- Sharpen your skills and showcase your talent in competitions and exhibitions. Appearing at exhibitions such as New Designers in London and competing in national and international student design competitions such as RSA and D&AD has helped our graduates launch successful careers and raise their profile
- Give yourself a competitive edge – work placements can lead to an extra qualification, the Diploma in Professional Practice
- Our Digital Print Resource offers you hands-on experience with a wide range of the latest digital printing equipment including a Mimaki fabric printer, sublimation printer, laser cutter, UV printer, large format photographic printers, Roland vinyl printer, bookbinding and foiling machine
- Students find jobs in a range of fields including advertising, web/digital design, computer games, illustration, film/television and publishing. Others set up their own businesses in our Banks Mill Studios; a vibrant community of creative and digital industries offering vital business stat-up support.
Fashion and Textiles
Our fashion and textiles courses are part of a strong creative community where students and staff from all disciplines collaborate on a wide range of projects.
- Study in our new £3 million dedicated fashion and textiles facility at Chandos Pole Street. We are the only university in the UK to own two Jacquard looms
- Build your experience and contacts through work placements and live projects
- Showcase your work at major events and exhibitions including our Degree Show
- Our optional work placement year can lead to an extra qualification, the Diploma in Professional Practice
A forward-thinking city, Derby is the birthplace of innovation – so where better to study for your degree? We work closely with employers to ensure that our courses meet industry needs and stay at the forefront of developments in thinking and practice in this rapidly changing world. You’ll learn in well-resourced, professional design studios and will get hands-on in our traditional workshop facilities.
Degrees recognised by industry mean that you’ll have plenty to offer employers after graduation. You could go on to careers in interior design practice, venue project management, design consultancy, styling and retail display or film, TV and stage set design.
Creative and innovative, our product design courses will encourage you to push the boundaries of art and science. Whether you want to specialise in furniture design, create eco-friendly products or focus on manufacture, our great industry links mean you’ll be working on projects and assignments set by employers, giving you plenty of real experience. Our courses are highly practical and hands-on, and you’ll spend most of your time in the studio and workshop, developing 2D and 3D design. Your work will be on display at our Degree Show in your final year. Work is then hand-picked to be displayed at New Designers in London, an excellent opportunity to network and make vital contacts to get you started in your career.
- Our BA and BSc courses are accredited by the Institution of Engineering Designers (IED) so when you graduate you will be recognised as a Registered Product Designer (RProdDes) by the IED. Once you have achieved an RProdDes accredited first degree, you have a pathway to Chartership
- You’ll study in a dedicated product design studio and use a variety of equipment, including a 3D scanner and printer, and industry-standard software packages such as SolidWorks and AutoCAD
- Work placements can lead to an extra qualification – the Diploma in Professional Practice.