Clearing at the University of Derby

Frequently Asked Questions

Registering for Clearing

I’ve completed the Register for Clearing form but have not received a telephone call from the University of Derby. What should I do?

Please allow 72 hours for us to process your registration and get in touch with you. If you haven’t heard from us after this time please call us on 01332 593594. We’re open 9am-5pm Monday-Saturday and 10am-4pm Sunday.

I’ve completed the Register for Clearing form. Should I apply for my course through UCAS now?

We advise you to wait until we’ve called you to discuss all the options with you before applying via UCAS. If you have not heard back from us and are worried about it being too late to apply, please contact us on 01332 593594.

I’ve registered for Clearing and had a conditional offer. When will I receive confirmation of my place?

One of our team will call you on 18 August (A-level results day) between 6.30am and 8pm. We understand it’s an anxious time, but please be patient. If you have any concerns about your place, please call us on 01332 593594.

The course I want to study is not available through the Clearing registration form, what does this mean?

Not all of our courses have been made available through the Clearing registration process, which closes on Wednesday 10 August. After this time our website will show which courses will be available for Clearing applications.

Applying through Clearing

I’ve been offered a place through Clearing. When will I receive a confirmation email?

A confirmation email will be sent to your email account the day an offer is made. Check your spam folders! If you haven’t received this by the following morning, call us back on 01332 591167.

I’ve applied through Clearing on UCAS but have heard nothing. What should I do?

Please check that you have added the course and institution details to your Clearing application by logging into your UCAS Track account. Some updates occur overnight so please allow 24 hours for your application to be processed.

Is there an Open Day for Clearing applicants?

Yes! We have Open Days at both our Derby and Buxton Campuses. You can find out more

What if I think of another question later on?

For course-related questions you can contact your Programme Leader (their contact details will be on your course page on our website).

For general questions about university life you can look at the Preparing to go to University pages on our website.

For admissions-related enquiries, please ring 01332 591167.

What happens if I change my mind?

Can I change course?

Yes. Call our Clearing Hotline 01332 592016 and your request will be processed by our Admissions team as soon as possible.

Can I defer?

If you already have an offer of a place for September 2016 you can defer your place until 2017*.

If you haven’t applied for 2016 and want to study at the University of Derby this September you can apply via UCAS.

(*EU students: please note the UK government has guaranteed funding for 2016 entry but is yet to decide the position on funding for EU students from 2017 onwards.)

Can I withdraw?

Yes. Call our Clearing Hotline 01332 592016 and your request will be processed by our Admissions team as soon as possible.

What happens next?

I’ve received my confirmation email. What shall I do now?

You have 24 hours to confirm your offer through UCAS Track. You’ll need to log onto your UCAS account to confirm this before the offer expires.

When will I find out about enrolment?

After you have accepted your place to study at Derby, you’ll be sent information about enrolment and starting your degree.  This will be sent to the email address used to apply through UCAS. There will also be a link that will give you the date, time and location of when you need to attend your programme welcome.

Loans, finance and money matters

Can I still apply for a student loan?

Yes. You will need to call the relevant Student Finance organisation depending where you live. Make sure that you have all paperwork and identification to hand as it’ll help speed up the process.

I’ve already applied for Student Finance, do I need to do anything else?

The University will let the relevant Student Finance organisation know that you have confirmed your enrolment. But you must let them know if you have changed courses, your fees have changed, or if you have changed institutions. Log in to your Student Finance account to make these changes.

Do I need to pay a deposit?

UK and EU students

If you are a UK or EU student and have a student loan then you don’t need to pay a deposit.

If you are self-financing you will need to pay a deposit at enrolment.

International Students

Yes, you will need to pay 50% of your annual tuition fee before you can enrol.  Please telephone +44 (0)1332 591698 for more information or go to our website:


When can I apply for accommodation?

When you receive a confirmation email from us this will have your Derby ID number on it. The number starts 100. You will need this number to register for accommodation.

Are there any rooms left in University Halls?

We are able to guarantee a room in Halls or University-approved private accommodation for students applying through Clearing. Contact our Accommodation team to find out more and secure your room:

  • If your course is based at Derby: 01332 594111
  • If your course is based at Buxton: 01298 330391
  • If your course is based at Chesterfield please contact us for information about University-approved private accommodation in the area.

Can you help me find University-approved private accommodation?

The University of Derby has a private housing scheme and all properties are assessed by us so you can be confident they’ll be safe and comfortable. Please telephone our accommodation office on 01332 591309 for up-to-date information about the properties available.

University Life

Do you have any information about Freshers’ Fortnight?

The University of Derby Students’ Union is the best place to find all of the events taking place during Freshers’ Fortnight.

Is there any car parking available?

To find out more about car parking on and around the Derby Campus go to:

To find out more about car parking on and around the Buxton Campus go to:

To find out about car parking in Halls go to:

Is there any help for students with a disability?

Yes, our Student Wellbeing Service will be able to assist you and offer support and advice for starting your University journey. Please visit:

Can I work while I’m a student?

UK/EU students: Yes, there are services at the University that can help you find part-time work both in the University and locally. For more information about our Student Employment Agency please call 01332 591830 or email us

International students: The number of hours that you can work will be outlined in your visa application.  

Our International Student Centre (ISC) can help you if you need any further information about your working rights: 


T: 01332 591616          

I’ve got a question about my Visa

Please contact our International team on 01332 591698 or email

Clearing at the University of Derby 2016

If you are yet to secure a place at university, or have changed your mind about which course to study or the university you want to attend, Clearing is for you. 

Connect with us