University for Journalism
(Guardian League Table 2017)
Go behind the headlines and prepare for your career as a journalist. Up to date and wide-ranging, our degree courses will open the door to the world of reporting in the 21st century.
At the University of Derby, we focus on developing creative, versatile journalists with expertise in a variety of production techniques – mastering the arts of print, digital and broadcast journalism.
You can study a particular journalistic genre such as football journalism, magazine journalism or specialist sports journalism, or you can specialise, for instance in fashion or music journalism, on the BA (Hons) Journalism degree.
You’ll also have the chance to put your theory into practice with exciting work placements in the UK or overseas, for the BBC and at regional newspapers and radio stations.
- Course search
- Visit us
- Order your prospectus
- What our students say
- Undergraduate study
- Postgraduate study
- Professional development and short courses
- Part-time study
- Online learning
- Study abroad
- Careers and employment
- Fees and finance
- Student life and support
- Contact us
“It’s the place to come if you want to be at a thriving university - and the city is good fun too”
“The Journalism facilities at the University of Derby are incredible, with industry standard television and radio studios and a newsroom. Staff have come straight out of the media into lecturing roles. They have all been fantastic throughout my Journalism degree and provided me with help and guidance along the way to help me realise my potential.
“One of the most rewarding things about the Journalism course is that you make something and have an end product at the end of your work to showcase to everyone. Whether that’s a feature for a newspaper, a radio documentary or a television news story, the end product is really satisfying.
“I really enjoyed my time at the University of Derby and I made the most out of it. It’s the place to come if you want to be at a thriving university - and the city is good fun too.”
This is Journalism
- Learn in our fantastic facilities including three radio studios, a fully equipped television studio, video editing suites, Mac suites and a newsroom featuring the latest software
- Gain substantial practical experience of researching and producing powerful print, radio, TV and online stories on internships and projects with media organisations in the UK or overseas
- You’ll be taught by our experienced team which includes journalists, broadcasters, historians and political commentators
- You can choose to spend a semester of your second year studying at one of our partner universities in the USA or you can take part in our Go Places, Go Further scheme and spend up to one year studying in one of our partner universities across the globe.
- We’re leading the way – we’re home to the UK’s original Football Journalism degree.
What our Journalism graduates do
Our journalism degrees are cutting-edge and will give you the skills that you need to succeed in an exciting career.
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- commercial TV
- commercial and community radio
- corporate communication.
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days: