Full-time: 1 year, Part-time: 2 years
£875 per 20 credits* (2020/21)
£14,700 for the full programme (2020/21)
Markeaton Street, Derby Campus
- Study a CIAT accredited course at a university which is one of only four CIAT Centres of Excellence in the UK
- Choose a course specifically designed for architects, architectural technologists, design managers, project managers, civil/structural engineers, surveyors and other construction professionals with a keen interest in BIM
- Learn how to deliver better value through integrated design and project collaboration
- Draw on our extensive industrial links and the expertise of our research-active and highly experienced staff
- Hone your skills using project collaboration simulation scenarios based on real-world practices
- Look forward to great career prospects: 100% of graduates were in work or further study within six months of completing the course (HESA 2016)
- 92% of MSc Building Information Modelling (BIM) and Project Collaboration students are satisfied with the overall quality of their course (PTES 2019)
- You can also choose to study this course online
CIAT Accredited course; a springboard to Chartership
This course is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologies (CIAT), a dynamic, forward-thinking and inclusive global membership qualifying body for Architectural Technology.
CIAT is a membership organisation representing 10,000 members, including those practising and studying within the discipline and profession, who wish to be professionally recognised.
CIAT Accreditation implies that the programme has been assessed in terms of content, structure, resources and has met the Institute's requirements.
Whilst enrolled on this course, you will benefit from free student membership with CIAT where you'll be able to access their recourses to further enhance your professional development and enrich your studies. Upon graduation, you'll be eligible to apply for Associate Membership (ACIAT) and you will be entitled to exemptions against the educational standards of the MCIAT Professional Assessment when progressing to become a Chartered Architectural Technologist, MCIAT.
Our MSc takes an innovative approach to BIM-enabled integrated design, drawing on work-based and real-life projects along with cutting-edge technology. It offers collaborative learning methods as well as flexible modes of delivery.
At the forefront of innovation
This programme has been introduced at a time when Building Information Modelling (BIM) is increasingly playing a major role in the whole lifecycle of projects. It builds on the vision, showcased by the government in its strategic plan for Level 3 BIM, for greater efficiency and profitability in Digital Built Britain.
You will study the theory and practice of BIM as the emerging industry-standard approach to the design, analysis and management of the building life cycle.
The course incorporates an innovative blend of design management, sustainable design analysis, advanced modelling, customisation and visualisation, all at the cutting edge of technology.
You will also have the opportunity to research novel approaches and technologies for more efficient design integration and project collaboration, so that you can understand the impact of BIM on the design process and workflow requirements.
Get involved in pioneering research
You will be able to draw inspiration from – and take part in – the leading-edge research and consultancy projects being undertaken by our lecturers in the field of BIM-enabled integrated design and construction. These include the work pioneered by on projects such as SmartPoD and Retro-Tek.
of our students agreed that staff are enthusiastic about what they teach*
100%of our students agreed that staff are good at explaining things*
100%of our students agreed that the course is intellectually stimulating*
This course is made up of three stages - Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Diploma and MSc.
You will study modules such as:
- Research Methods, Application and Evaluation
- BIM and Integrated Project Collaboration
- nD BIM – Costing, Project Planning and Design Management
- Environmental Risk and Responsibility (this module will be delivered online for students joining the course in January.)
You will study modules such as:
- Advanced Parametric Design and Specification
- Sustainable Design Analysis and Simulation
You will also choose modules such as:
- Project Planning, Value Engineering and Risk Management
- Construction Contracts and Dispute Resolution
- Sustainable Architecture and Low Energy Design
- Negotiated Module
You will study one module such as:
- Independent Scholarship (Technology)
Please note that our modules are subject to change - we review the content of our courses regularly, making changes where necessary to improve your experience and graduate prospects.
The programme focuses, at postgraduate level, on the theory and practice of Building Information Modelling (BIM) as the emerging industry-standard approach to the design, procurement and management of a building life cycle.
It uses project collaboration simulation scenarios as close to real-world practices as academically possible.
We adopt a variety of assessment methods, including a combination of coursework and live project collaboration, assignments, exhibitions, graphic and oral presentations. To gain Autodesk Certification, you will need to undertake an exam.
Who will teach you
Dr Boris Ceranic
You will require:
- A minimum of a 2:2 undergraduate degree in architectural, construction or other built environment, or a professional qualification of equal standing, or significant practical or professional experience that would support your application.
- If English is not your first language you will need to demonstrate proficiency in English (IELTS 6.0 or equivalent).
If you don't have a relevant degree, applicants from non-traditional backgrounds are welcome and will be accepted subject to successful interview and relevant work experience.
2020/21 Fees (August 2020 - July 2021)
£875 per 20 credits*
£875 per 20 credits*
£14,700 for the full programme
*Note – at postgraduate level, you’ll need to gain the following number of credits in total to obtain the awards below.
|Postgraduate Certificate||60 Credits|
|Postgraduate Diploma||120 Credits|
|MA or MSc||180 Credits|
This means you will gain 180 credits in total to complete the full MA or MSc. If you are studying part time you will normally complete your studies over two or three years, depending on the course structure.
Please note that all fees may be subject to annual increase.
Additional costs and optional extras
Graduates from this course can look forward to a wide range of BIM-related career opportunities in consultancy and design management as well as architectural practices. They could also take on many different types of roles with central and local government, property developers, building contractors, housing associations, retail enterprises and manufacturing companies.
You could also consider further study and research towards a PhD qualification and/or an academic career.
If you need any more information from us, eg on courses, accommodation, applying, car parking, fees or funding, please contact us and we will do everything we can to help you.Contact us
Additional information about your studies
Download programme specification
Like most universities, we operate extended teaching hours at the University of Derby, so contact time with your lecturers and tutors could be anytime between 9am and 9pm. Your timetable will usually be available on the website 24 hours after enrolment on to your course.
Additional costs and optional extras
We’re committed to providing you with an outstanding learning experience. Our expert teaching, excellent facilities and great employability prepare you for your future career. As part of our commitment to you we aim to keep any additional study costs to a minimum. However, there are occasions where students may incur some additional costs.
The information below is correct for entry in the academic year September 2020 - August 2021 only. Entry for future academic years may be subject to change.
Included in your fees
- Use of resources, use of workshop and specialist CAD/BIM/VR facilities
- Free student membership of accredited bodies
- Organised site visits and fieldtrips
Mandatory costs not included in your fees
- Ecobuild Trip contribution - £10 per person.
Optional costs not included in your fees
- Course books - approx. £15 per book depending on source
Please note: Our courses are refreshed and updated on a regular basis. If you are thinking about transferring onto this course (into the second year for example), you should contact the programme leader for the relevant course information as modules may vary from those shown on this page.