Join our Creative Community
Did you know?
- The creative industries generated £87bn of economic value for the UK in 2015 – growing three times faster than the rest of the economy.*
- There are an estimated 2.9m jobs in the wider UK creative economy, which is also expanding faster than the total UK jobs market.*
- The creative industries account for approximately 9 per cent of the UK’s service exports, attracting success in all parts of the world.*
- Over half of all workers in the Creative Economy hold a degree, compared to 31% in the wider UK economy.*
- Whilst the arts, entertainment and recreation sector contains the industry with the highest percentage of jobs in creative occupations, approximately half of all creative jobs are found outside the traditional 'Creative Industries'.*
“The creative industries are a vital and growing part of the UK economy and play a key role in shaping the UK’s image and reputation abroad. We are one of the top destinations for media and entertainment investment in the world, and that's because of the global reach of our culture, creativity and expertise. We are working with our creative industries to seize the exciting opportunities that will flow from Britain's new place in the world." The Rt. Hon Karen Bradley MP, Secretary of State for Culture, Media & Sport
Derby: A city of culture
Derby is home to a range of festivals, workshops, and exhibitions including Y NOT, FORMAT and Derby Film Festival and University of Derby students form the key volunteer body for many of these events. A full listing can be found on artsderbyshire
QUAD is a creative hub that connects people and businesses to art and film and create opportunities for entertainment, education and participation. It has a Cinema, Gallery, Café Bar, Digital resource and Workshop that anyone can use and has strong links with the University of Derby.
- Over 30% of all staff at QUAD have or currently study at the University of Derby
- This includes key decision makers: the CEO, Marketing Manager, Cinema Programmer, Creative Industries Network (Mainframe) co-ordinator, Finance Manager and Corporate Sales Officer
- Every year QUAD works with at least one Intern from the University and multiple volunteers
- Many of our short-term contracts/casual employees now work front of house at QUAD are currently studying at the University of Derby
- All QUAD job adverts are placed with the Student Employment department at UOD
The University owns Derby Theatre giving our students direct access to professional staff and resources. The Theatre produces, exciting performances, hosts expert masterclasses and leads education and learning programmes and supports our BA degrees in , , and
Déda is the only dedicated dance house in the East Midlands region, acting as a local, regional and national resource for dance artists and the wider arts community. It houses a 124 capacity studio theatre, three dance studios, meeting room facilities and the CUBE café bar. It offers a weekly class programme and a year-round professional performance programme for children, young people and adults, and an extensive community development programme. The theatre presents large scale dance productions – both by Déda’s own Youth Performance Companies and by National visiting companies. It hosts in partnership with the University of Derby.
Students have opportunities to study or work abroad as part of their programme with . Studying or working abroad is a fantastic opportunity to see more of the world, become a global citizen, and gain a new perspective on your subject, whilst gaining invaluable transferable skills and experience. You will meet new people from the host country and other countries, and future employers will be impressed when they review your CV.
The Degree Show
The The Degree Show is a series of live events and exhibitions across the city of Derby. It offers visitors a unique opportunity to experience the very best of emerging contemporary art and design practice from our final year students. Their work explores the issues and subjects of today's world also looks ahead predicting and setting the trends of tomorrow.