Performing Arts and Theatre courses
Our performing arts courses will provide you with a unique experience, combining academic teaching with the insights of practising theatre and dance professionals.
With 1.9 million people working in the creative industries, your degree can open the door to a range of careers. From dance, drama, music and technical theatre, our courses are the perfect blend of academic studies and hands-on experience working with industry professionals. Not only do we own Derby Theatre – a working professional theatre – but Déda, Derby’s creative centre for dance, hosts our dance course, so you’ll learn from professional choreographers, dance companies and from watching regular professional performances.
- Course search
- Visit us
- Order your prospectus
- What our students say
- Undergraduate study
- Postgraduate study
- Professional development and short courses
- Part-time study
- Online learning
- Study abroad
- Careers and employment
- Fees and finance
- Student life and support
- Contact us
There was a sense that anything is possible at Derby!
“There was a sense that anything is possible at Derby. We were studying in an atmosphere where risk-taking, creativity and entrepreneurship were the norm. It gave me a love of learning which has stayed with me.”
This is Performing Arts and Theatre
- Hone your skills at Derby Theatre. Owned by the University, this popular theatre in the city centre stages a mixture of its own productions and touring shows. You’ll have plenty of opportunities to showcase your work on our stage and gain handson experience in a working theatre
- Dance in the professional studios at Déda, a creative centre for dance, contemporary circus and outdoor work
- Professional shows will inspire your own performances and give you the chance to go backstage to meet and learn from industry experts including performers and technical crew
- Take part in national and international festivals to showcase your work
What our Performing Arts and Theatre graduates do
Our degrees will open a number of doors for you, whether you want to stay in the profession or branch out to use your skills elsewhere.
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- creating and running new theatre
- performing - acting, dancing or playing
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days: