- Choose a course specifically designed for architects, architectural technologists, design managers, project managers, civil/structural engineers, surveyors and other construction professionals with a keen interest in BIM
- Learn how to deliver better value through integrated design and project collaboration
- Gain a professional Autodesk recognised certification, subject to the successful completion of exams (optional)
- Study at a university which is one of only four CIAT Centres of Excellence in the UK
- Draw on our extensive industrial links and the expertise of our research-active and highly experienced staff
- Hone your skills using project collaboration simulation scenarios based on real-world practices
- Look forward to great career prospects: 100% of graduates were in work or further study within six months of completing the course (HESA 2016)
- Enjoy a first-rate learning experience: for the second year running 100% of students said they were satisfied with this course overall (PTES 2018)
Houzz are excited to announce the new Houzz Scholarship Programme. The goal is to support the next generation of students studying architecture, interior design, landscape architecture and construction management. They are looking for the best, brightest and most innovative students in residential design and construction. Apply here www.houzz.co.uk/scholarships
Our MSc takes an innovative approach to BIM-enabled integrated design, drawing on work-based and real-life projects along with cutting-edge technology. It offers collaborative learning methods as well as flexible modes of delivery.
At the forefront of innovation
This programme has been introduced at a time when Building Information Modelling (BIM) is increasingly playing a major role in the whole lifecycle of projects. It builds on the vision, showcased by the government in its strategic plan for Level 3 BIM, for greater efficiency and profitability in Digital Built Britain.
You will study the theory and practice of BIM as the emerging industry-standard approach to the design, analysis and management of the building life cycle.
The course incorporates an innovative blend of design management, sustainable design analysis, advanced modelling, customisation and visualisation, all at the cutting edge of technology.
You will also have the opportunity to research novel approaches and technologies for more efficient design integration and project collaboration, so that you can understand the impact of BIM on the design process and workflow requirements.
Get involved in pioneering research
You will be able to draw inspiration from – and take part in – the leading-edge research and consultancy projects being undertaken by our lecturers in the field of BIM-enabled integrated design and construction. These include the work pioneered by on projects such as SmartPoD and Retro-Tek.
This course is made up of three stages - Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Diploma and MSc.
You will study modules such as:
- Research Methods, Application and Evaluation
- BIM and Integrated Project Collaboration
- nD BIM – Costing, Project Planning and Design Management
- Environmental Risk and Responsibility (this module will be delivered online for students joining the course in January.)
You will study modules such as:
- Advanced Parametric Design and Specification
- BIM and Sustainable Design Analysis
You will also choose modules such as:
- Project Planning, Value Engineering and Risk Management
- Construction Contracts and Dispute Resolution
- Sustainable Architecture and Low Energy Design
- Negotiated Module
You will study one module such as:
- Independent Scholarship (Technology)
The programme focuses, at postgraduate level, on the theory and practice of Building Information Modelling (BIM) as the emerging industry-standard approach to the design, procurement and management of a building life cycle.
It uses project collaboration simulation scenarios as close to real-world practices as academically possible.
We adopt a variety of assessment methods, including a combination of coursework and live project collaboration, assignments, exhibitions, graphic and oral presentations. To gain Autodesk Certification, you will need to undertake an exam.
You will require:
- A minimum of a 2:2 undergraduate degree in architectural, construction or other built environment, or a professional qualification of equal standing, or significant practical or professional experience that would support your application.
- If English is not your first language you will need to demonstrate proficiency in English (IELTS 6.0 or equivalent).
If you don't have a relevant degree, applicants from non-traditional backgrounds are welcome and will be accepted subject to successful interview and relevant work experience.
2018/19 Fees (August 2018 - July 2019)
£690 per 20 credits*
£690 per 20 credits*
£13,500 for the full programme
*Note – at postgraduate level, you’ll need to gain the following number of credits in total to obtain the awards below.
|Postgraduate Certificate||60 Credits|
|Postgraduate Diploma||120 Credits|
|MA or MSc||180 Credits|
This means you will gain 180 credits in total to complete the full MA or MSc. If you are studying part time you will normally complete your studies over two or three years, depending on the course structure.
Please note that all fees may be subject to annual increase.
Funding your studies
Find out more about fees, postgraduate loans and support you may be entitled to.
Find out about funding your studies
Alumni discount for Derby graduates
We offer a discount on postgraduate course fees for all Derby alumni.
Find out about the Alumni discount
Scholarships and bursaries
We also offer a number of funding opportunities for all International students, including discounts, scholarships and bursaries.
Find out about scholarships and bursaries
Graduates from this course can look forward to a wide range of BIM-related career opportunities in consultancy and design management as well as architectural practices. They could also take on many different types of roles with central and local government, property developers, building contractors, housing associations, retail enterprises and manufacturing companies.
You could also consider further study and research towards a PhD qualification and/or an academic career.
† Additional information about your studies
Download programme specification
Like most universities, we operate extended teaching hours at the University of Derby, so contact time with your lecturers and tutors could be anytime between 9am and 9pm. Your timetable will usually be available on the website 24 hours after enrolment on to your course.
Please note: Our courses are refreshed and updated on a regular basis. If you are thinking about transferring onto this course (into the second year for example), you should contact the programme leader for the relevant course information as modules may vary from those shown on this page.