I am a full time Senior Lecturer in Architecture and in July 2010, I was awarded the title of University Principal Tutor in the Built Environment (Architecture).
Programme Leader in Joint Honours Architectural Design.
Leader of the Built Environment Research Group until end 2014.
I graduated in Architecture from the Faculty of Architecture of the University of Florence, Italy in 1983. As a student, I had the opportunity to take part in very active research groups guided by distinguished specialists in Architectural Design (Leonardo Savioli, Adolfo Natalini, Giovanni Michelucci), Conservation and Restoration (Marco Dezzi-Bardeschi), History of Architecture (Emilio Battisti, Klaus Coening), Urban Planning and Social Architecture (Edoardo Detti).
I qualified and worked as a self-employed architect in Florence from 1983 to 1993. From 1993 to 1996 I studied at the Manchester Metropolitan University and was awarded a Masters of Arts in Interior Design. From 2001 to 2007 I taught a range of modules in Interior Design at the Leeds College of Art and Design; I promoted shared research interests (GIDE international programme) with my students, with several students shortlisted or winning design competitions (Formica, Satelliet).
I studied at the University of Leeds for a Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education from 2003 to 2007 and used the latest learning and teaching processes in my teaching, such as student peer assessment and personal development portfolios.
Currently I am involved in teaching on the following courses: BSc (Hons) Architectural Technology and Practice, BA (Hons) Architectural Venue Design, FdSc Architectural Studies, the Joint Honours Scheme.
I am very active in educational research.
1. Paper title: Biourbanism and self-organised built environment and sustainable communities during times of socio-political and economic turmoil
Conference: 2nd Annual International Conference on Construction, 18th-20thJune 2012, Athens, Greece.
Accepted: On February 2012
Presented: On 18th June 2012.
2. Paper title: Biourbanism for a Healthy City: Biophilia and Sustainable Urban Theories and Practices
Conference: International Convention on Innovations in Engineering and Technology for Sustainable Development, 3-5 September 2012, in Bannari Amman Institute of Technology, Erode District, Tamil Nadu, India
Accepted: On 16th July 2012 and it was presented in Bannari Amman Institute of Technology on 4th September.
/Panel title: Neuroergonomics and urban design. Assessing the evidence of Biourbanism practice, after the experience of the first International Summer School
Conference: EDRA44 PROVIDENCE: Conference organized by the Environmental Design Research Association and the University of Washington, College of Built Environments, in May 29-June 1, 2013 in Providence, Rhode Island.
Accepted: Abstract on 20th September 2012. The panel was accepted and the presentation took place in EDRA44PROVIDENCE on 1st June 2013.
4. Paper title: A New Paradigm for Deep Sustainability: Biourbanism
Conference: Renewbuild Conference in Turkey, 16-18 September, Ankara, Turkey.Submitted and
Accepted: Submitted and accepted in February 2013; this paper was presented on 17th September 2013 in the University of Gazi, Ankara, Turkey.
5. Paper title: Biourbanism as Neuroergonomics in Design in Higher Education
Conference: Towards a Progressive Arts Education: Inclusion, Change and Intervention Conference & Exhibition, British Library & University of Arts London, 6– 8 November 2013
Presented: On 8th November 2013 in a special session in UAL; the author is now a member of this network on Inclusivity in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education which has been introduced by Dr Kate Hatton, UAL.
6. Paper title: Thermodynamics of Architecture and Urban Fabric: Designing and Reshaping
Cityscapes by Laws of Nature
Conference: Eighth International Conference on Design Principles and Practices, “Design As Collective Intelligence, 16th-18th January 2014 in Vancouver, Canada. The Conference was co-hosted by the Carleton University School of Industrial Design and the Emily Carr University of Art and Design in Vancouver.
Presented: On 18th January 2014.
7. Paper title: ‘Hidden agenda in the last decade Localism and Housing Acts in UK. Where is good practice in East and West Midlands case studies?
Conference: III. Conference on Gypsy Studies, International scientific conference in Pécs, Hungary, 25th-26th April 2014 in the University of Pécs, Research Centre of Romology.
Presented: On 25th April 2014.
8. Paper title: Fractal cities: symmetries and patterns of fabric influencing human well-being
Conference: International Conference on art, architecture and urban design “Past present and future of public space (PPF Public Space)", 25th-27th June 2014, Bologna, Italy. Workshop on Neuroergonomics and urban environment: ‘Biourbanism for a human-centered sustainable design’, coordinated by Dr Antonio Caperna and Dr Antonio Serafini. This workshop has been inserted in ‘Multidisciplinary Fields’ as current primary domain and ‘Perception and senses in the urban space’ as current secondary domain.
via audio/video: On 25 June 2014
Experience in industry
15/12/1983 - 31/07/1993: Self-employed architect with professional studio in Florence Via degli Alfani 62 (until 1988)
and in Carmignano, Prato, Via S. Biagio 21 (until 1993).
Responsibilities: Design and/or direction of projects in restoration, refurbishment, housing, planning, interior and graphic design. Retail projects included fashion showrooms for Fusione srl, Florence, Lo Stuzzicchino and Ponte Vecchio Bars, Florence. Exhibition designs in collaboration with Targetti and Sestini Lory companies in the Fortezza da Basso, Florence, for Pitti Uomo and Pitti Donna. Graphic designs included logos and stationery, advertising etc. for bars, restaurants, showrooms in Florence, Prato and Empoli, Italy. Landscape designs included eco-projects, such as landscaped gardens on the top of a car park and a green space covering ventilation ducts of a supermarket in Scandicci, Nr Florence. Participation in stage designs for special performances and community projects in Florence and surrounding areas. Projects on housing and planning in Empoli, Nr Florence and restoration or refurbishment projects for interiors in historical buildings.
CHAPTERS (peer reviewed)
- Tracada, E. & O’ Leary, N. (2008), ‘Deep Learning and Understanding Lighting in Interiors: Focusing on ‘the Concepts’ rather than ‘the Signs’ in Rossi, M. & Scullica, F. (ed.s) Designing Designers: Light as an architectural matter – Lighting design, Milan: Edizioni POLI.design
- Tracada, E. (2008) ‘Design Codes and Design Language’ in Kate Hatton (ed.) Design-Pedagogy-Research, Leeds 2007, Huddersfield: Jeremy Mills Publishing Ltd
- Tracada, E. (2009) ‘La Chiesa sull’Autostrada di Giovanni Michelucci e Jorio Vivarelli” in Ferretti, V. (ed.) Jorio Vivarelli – La Materia della Vita: Catalogue of the exhibition, Sala d’Arme Palazzo Vecchio – Firenze (15 January-8 February 2009), Verona: Edizioni d’Arte Ghelfi
- Tracada, E. (2012) ‘Self Build Design and Construction Processes and the Future of Sustainable Design Education' in Patricios, N. & Alifragkis, S. (ed.s) Construction Essays on Architectural History, Theory & Technology, Athens: ATINER, pp157-172.
- Tracada, E. (2013) ‘Harmonious architecture and kinetic linear energy’ in Villemur, F. (ed.) in Dance Architecture Spatiality-Athens 2012, Montpellier: éditions del’espérou.
- Tracada, E. (2014) ‘Performing in Corso Palladio’ in Villemur, F. (ed.) in Dance Architecture Spatiality-Vicence 2013, Montpellier: Éditions de l’Espérou.
JOURNAL ARTICLES (Peer-reviewed)
- Tracada, E. (2011) ‘Reformation Places and the use of Senses in their Design: Seclusion Spaces and Heightened Sensory Awareness/Responsiveness’ in the International Journal of Interdisciplinary Social Sciences, Volume 5, Number 10, 2011, pp355-370.
- Tracada, E. (2013) 'The Fractal Urban Coherence in Biourbanism: The Factual Elements of Urban Fabric' in The International Journal of Architectonic, Spatial, and Environmental Design, Volume 7, Issue 1,pp1-17 and available at http://ijgase.cgpublisher.com/product/pub.240/prod.41 (ISSN: 2325-1662)
CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS (Peer-reviewed)
- Tracada, E. (2010) ‘Assessment of International Collaborative Undergraduate and Postgraduate Courses in Art, Design and Architecture: Learning without barriers’ in W089 Commission of Building Research and Education Papers, Paper Nr 1231, in Barrett, P., Amaratunga, D., Haigh, R., Karaminiyage, K. & Pathirage, C. (ed.s) Congress Proceedings of CIB Congress 2010 - Building a Better World in The Lowry, Salford Quays, United Kingdom, 10-13 May 2010, available in http://www.cib2010.org/post/files/papers/1231.pdf
- Tracada, E. (2010) ‘From Modernism and under the Fascist flag of Italian Nation to Post-modernist urban sprawl: the emergence and the power of the Schools of Architecture in Italy’ in Quek, R. (ed.) Proceedings of the Conference Theoretical Currents I: Architecture, Design, and the Nation, 13-15 September 2010, theme of ‘Historical Perspectives’.
- Tracada, E. & Caperna, A. (2012) ‘Biourbanism for a Healthy City: Biophilia and Sustainable Urban Theories and Practices’ in the Proceedings Vol.4: Biotechnology/Textile Technology/Fashion Technology of the International Convention on Innovations in Engineering and Technology for Sustainable Development, 3-5 September 2012, in Bannari Amman Institute of Technology, Erode District, Tamil Nadu, India, ppFT-01 to FT-09.
- Tracada, E. & Caperna, A. (2013) ‘Complexity and Biourbanism: Thermodynamical Architectural and Urban Models integrated in Modern Geographic Mapping’ (initially published end of April 2012 online in the Proceedings of the Theoretical Currents II Architecture and its Geographic Horizons Conference in Lincoln, UK, 4th-5th April 2012). The paper was initially inserted into the University of Lincoln Conferences’ Documents Store and it has been now published in www.biourbanism.org at http://www.biourbanism.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/TC-II-paper_Caperna-Tracada.pdf
- Tracada, E. & Caperna, A. (2013) 'A New Paradigm for Deep Sustainability: Biourbanism’ in Application of Efficient & Renewable Energy Technologies in Low Cost Buildings and Construction Conference Proceedings, International Conference & Exhibition, 16-18 September 2013, Ankara-Turkey, Gazi University & University of South Wales, pp367-381
- Tracada, E. (2011) ‘Editorial’ in the Journal of Biourbanism, Issue 1, Rome, Italy, available online at http://journalofbiourbanism.org/category/jbu-i-2011-1/
- Tracada, E. (2012) ‘Editorial’ in the Journal of Biourbanism, Issue 1, Rome, Italy, available online at http://journalofbiourbanism.org/category/jbu-ii-2012-1/
- Tracada, E. (2012) ‘Editorial’ in the Journal of Biourbanism, Issue 2, Rome, Italy, available online at
- Tracada, E. (2013) ‘Editorial’ in the Journal of Biourbanism, Issue 1&2, Rome, Italy, available online at http://journalofbiourbanism.org/category/jbu-iii-2013-1-2/