This top-up programme equips you with a solid background and appropriate skills that would enable you to practice successfully as a professional engineer. It incorporates elements of all relevant technologies and their applications throughout the programme. You’ll complete modules suited to either Mechanical Engineering or Manufacturing Engineering.
- The degree is accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE). On completion, you will have met the full requirements to register as an Incorporated Engineer (IEng)
- You'll have access to excellent labs and facilities whilst studying this degree. Spaces include our Additive Manufacturing Lab with various 3D printed technology, wind tunnel and thermodynamics area that includes a jet engine and test engine, and our mechanical workshop with both traditional lathes and milling machines, alongside more modern CNC equipment
- You’ll gain key employability skills, such as practical skills, problem solving, awareness of current and developing engineering and strategic issues, together with transferrable skills, such as presentation skills, team work and technical/management writing
- Learn from our expert team of academic staff who have extensive industrial experience of engineering
Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering (Top-up) at Derby
On the Mechanical Engineering route, you’ll cover key topics including engineering design modelling, computational fluid dynamics and materials and applications. On the Manufacturing Engineering route, you’ll cover engineering materials and applications, manufacturing automation and control, and technology and systems. Both routes explore the processes involved with innovating in organisations, as well as the ethical and environmental standards. You’ll also work on a project in an area that interests you.
The accredited BEng (Hons) will meet in full, the exemplifying academic benchmark requirements for registration as an Incorporated Engineer (IEng). This top-up programme is designed to provide specific skills and knowledge for a career within the mechanical and manufacturing engineering sectors. The programme is designed to maintain and manage applications of current and developing technology, and to undertake engineering design, development, manufacture, construction and operation. Offered under the umbrella of Mechanical Engineering, the BEng (Hons) Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering top-up programme will, therefore, offer an IEng accredited degree pathway in mechanical and manufacturing engineering.
Current roles within the engineering industries are extremely technologically challenging with ever-increasing paces of change and development, and the larger industries predominantly now operate on a global scale. You must be able to meet the challenges presented by the constant search for improvement and the relentless pace of development that characterise these industries. Additionally, the development of your management skills throughout the programme plays an important part in your educational process.
On completion of this programme, you will be able to analyse, synthesise and evaluate those engineering factors that are required to produce engineering solutions. You will explore the themes of:
- Use of general and specialist engineering knowledge and understanding
- Application of appropriate theoretical and practical methods to appropriate application
- Technical and commercial leadership and management at all levels
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills using various media means and resources
- Commitment to professional standards and recognition of obligations to society and environment in accordance with the latest benchmarks
Please note that our modules are subject to change - we review the content of our courses regularly, making changes where necessary to improve your experience and graduate prospects.
Real world learning
There’s a mixture of lectures, research projects, seminars and workshops as well as industrial visits and guest lectures from the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE).
How you are assessed
We use a range of assessment methods, including assignments, examinations, formal technical reports, practical results, short written observations and spoken presentations.
Personal academic tutoring
Your personal academic tutor will work with you to help you get the most out of your time at university. Having someone to talk to about your academic progress, your university experience and your professional aspirations is hugely valuable. We want you to feel challenged in your studies, stretched but confident to achieve your academic and professional goals.
Find out more about personal academic tutoring
You need to have an HND or Foundation degree in a relevant subject.
When you apply, please send us a transcript of the modules you have already studied so that we can make sure that the HND or foundation degree is compatible with the top-up programme.
English language requirements
IELTS: 6.5 (with at least 5.5 in each skills area)
2022/23 Fees (August 2022 - July 2023)
£9,250 per year
£1,155 per 20 credit module
£14,045 per year
Further information about our fees and support you may be entitled to.
Additional costs and optional extras
How to apply
Please look at our application deadlines before you apply.
On completion of this top-up degree, you will have a solid background and appropriate skills that would enable you to practice successfully as a professional engineer. You will be able to analyse, synthesise and evaluate the engineering factors that are required to produce engineering solutions. You’ll also develop management skills which can take you into many sectors. To further your learning, you could study our MSc Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering.
If you need any more information from us, eg on courses, accommodation, applying, car parking, fees or funding, please contact us and we will do everything we can to help you.Contact us
† Additional information about your studies
1 year top-up course
Like most universities, we operate extended teaching hours at the University of Derby, so contact time with your lecturers and tutors could be anytime between 9am and 9pm. Your timetable will usually be available on the website 24 hours after enrolment on to your course.
Additional costs and optional extras
We’re committed to providing you with an outstanding learning experience. Our expert teaching, excellent facilities and great employability prepare you for your future career. As part of our commitment to you we aim to keep any additional study costs to a minimum. However, there are occasions where students may incur some additional costs.
The information provided on this page is correct at the time of publication but course content, costs and other individual course details do change from time to time and are updated as often as possible, so please do check these pages again when making your final decision to apply for a course. Any updated course details will also be confirmed to you at application, enrolment and in your offer letter.
Included in your fees
- Some educational software packages will be provided free
- Use of resources such as computer rooms, workshops and laboratories
- Industry speakers as appropriate
- Small allowance for final year project
Mandatory costs not included in your fees
- Additional educational software approx. £60
- Computer accessories approx. £30
- Workshop material approx. £50
- Additional expenses for final year project approx. £50
- Printing approx. £60
Optional costs not included in your fees
- Personal computer or tablet computer approx. £400
Please note: Our courses are refreshed and updated on a regular basis. If you are thinking about transferring onto this course (into the second year for example), you should contact the programme leader for the relevant course information as modules may vary from those shown on this page.