Creating accessible PowerPoint presentations
This page provides general guidance on making PowerPoint presentations more accessible. Some of the points are linked to help guides, which explain how to implement the recommendation.
- Make sure that text is at least size 24 where possible with headings even larger.
- Keep text short and concise and if needed expand upon points within the notes section.
- Ensure each slide has a unique title to help students find the information they need.
- Add alternative text to images, graphs, charts and tables.
- Use the default PowerPoint layouts for slides as this provides an automatic reading order for the items on the slide.
- Check the outline view of the slides to ensure that all the text based content is being picked up.
- Avoid slide transitions and keep animations simple to help organise information into manageable chunks.
- If you are adding links to websites in the document then ensure that you use meaningful text to make the link rather than the web address.
- Add screen tips to links to let users know where the link will take them to.
- Add the text from the slides to the note section. This makes is easier to convert the presentation into an alternative format.
- Consider the advice on making audio and video accessible if these are included as part of the presentation.
- Use the accessibility checker in Office 2010 to check for accessibility issues.
Microsoft PowerPoint presentations accessibility checklist
This list has been designed to assist you during the creation of a learning resource. You will need to use your own judgement about what is or isn’t appropriate, as this will change depending on your particular context.
Text is size 24 and larger for headings.
Sans serif font used (Arial, Verdana, Comic Sans).
Text colour not used to convey meaning.
Contrast high between the colour of the text and the slide background.
No underlined text or italics.
Text is short and concise and expanded upon points within the notes section.
Images, tables, graphs and charts
Audio and Video
What's Happening ...
Enhance Your Learning
Wednesday 12, 19 and 26 July
3.00-4.00 pm St Helena's Chestefield
General drop-in sessions where you can ask us about anything. Whether it is using the catalogue, accessing careers or wellbeing services or help with structuring your essays.
To book your place on these sessions, click here