Position: Senior Lecturer Human Resource Management, Programme Leader MSc Human Resource Management (Full time)
College: College of Business, Law and Social Sciences
Department: Derby Business School
Subject area: Business and Management
As well as facilitating the development of students' subject knowledge in the field, I work in partnership with students to support them in the development of professional and academic skills to support their study at the University and their continued life long learning and career development after leaving our formal programmes.
Supporting the Faculty and School vision
I work hard to contribute to the faculty and business school vision by offering a challenging but supportive learning experience for all students who work with me. I aim to provide inspirational education through a continual search for new and innovative learning and teaching practices to enhance student learning. I draw on my commercial experience to offer students a practical and applied programme of study underpinned by sound academic knowledge and critical thinking skills. I maintain my own knowledge currency through contacts with employers through professional membership of the Chartered Institute for Personnel and Development and teaching roles working with corporate clients.
- Undergraduate: Employee Development, Principles of Leadership, Employability and PDP
- Postgraduate: Managing the Dynamic Organisation, Leading Managing and Developing People, Performance Management, Learning and Talent Development
- Human Resource Management
- Leadership and Performance Management
- Human Resource Development (HRD) and Talent and Learning Development
- Academic and Professional Skill Development
- Performance Management and HRD.
- During 2008/2009 I held the role of BCL University Teaching Fellow on PDP and undertook a research project examining barriers to the implementation of effective PDP learning and teaching strategies at The University of Derby presented at the 2009 Learning and Teaching Conference.
- Chartered Member of the CIPD (Chartered MCIPD)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA)
- BSc Management Science (First Class), UMIST (University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology)
- MSc Personnel and Industrial Relations (Distinction), UMIST (University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology)
- Bevitt S (2011) DIY Lectures - A participative learning tool for subject knowledge and skill development, Conference Poster, University of Derby Learning, Teaching and Assessment conference
- Bevitt S, Crighton B, Sams B (2011) Developing an on line Harvard referencing support tool, Conference Poster, University of Derby Learning, Teaching and Assessment conference
- Bevitt S, Carlier J, Watson K (2011) Patchwork assessment - a critical evaluation Conference Poster, University of Derby Learning, Teaching and Assessment conference
- Grugulis I, Bevitt S Investing in People in the NHS - Case Study contribution in Redman T, Wilkinson A (2006) Contemporary Human Resource management, Text and Cases, 2nd Ed, Harlow, FT Prentice Hall
- Grugulis I, Bevitt S (2002) Assessing the Impact of Investors in People, Human Resource Management Journal,Volume 1 number 3
- The University of Derby Learning, Teaching and Assessment Conference (2009) PDP: Where are the goal posts?
I am passionate about employee and student development and with providing students with a quality education experience that challenges and supports them to learn, develop and grow. I love facilitating hard working students with enquiring minds to be the best they can be, watching their knowledge skills and confidence grow and moving on to start or develop exciting careers in the business world.
Current Activities / Links with Industry
I maintain my link with industry through the local CIPD branch network.
Before taking up my academic post at The University of Derby I worked commercially across the public, private and not for profit sectors in general management and human resource management roles. This included roles at Royal Mail and J Sainsburys.
My last position before joining the University was as Head of Human Resources for a not for profit organisation working in the drug treatment sector where my responsibilities included policy and strategic development including a review and restructure of the HR department to meet the changing needs of the business. This role involved me working in partnership with the Prison Service and included the management of a large TUPE (Transfer of Undertaking Protection of Employment) process.