Applying from overseas

The University of Derby is committed to promoting equality and diversity through inclusion. The majority of employees coming to work for our University from overseas apply through the Skilled Worker Route, but there may be other routes available. Here, you’ll find information about moving from overseas, including information relating to different visa types, and information to help you plan your finances and accommodation arrangements.

Advice on opening a bank account, the cost of living and how your salary will be paid.

Opening a bank account

You must have a UK bank account to receive your salary, therefore we advise you to arrange a meeting with a bank or building society as soon as possible after your arrival in the UK.

To open an account, you will need two documents: one to prove your identity and one to evidence your address. If required, you may request an official letter of employment from Human Resources to confirm the latter.

There are many different banks and building societies to choose from, all with different offerings. It is usually easier to open an account with one of the UK’s largest banks – Barclays, Lloyds, HSBC or NatWest.

Your salary

Your salary will be paid in monthly instalments on the 25th of each month by credit transfer payment into a nominated UK bank or building society account. Where the 25th of the month falls on a weekend or bank holiday, you will be paid on the last working day prior to this. You will receive an itemised pay slip each month.

You will need a National Insurance (NI) number before we can make any payments to you. This should be printed on the back of your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). In the event that it isn’t, you will need to apply for one. You can only do this once you have arrived in the UK. Find out how to apply for a National Insurance number.

Cost of living

There are various costs of living associated with living in the UK that you should take into consideration:

Rent or mortgage

Monthly rental costs can vary depending on whether you are renting a room or an entire flat/house so it is worth looking at your options early on. Deposits are also commonplace when you sign a rental agreement, and these tend to be the equivalent of one months’ rent.

Council Tax

This is paid to the local authorities to cover services such as street maintenance, refuge collection and the emergency services. Council tax rates are dependent on various factors, so it is worth bearing this in mind.

Contents insurance

Contents insurance typically covers everything you would take with you if you moved to a new house. There are some exceptions to this rule so it’s worth checking the details of each policy to ensure you have the right level of cover. You can compare suppliers and policies on any comparison website.

Water, gas and electricity

You will need to register an account with Severn Trent, the supplier of water to Derby. Rates can range from £100-400 per year depending on usage and are usually billed twice a year.

Gas and electricity can be provided by one supplier and rates vary. You can compare multiple suppliers using any comparison website.

TV licence

To avoid receiving a fine, you must have a TV licence to watch or record programmes on a TV, computer or other device as they’re broadcast or if you download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer. A TV licence costs £159 per year which can be paid in full or in instalments.

Telephone and internet

There are multiple providers offering various deals so make sure you choose the right package for you, depending on your requirements. Most companies will ask you to sign up for a 12-month contract.

Car costs

Road tax, MOT and car insurance are all requirements to run a car in the UK. See the DVLA website for more information. 

If you are relocating to Derby from overseas, we are able to offer temporary accommodation at our Kedleston Road campus for up to six months whilst you make more permanent arrangements. Requests are subject to availability and individual circumstance. Please note that there is limited availability and you may be required to share a room.

For more information, contact the Student Living Housing Team on

Estate and letting agents

There are numerous Estate and Letting Agents in and around the city that can help you find suitable accommodation. Ensure that the agency is a member of a professional body, such as the Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA). You can also use property search websites such as Rightmove or Zoopla.

Visas and immigration

Learn more about the range of visa types available for overseas applicants.

Find out more about visas and immigrationFind out more about visas and immigration
A person sits at their desk smiling whilst typing on their laptop.