Full-time: 1 year, Part-time: 2 years
£9,075 for the full course or £1,010 per 20 credits* (2023/24)
£14,900 for the full course (2023/24)
Markeaton Street, Derby Campus
- This course is accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT)
- Study a CIAT accredited course at a university which is one of only four CIAT Centres of Excellence in the UK
- Choose a course specifically designed for architects, architectural technologists, design managers, project managers, civil/structural engineers, surveyors and other construction professionals with a keen interest in BIM
- Learn how to deliver better value through integrated design and project collaboration
- Draw on our extensive industrial links and the expertise of our research-active and highly experienced staff
- Hone your skills using project collaboration simulation scenarios based on real-world practices
Student feedback - Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey 2023
of our students are satisfied with the overall quality of the course
100%of our students agreed that the course is intellectually stimulating
100%of our students agreed that staff are enthusiastic about what they teach
Study an Accredited course; a springboard to Chartership
This course is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologies (CIAT), a dynamic, forward-thinking and inclusive global membership qualifying body for Architectural Technology.
CIAT is a membership organisation representing 10,000 members, including those practising and studying within the discipline and profession, who wish to be professionally recognised.
CIAT Accreditation implies that the programme has been assessed in terms of content, structure, resources and has met the Institute's requirements.
Whilst enrolled on this course, you will benefit from free student membership with CIAT where you'll be able to:
- Access their recourses to further enhance your professional development and enrich your studies
- Upon graduation, you'll be eligible to apply for Associate Membership (ACIAT) and you will be entitled to exemptions against the educational standards of the MCIAT Professional Assessment when progressing to become a Chartered Architectural Technologist, MCIAT
The course is also accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). RICS is a globally recognised and highly regarded professional body that promotes positive change in the built and natural environments. They advocate and enforce the highest professional standards in the development and management of land, real-estate, construction, and infrastructure around the world.
This prestigious RICS accreditation sets a quality benchmark which ensures that the MSc Building Information Modelling (BIM) and Project Collaboration course is delivered to a high standard, includes content relevant to current industrial practice and is future ready, enabling you to tackle societal challenges and create better places to live.
Become a Chartered Surveyor in 2 years through APC-24
If you are aspiring to become a Chartered Surveyor, then this accredited course will put you on track to achieve MRICS status in just 2 years. Upon completing the course, you will be able to go on to complete the Assessment of Professional Competence (APC-24) which requires 24 months of structured workplace training prior to undertaking the final APC assessment.
The RICS Chartered qualification (MRICS) is a highly valued asset in built environment sector, worldwide. This status can provide many professional benefits including being part of a global professional network, access to jobs around the work, and expanding your skills and knowledge, future career prospects and earning potential.
Build your professional network and strengthen your employability
If you are enrolled onto a RICS accredited course, you can:
- Join RICS as a student member for free, where you'll be able to:
- Access an elite network of 134,000 RICS professional worldwide and join the Surveying professional community via the RICS LinkedIn Group
- Benefit from RICS Matrics which supports trainee or newly qualified surveyors to build your professional network, expand your skills set and develop connections with other like-minded professionals
- Gain knowledge and view resources to keep you at the forefront of industry including RICS Journals, conferences and seminars, training, international practice standards and professional guidance, CPD resources, independent research and cutting-edge thinking
- Add value to your CV with an internationally recognised accredited degree and highly regarded qualification, valued by employers as the benchmark of quality
The academic modules were intellectually stimulating and eye-opening. Lecturers provided us with a wealth of knowledge and always encouraged us to think critically for ourselves. The lectures were adapted to our respective backgrounds, leaving no one behind.
MSc Building Information Modelling and Project Collaboration
At the forefront of innovation
This programme has been introduced at a time when Building Information Modelling (BIM) is increasingly playing a major role in the whole lifecycle of projects. It builds on the vision, showcased by the government in its strategic plan for Level 3 BIM, for greater efficiency and profitability in Digital Built Britain.
You will study the theory and practice of BIM as the emerging industry-standard approach to the design, analysis and management of the building life cycle.
The course incorporates an innovative blend of design management, sustainable design analysis, advanced modelling, customisation and visualisation, all at the cutting edge of technology.
You will also have the opportunity to research novel approaches and technologies for more efficient design integration and project collaboration, so that you can understand the impact of BIM on the design process and workflow requirements.
Our MSc takes an innovative approach to BIM-enabled integrated design, drawing on work-based and real-life projects along with cutting-edge technology. It offers collaborative learning methods as well as flexible modes of delivery.
Get involved in pioneering research
You will be able to draw inspiration from – and take part in – the leading-edge research and consultancy projects being undertaken by our lecturers in the field of BIM-enabled integrated design and construction.
The built environment staff have strong research and practice backgrounds and are actively engaged in applied research and collaboration with the industry. Since most of our research is applied by nature and as such underpins the curriculum, the Master’s students are gaining from regular research seminars, guest lectures and CPD events. This includes research-active lecturers who are incorporating current research thinking and advances into their teaching, projects and independent studies supervision, wherever appropriate. The programme curriculum is aligned to the current needs of professional practice in the construction industry, complemented by the extensive industrial links and current staff expertise and research profile.
The research environment is provided by a multidisciplinary team which focuses on a research profile that in particular underpins teaching and the curriculum in areas of sustainable urban design and architecture, BIM and project collaboration, technical architecture and construction. Current research themes are organised around the following key areas:
- Sustainable Architecture
- Healthy Buildings
- Technology and Materials
- BIM and Project Collaboration
- Digital Technologies
- Education and Pedagogical Research
- History and Theories of Architecture methods and site preparation
This course is made up of three stages - Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Diploma and MSc.
You will study modules such as:
- Research Methods, Application and Evaluation
- BIM and Integrated Project Collaboration
- nD BIM – Costing, Project Planning and Design Management
- Environmental Risk and Responsibility (this module will be delivered online for students joining the course in January.)
You will study modules such as:
- Advanced Parametric Design and Specification
- Sustainable Design Analysis and Simulation
You will also choose modules such as:
- Project Planning, Value Engineering and Risk Management
- Construction Contracts and Dispute Resolution
- Sustainable Architecture and Low Energy Design
- Negotiated Module
You will study one module such as:
- Independent Scholarship (Technology)
Please note that our modules are subject to change - we review the content of our courses regularly, making changes where necessary to improve your experience and graduate prospects.
The programme focuses, at postgraduate level, on the theory and practice of Building Information Modelling (BIM) as the emerging industry-standard approach to the design, procurement and management of a building life cycle.
It uses project collaboration simulation scenarios as close to real-world practices as academically possible.
We adopt a variety of assessment methods, including a combination of coursework and live project collaboration, assignments, exhibitions, graphic and oral presentations. To gain Autodesk Certification, you will need to undertake an exam.
You will require:
- A minimum of a 2:2 undergraduate degree in architectural, construction or other built environment, or a professional qualification of equal standing, or significant practical or professional experience that would support your application.
- If English is not your first language you will need to demonstrate proficiency in English (IELTS 6.0 or equivalent).
If you don't have a relevant degree, applicants from non-traditional backgrounds are welcome and will be accepted subject to successful interview and relevant work experience.
2023/24 (August 2023 - July 2024)
£9,075 for the full course or £1,010 per 20 credits*
£1,010 per 20 credits
£14,900 for the full course
Please note fees normally increase in line with inflation and the University's strategic approach to fees, which is reviewed on an annual basis. The total fee you pay may therefore increase after one year of study.
* UK full-time fees paid within one academic year are rounded down to the nearest £50 if applicable
Additional costs and optional extras
About postgraduate awards
Please note at postgraduate level, you’ll need to gain the following number of credits in total to obtain the respective awards. If you have any questions please contact us.
|Postgraduate Certificate||60 Credits|
|Postgraduate Diploma||120 Credits|
|MA or MSc||180 Credits|
This means you will gain 180 credits in total to complete the full MA or MSc. If you are studying part time you will normally complete your studies over two or three years, depending on the course structure.
Funding your studies
Find out more about fees, postgraduate loans and support you may be entitled to.
Find out about funding your studies
Alumni discount for Derby graduates
We offer a discount on postgraduate course fees for all Derby alumni.
Find out about the Alumni discount
How to apply
Please look at our application deadlines before you apply.
This course is now closed to new international student applications for September 2023.
To apply for January 2024 and September 2024, please keep checking for updates
Graduates from this course can look forward to a wide range of BIM-related career opportunities in consultancy and design management as well as architectural practices. They could also take on many different types of roles with central and local government, property developers, building contractors, housing associations, retail enterprises and manufacturing companies.
You could also consider further study and research towards a PhD qualification and/or an academic career.
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- Senior Structural Engineer
- BIM Coordinator
- Junior BIM Manager
- BIM Implementation Manager
Employers our graduates have gone on to work for include:
- Corstorphine and Wright
If you need any more information from us, eg on courses, accommodation, applying, car parking, fees or funding, please contact us and we will do everything we can to help you.Contact us
Additional information about your studies
Download programme specification
Like most universities, we operate extended teaching hours at the University of Derby, so contact time with your lecturers and tutors could be anytime between 9am and 9pm. Your timetable will usually be available on the website 24 hours after enrolment on to your course.
Additional costs and optional extras
We’re committed to providing you with an outstanding learning experience. Our expert teaching, excellent facilities and great employability prepare you for your future career. As part of our commitment to you we aim to keep any additional study costs to a minimum. However, there are occasions where students may incur some additional costs.
The information provided on this page is correct at the time of publication but course content, costs and other individual course details do change from time to time and are updated as often as possible, so please do check these pages again when making your final decision to apply for a course. Any updated course details will also be confirmed to you at application, enrolment and in your offer letter.
Included in your fees
- Use of resources, use of workshop and specialist CAD/BIM/VR facilities
- Free student membership of accredited bodies
- Organised site visits and fieldtrips
Mandatory costs not included in your fees
- Ecobuild Trip contribution - £10 per person.
Optional costs not included in your fees
- Course books - approx. £15 per book depending on source
Other courses you might like