I am a Senior Lecturer in Strategic Management and Programme Leader for MBA Global and MBA Global Finance (full-time mode of study). My subject area provides an exceptional opportunity to develop strategic management and strategic thinking skills at various levels of our degree programmes, research and consultancy projects as part of the Derby Business School and College of Business portfolio. I lead a number of modules at undergraduate and postgraduate levels which are aimed at developing strategic management competences of our students. I work with companies on a number of consultancy projects around development, evaluation and implementation of sustainable growth strategies.
I am passionate about sustainability and applied research that allows organisations to develop sustainable business models for a successful transition to a low carbon economy. As an active researcher in this filed, I work with a number of funding and public authorities to target development of the low carbon capabilities of regional SMEs.
I teach on the following modules:
- International Business Economics and Strategy ( level 6)
- International Business Theory and Strategy (level 7)
- Critical Perspectives in Strategic Management and Leadership (level 7)
- I supervise undergraduate and postgraduate research projects for our Independent Study Module as part of the broad portfolio of the programmes delivered at the Derby Business School
- I am a personal tutor and mentor for MBA Global and MBA Global Finance full-time students
- I supervise students towards Doctorate in Professional Practice (DProf)
There are two research strands I am currently working in:
- Strategy - Making in Universities: A Student Experience Perspective. My research in this strand contributes to understanding of the strategy-making practices in universities in the context of increasing marketization of the higher education sector and pressures to deliver ‘ a high quality student experience’ Tensions of institutional logics and institutional pressures are explored in relation to the main higher education occupational groupings.
- Low Carbon Strategies and Capability Building for a low carbon economy. This strand supports my participation in ERDF D2EE Low Carbon Project. The project work is to commence in summer 2016 which involves work packages within D2N2 SMEs to ensure the success of the business models and growth strategies towards the low carbon economy.
I am a member of British Academy of Management (2006 to present) and Strategic Management Society (SMS).
I was a member of the International Advisory Board for EDULEARN11.
Experience in industry
Having worked in consultancy and logistics before my academic career, I emphasise strong links between academic research and teaching with business practices in operations and strategic management.
Working for a high profile international consultancy company, I have participated in and led a number of national and multinational consultancy projects concerned with the development of MISs and business ventures for coal mines.