This accelerated apprenticeship is a three-year course. Unique to this course, academic study takes place online, allowing for flexibility with self-directed study, coupled with an annual week's 'residential' week at the University of Derby where you will interact with your peers in our immersive clinical skills suite, take part in clinical simulation scenarios and attend lectures/teaching sessions taught by subject experts.
Modules are taught over three trimesters a year through online Collaborate sessions, webinars, and unit activities. You will be assessed using a variety of assessment methods to suit your learning needs, such as academic coursework/assignments, competencies, presentations, online examinations and VIVAS (Oral exams).
Each student has a personal academic tutor who is part of the core lecturing team to provide guidance to the student throughout the three years of the course and will have tripartite reviews with the student and workplace mentor at regular intervals to discuss the students' progress both academically and practically and identify any areas of additional support.
Additional support for learners who have dyslexia or additional learning needs.
What will you study?
- Working and learning in Operating Department Practice (20 credits)
- Principles of Scrub and Circulating Practice (20 credits)
- Principles of Anaesthetic Practice (20 credits)
- Science and Pharmacology for Operating Department Practice (20 credits)
- Anatomy and Physiology for Operating Department Practice 1 (20 credits)
- Patient Care Concepts (20 credits)
- Developing Anaesthetic Practice (20 credits)
- Evidence-Based Practice (20 credits)
- Anatomy and Physiology for Operating Department Practice 2 (20 credits)
- Practice in Post Anaesthetic Care (20 units)
- Developing Scrub and Circulating Practice (20 credits)
- Exploring Leadership and Management in Operating Department Practice (20 credits)
- Complex Perioperative Care (20 credits)
- Work-Based Study - Dissertation (40 credits)
- Facilitating Learning and Assessment (20 credits)
- Management of Medication (20 credits)
- Transition to Practice Beyond Registration (20 credits)
Perfect timing as Georgia retrains via hospital apprenticeship
Georgia Wood’s timing was perfect. The hospital worker was looking to pursue her passion and retrain as an Operating Department Practitioner - just as her employer was looking for ODP Apprentices - she applied straight away.Learn more about Georgia's story