The apprenticeship runs over a minimum of 12 months and consists of 80% on the job training and 20% off the job training. Usually the 80% on the job training will consist of the apprentice being in an independent role as an unqualified teacher working four days per working week, delivering a subject specialism or teaching a specific age phase of children. The 20% off the job training consists of a variety of activities which will usually take place one day per working week.
As part of the 80% on the job training, apprentices must teach in two different school settings to ensure compliance with statutory Initial Teacher Training criteria and supporting advice issued by the Department for Education.
On completion of this apprenticeship, the individual will be confirmed to be a competent and qualified teacher, having already achieved QTS and entered the teaching profession. Having completed a programme of Initial Teacher Education (ITE) and obtained QTS, the apprentice will complete the end-point assessment at the start of their Early Career Teacher (ECT) year. Once the QTS has been achieved, the end-point assessment must be completed within three months.
The independent end-point assessment comprises of:
- A lesson observed and assessed by an independent assessor
- A professional discussion, which will assess the apprentices’ knowledge, skills and behaviours with regard to the Teachers’ Standards
- Semester 1: Applied Professional Practice and Pedagogy 1 - Professional Identity and Accountability
- Semester 2: Applied Professional Practice and Pedagogy 2 - Understanding Learners Raising Aspirations
- Semester 3: Applied Professional Practice and Pedagogy 3 - Developing Subject Age Phase Curricula
- Successful completion of the modules leads to the award of University Advanced Diploma and Qualified Teacher Status (both elements graded Pass/Fail)
- Award of Qualified Teacher Status is the gateway to End Point Assessment
- Preparation for End Point Assessment: Apprentice must complete the End Point Assessment within three months of being awarded QTS
- Successful completion of End Point Assessment (graded outstanding, pass or inadequate)
Request more information about our apprenticeship programmes
Want to talk to a member of the team about our apprenticeship programmes? Make an enquiry and a member of our team will get in contact with to provide you with more information about our apprenticeships, and how our programmes can up-skill your workforce.Request more information about apprenticeships