- Experimental and documentary film and photography and curation.
- Research models for creative arts practice.
- Currently Director of Studies / Supervisor for 5 PhD students in the School of Arts (4 previous PhD completions / 10 PhD External Examiner appointments)
Selected Photography and New Media
- 'Unwatched Operations' (Impressions Gallery, York and tour - 1986).
- 'Transitions' (Commission DCHE / East Midlands Arts and tour -1987).
- 'A Place in the Country' (Ffotogallery, Cardiff and tour - Book published by Michael Joseph. 1990).
- Home from Home' (Cross Channel Photographic Mission commission and tour -published in 'Soundings' 1993).
'A Perfect Society' (Zone Gallery 1995).
- 'Silver to Silicon' (Artec, 1996).
Selected Film Production (Credit as Co-Director/Producer/Writer)
- 'The Ship that Never Returned' (27mins, 16mm, 1987, Greater London Arts/Welsh Arts Council).
- 'The Lighthouse' (25mins, 16mm, 1989, The Discovery Channel/Screen Ventures).
- 'Walking on the Moon' (8mins, 16mm, 1990, KET TV).
- 'Gold Fever' (26mins, 16mm, 1993, Screen Ventures/Northern Arts).
- 'Five Prospects of the Jealous Wall' (5mins, 16mm, 1997, Northern Production Fund).
- 'Folly Obscura' (5mins, 35mm, 1999, Northern Production Fund).
- 'Reflections upon the Origin of the Pineapple' (7mins, 35mm, 2000, Scottish Arts Council/Scottish Screen/Northern Production Fund / National Lottery).
- 'The Perpetual Twilight of Gregor Black' (11mins, 35mm, 2004, Scottish Screen/ National Lottery).
- 'Reconfiguration' (4mins, 4 screen site-specific installation, 2005, Commission by Home Front Recall/Heritage Lottery Fund).
- 'The Changing Face' (3mins, single screen site-specific installation, 2007, Commission by Dott07 / Culture 10 / Welcomes Project).
- 'The Peoples Laws' (4mins, 4 screen installation and digital text display, site-specific installation 2008. Commission by Northumberland Lights / Culture 10)
Broadcast credits include: BBC 1 (UK), BBC 2 (UK), YLE (Finland), RTE (Republic of Ireland), TF1 (France), TF3 (France), The Discovery Channel (USA), Premier (Germany), ORS (Austria), TV2 (Denmark), Canal + (Poland).
Screenings in competition at over 100 international film festivals since 2000 including: Edinburgh (2000 and 2004). Cork (2000 and 2004). Sau Paulo (2000). London (2000 - runner up for TCM best short). Trencianske Teplice (2001). Philadelphia (2001 and 2005). European Media Arts Festival, Osnabruck (2001). Denver (2001 and 2004). Hong Kong (2002). Houston (2002 and 2005 Winner Best Short Film 2002 and 2005). Seattle (2004). Montreal Festival of World Cinema (2004). Los Angeles (2004). MECAL Barcelona (2004 - Winner 'Oblique' prize for Best Short Film). Interfilm Berlin (2004). Tehran (2004). Bratislava (2004). Clermont-Ferrand (2005). Cinequest - San Jose (2005). Arcipelago International Short Film Festival - Rome (2005). Tabor International Film Festival -Croatia (2005). Monterrey International Film Festival -Mexico (2005). Sonar International Short Film Festival, Firenze -Italy (2006 Award of Best Experimental-Visual Short). International Festival of Cinema and Technology (2007 world tour inc USA, Australia, UK).
- Curator of Artist film programme Berwick Film & Media Arts Festival since 2005 which has included: 'Crossing Borders' (2005 - Catalogue ISBN: 978-0-9551203-0-5.), 'Film on Film' (2007 - Catalogue ISBN: 978-0-9551203-1-2) and 'Stagings' (2010 - Catalogue ISBN: 0-9551203-4-9).
- Jury member of 'Exposure' section of Format International Photography Festival since 2009.
- 'The Films of the Jackson & Milne Archives 1924-2005'. Current research on two major collections of family home movies filmed in the Borders, Edinburgh and Glasgow over a period of 80 years. I have been working with the Scottish Screen Archive and National Libraries of Scotland since 2008. Interviewed by STV, Tyne Tees TV, BBC Radio Scotland and The Scotsman in relation to this work.
- See below Recent Publications for research activity since 2012.