Developing inclusive learning and teaching
There are many things that can be done to develop inclusive learning and teaching:
- In order to make it possible to produce material in an appropriate format for a student with a disability, the obvious way forward is to prepare any handouts and session notes in electronic format as this may be adjusted to a format which meets the needs of the individual student at any time. This may also aid students for whom English is not the first language.
- When preparing course material, it is useful to pre-record core material in an audio media such as Panopto to allow students to review the session. This also aids students for whom English is not their first language (see guidance notes on creating accessible electronic learning resources).
- Remember that adapting material takes time and if a student is expected to buy an essential text from a Reading List, the list should be available well in advance in order that any student with a disability has the opportunity to have the material produced in an alternative format.
- Consider lecture presentation techniques; are your teaching techniques inclusive? (See guidance notes on lectures)
- Consider practical work, demonstrations, field trips and work placements. What can you do to ensure that students with disabilities are not disadvantaged during these activities? Are there alternative learning strategies which will allow the student to meet the same learning outcomes?
- Consider assessment techniques, can an alternative method of assessment be used which will equally demonstrate competence? (See guidance notes on assessments)
- When considering learning and teaching, use the websites listed on the Useful Resources Guidance under the specific disabilities to assist you in finding ways to overcome any obstacles you have when planning for inclusive teaching and learning.
What's Happening ...
Tuesday, 27 June (10 am - 12 pm)
Tutors from the Foundation Programme Joint Honours will be available to discuss teaching and marking practices. Examples of marked work will be available to view. This work is internally and externally moderated.
To book your place on this session, click here.