an employer reference relevant to the course you are applying for.

If you are applying through UCAS, they will ask your referee to complete the reference section of your application.

If you are applying to us directly on myDerby, your references need to be submitted on official institution or company headed letter paper, signed and dated. Either you or your referee should email them directly to Include your name, course title and ID number so that we can match them to your application. Please note that we do not contact your referees.

What should a reference include?

An academic reference should include a statement supporting your application, as well as an indication of your studying capability and character.

A reference from an employer should include details of your current job role, length of service and your character. It should be signed and dated and on company headed paper.

Can you contact my referee?

It is your responsibility to obtain this reference, we do not contact your referees. Please ensure the reference section is complete when submitting an application.

Are there guidelines for official translated versions of my supporting documents?

The translation must contain confirmation of the following from the translator:

  • That it is an accurate translation to English of the original document
  • The date of the translation
  • The translator's full name and signature
  • The translator's contact details

If you are an international applicant, please check the UKVI guidelines.

Entry requirements

What are the entry requirements?

You'll find the specific entry requirements for your course on the relevant page of our website. Find your course using our course search.

If you don’t think you can meet the entry criteria and are looking at applying for a first degree, most of our undergraduate degrees are offered with a foundation year. These are designed to provide you with the study skills and subject knowledge required to progress in the course. If you apply for a first degree and don’t quite meet the criteria, we will automatically consider you for a four-year degree with Foundation Year or another subject if available. Also, if you apply for the four-year route and exceed expectations, we will automatically consider you for the three-year degree.

How do I calculate my UCAS points?

You can check your UCAS points on the UCAS Tariff calculator.

What happens if I don’t get my grades?

Please don't panic! There will often be an alternative course we can offer you, but if we can't we’ll give you feedback to help you reapply at another entry point or when Clearing is open. If you have any questions or concerns, always call us first on 01332 591167.

I don't have GCSE Maths / English, can I still apply?

For most of our courses you need five GCSE’s at grade C or above including Maths and English or in the reformed numeric grading 4 or above. For some courses, GCSE Maths and English are required to meet accreditor standards. We encourage you to apply even if you don't have these. We will review your application as a whole taking into consideration the course requirements and then your qualifications, experience, references and personal statement.

We accept Functional Skills and Key Skills as an alternative to GCSEs for most courses. You can find more information on general entry requirements on our website.

Our four-year degrees with Foundation Year include the opportunity to study Level 2 Maths and English alongside the modules you are taking for your course.

I am a mature student what are the entry requirements?

We do normally expect you to meet the minimum academic entry requirements to make sure you are ready for degree-level study. However, a strong personal statement/references that detail your work experience will also assist your application. Please contact the course leader (details on course pages) to discuss the experience required in more detail.

We may suggest that you undertake an Access to HE Diploma before applying for a degree course.

You can see the specific entry requirements for the course you are interested in on the course pages on our website, find your course using our course search.

Can I change when I start my course?

Once you have firmly accepted an official offer from us, please contact us via email, putting your request to defer in writing. Be aware that not all courses can offer a deferral. Also, you can only defer a course once. You can email us at

Can I transfer to the University of Derby from another university?

Yes. You should apply in the usual way, either through UCAS or directly on our website. Make sure you specify the year of entry you would like to join us. We will need to see your full academic profile from GCSEs upwards.

You will need to upload a transcript showing the modules you have studied on your current course and the grades you have achieved. You will also need to supply an academic reference from the last institution you studied with to support your application. Please note that all late stage entries are at the discretion of the Programme Leader.

If you receive an offer, you will need to advise your current institution of your intention to withdraw and if applicable inform the Student Loans Company (SLC). Please note, for international applicants any transfer will also need to meet UKVI regulations.

Fees and finance

What are the tuition fees?

Please check the Fees and Finance section of our course pages for specific fee information, find your course using our course search. If the information is not available please contact Student Records and Fees.

Why have I been sent a Tuition Fee Assessment Form?

If your application suggests that you are an international or EU student, we may need to confirm your residency category to ensure you are charged the correct fee and that you are eligible for your course, as some are not available to students from outside the UK for funding reasons.


Am I required to submit a portfolio?

For entry onto some of our courses, you will need to submit a portfolio showing examples of your work. This information is available in the ‘Entry Requirements’ section of the course page - find your course using our course search.

If a portfolio is required to complete your application, an admissions adviser will contact you with guidance about what you should include and how you should submit it.

Will I be asked to attend an interview?

Some of our courses require you to attend an interview as part of the selection process. Please check the entry requirements section on your course page - find your course using our course search. Alternatively contact us on 01332 591167.

If your course does require an interview, you will receive an invitation by email. Please regularly check your inbox and spam folder for either the University of Derby or The invitation will include the date and time, with a link to our interview information page where you can check any specific details. Please make sure you check these details in preparation for the day.

You can also find general information about your interview on your course webpage by following the Interview/Audition link in the Entry Requirements section - find your course using our course search.

Applied? What’s next?

How long will it take for me to get a decision once I've submitted my application?

If you applied through UCAS, please keep an eye on your UCAS Track account as we will send your update there.

If you applied to us directly (through myDerby on our website), you will receive an acknowledgement on the same day. We usually take around three to four days to reach a decision. This may take longer if we need further information from you, or if you are required to attend an interview/selection day.

I’ve received an offer, how do I accept it?

If you have applied via UCAS you will need to accept your offer through UCAS Track. You cannot reply to your offers until you have received decisions from all of your University choices on UCAS, and the deadline to do so will depend on when you receive those decisions.

If you have applied directly to the University (through myDerby on our Website) you will need to email within 14 days of you receiving the offer to indicate whether you wish to accept it or not.

If I accept the offer, can I change my mind?

Yes, you will have 14 days from accepting your offer to change your mind. However, if circumstances have changed for you after this point then please contact the relevant Admissions Team below.

Please email as follows:

Miscellaneous / issues with applying

I am having problems with my application to Derby

If you are experiencing problems with your UCAS application, please contact UCAS directly.

If you are experiencing issues with your myDerby application through our website, please contact the relevant Admissions Team and one of our experienced admissions advisers will assist you through the process.

Still looking for answers? Ask us a question...

Fill out my online form.
Course search button
Why choose Derby button
Fees and support button
Accommodation button 500 x 330px