Social Sciences Courses
Come to Derby and make a difference – our social science degrees prepare you for a career where you can influence social change.
Study in the city where one of the founding fathers of sociology, Herbert Spencer, was born. In keeping with this heritage, our social science courses are progressive and forward-thinking, focusing on the issues and trends affecting society today.
Taught by experts with great global connections, you’ll have the opportunity to broaden your horizons through work placements and studying abroad. These wide-ranging courses are perfect for combining with another subject to create a Joint Honours degree, giving you more to offer employers as you embark on your chosen career.
- Course search
- Visit us
- Order your prospectus
- What our students say
- Undergraduate study
- Postgraduate study
- Professional development and short courses
- Part-time study
- Online learning
- Study abroad
- Careers and employment
- Fees and finance
- Student life and support
- Contact us
“Helpful staff, great facilities and excellent course content”
“The Sociology degree at the University of Derby did not disappoint. Topics covered helped to inform me about ways of looking at the social world. While studying the Sociology course, I did a placement with adults with learning difficulties in my local college. This was very worthwhile and also helped to make my CV stand out a little bit more.
“The helpful staff, great facilities and excellent course content culminated in my final year dissertation which highlighted the injustice faced by individuals who suffer with mental health problems and the subsequent injustice felt by society as a whole.
“The BA (Hons) Sociology course was very rewarding; I gained a great deal of knowledge that I find helpful both intellectually and on a personal level. I would absolutely recommend completing a Sociology degree at the University of Derby.”
This is Social Sciences
- Gain an international perspective and take part in an exchange to Charles University, in the lively Czech capital, Prague
- Get to grips with the sociological issues affecting Britain today, from race and ethnicity to childhood poverty
- Our flexible degrees allow you to combine your interests or focus on a specific area, such as crime and justice, culture and belief, social justice, or young people and education
- Work placements will make sure you can apply your subject and enhance your CV
- Assessments range from essays and exams to group work and online discussions, so you’ll be able to demonstrate your strengths.
What our Social Sciences graduates do
Social sciences offer a broad range of skills and insights, so it’s no surprise to find our graduates enjoying career success across a range of diverse sectors.
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- civil servant
- social worker
- probation officer
- welfare adviser
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days: