I am Module Leader for:
- Computational Mathematics (Level 4 – Computer Science)
- Calculus (Level 4, Mathematics)
- Modelling with Differential Equations (Level 6 - Mathematics)
- Optimization (Level 7, MSc Computational Mathematics)
I am Programme Leader for MSc Computational Mathematics, MSc Big Data Analytics and Departmental Coordinator for Mathematics and Computing for Erasmus+. I have been Placement Tutor for Mathematics students since 2012 and I am the International Recruitment Tutor for Mathematics programs and MSc Big Data. I am also Outreach Coordinator for Mathematics, selecting and training students for outreach activities.
My current PhD students are Craig Bower, Sam O'Neill, Lucia Cavallaro, Enrico Ferrara. My past PhD Students are Andrew Bower, Haresh Singh Kainth (2014).
My motto: "All what is correct thinking is either mathematics or feasible to be transposed in a mathematical model." (G. Moisil 1906 - 1973)
- Research in computational mathematics
- Communicate mathematics to a wider audience
- Use research to transform the student experience
- Inspire students to engage and improve their performance
- Use emerging technologies to transform learning, teaching and assessment
- Develop national and international partnerships for research and student mobility (e.g. Erasmus+)
- Generate results with significant theoretical and applicable implications
- Develop a research team to work on Recurrences and Optimization
Income generation and Research projects
1. URSS (Undergraduate Research Scholarship Scheme) - £2000/project
URSS 2017-041 Project: "On the geometry and applications of complex recurrent sequences"
Eve Hedderwick prepared a poster, attended TREPAM’17, co-authored a paper with me (published in ENDM) and gave the VoT 2018.
URSS 2018-054 Project: "Automatic Design and Correction of Ceramic Colours"
Manzal and Chandni Mohammad visited UAB Alba Iulia between July-September 2018 as Erasmus training students.
URSS 2018-073 Project: "Water Management and Renewable Energy for Sustainable Agriculture Under Climate Change" (with T. Wilmshurst)
Navraj Ghataure studied the potential of using renewable energy by 6 farms in Kenya during the summer of 2018.
2. PN-III-P2-2.1-PED-2016-1835: Computational Models for the reproduction of ceramic colors (co-investigator, 103K Euros) (August 2017)
3. DANCOP (with Outreach, School Liaison): £9420 (March 2018)
4. OCIS (On-Line Campus Internship Scheme): 120 posts for three students (March 2018)
Invited lectures and seminars
- 21 Jan 2019: CNAS College, Brasov, Romania: "Mathematics, poetry in symbols: Infinity, Fractals and Recurrences"
- 16 Jan 2019: HCC Alba Iulia College, Romania: "Mathematical incursions: Ideas, theory practice" (a similar talk was given on 17.01 to the Economic College)
- 7 June 2018: UBB Cluj, Romania, Faculty of Mathematics: 1. Complex Analysis Research Seminar (30 min): "On cyclotomic polynomial coefficients"; 2. Analysis and Optimization Research Seminar (60 min): “Traffic Assignment Problem: Methods and Simulations”
- 15 March 2018: Edge Hill University (talk: Traffic Assignment Problem: On the interplay between Optimization and Equilibrium Problems)
- 13 February 2018: International Schoool of Bucharest (talk: Problem Solving: The mathematical key to securing a job)
- 23 May 2017: Optimum versus equilibrium solutions in traffic flow management, MOS UBB Cluj (Research centre for Modelling, Optimization and Simulation)
- 12-13 October 2017: Kishinev State University, Moldova (Complex recurrent sequences: Techniques, Patterns and Conjectures) (+Prometeu Prim High School talk)
- 20-22 February 2017: ICMMCMSE'17, Alagappa University, India (Keynote)
- 12 December 2015: IMA East Midlands branch talk: "Mathematics of beauty: On infinity, fractals and recurrent sequences", Nottingham Trent University
- 2 April 2015: UBB Cluj, Romania, Faculty of Mathematics: 1. Mechanics and Astronomy Research Seminar (30 min): "The role of lubrication in cell adhesion: deterministic results and simulations for a simplified theoretical cell model"; 2. Complex Analysis Research Seminar (30 min): "On the geometric patterns produced by Horadam sequences in the complex plane"; 3. Analysis and Optimization Research Seminar (60 min): Extremal properties of generalized convex vector-valued functions
- 7 March 2015: Early Career Mathematicians' Spring Conference, University of Sheffield: How to be happy while solving (other people's) problems
- 20 February 2015: TCS Research Group, Loughborough University: "Complex Horadam sequences: periodicity, enumeration and applications"
- 16 February 2015: Guest Lecture for Subjects in Computer Science, University of Derby: "On the Visualisation of Number Sequences"
- 22 August 2014: Hanbat National University, South Korea: "Mathematics of beauty: on recurrences and emotions"
- 30 May 2014: UBB Cluj, Romania, Faculty of Mathematics, Interdisciplinary seminar: "On the Mathematics of beauty"
- 29 May 2014: UBB Cluj, Romania, Faculty of Mathematics, "On some properties and applications of Horadam sequences"
- 29 October 2013: Open University Mathematics Seminar, "The geometric patterns of complex Horadam sequences"
- 26 April 2013: SSMI, "Applied Mathematics: from life to formulas"
Conference presentations and posters
- 31 January 2019: HEA STEM 2019 Conference, Talk: "Improving numeracy skills through technology: Three pilot projects by the University of Derby and Vretta"
- 4-7 November 2018: Informs’18 Annual Meeting, Phoenix, AZ (oral presentation) Journal of Global Optimization Informs Issue Highlights: Unifying Local-global Type Properties in Vector Optimizatio
- 14-15 September 2018: 2nd IMA TCDM (co-chair) (talk:"On new arithmetic triangles arising from inverses of analytic functions")
- 27 June-1 July 2018: ICVANO, Martin Luther University, Halle (oral presentation on transportation modelling)
- 16-20 December 2017: Fourth Conference on Optimization Methods and Software (talk: Transportation management: On the interplay between Optimization and Equilibrium problems) (with N. Popovici and S. Berry), Cuba
- 25-28 September 2017: FGI 2017 (talk: Transportation management: methods and algorithms for solution) (with N. Popovici and S. Berry), Padeborn, Germany
- 31 July-4 August 2017: TREPAM'17 (talk: On the ratios and geometric boundaries of complex Horadam sequences and their generalizations), UAB, Romania
- 24-28 July 2017: 23rd ICDEA (talk: On the dynamical properties of certain complex recurrent sequences), Timisoara, Romania
- 4-6 April 2017: New results and conjectures on 2-partitions of multisets, 7th ICSMAO (UAE)
- 25-29 August 2016: XIIIth Colloq Fr-Ro (talk: Extremal properties of explicitly quasiconvex vector functions)
- 19-22 May 2016: XXth SSMR (talk: On the geometry of linear recurrences in the complex plane)
- 22-23 March 2016: First TCDM (talk:"On the number of tuples with the same lcm")
- 17-20 September 2015: ICTAMI 2015, (Talk: "On Arithmetic Functions and Integer Tuples with the Same LCM")
- 6-10 July 2015: 25th BCC (Talk: "Enumeration of periodic Horadam sequences")
- 13-21 August 2014: ICM 2014, Seoul, Korea, On the enumeration of periodic generalized Horadam sequences (talk)
- 6-11 August 2014: ANTS XI, Korea, On certain computational and geometric properties of Horadam orbits (poster)
- 26-28 March 2014: UKSim2014, Cambridge, UK (Talk, Session Chair)
- 1-5 July 2013: 24th BCC (Talk: "Enumeration of periodic Horadam sequences")
- 1-7 July 2010: ESOF 2010 (European Science Open Forum), Italy (poster)
Invited speakers (selection):
- 10.2013 Dr Daniel Porumbel (Lille, France): “Upper and Lower Bounds for Capacitated Arc Routing”
- 02.2015 Colm Mulcahy (Professor of Mathematics, US): “Mathemagic with a deck of cards”
- 10.2015 Ashley Buckner (Senior OR Analyst, GORS): “From Electrons to the Unemployed: A (Rather) Random Walk through Maths, Statistics and Modelling
- 03.2016 Dr. Ioan Lucian Popa (UAB Alba Iulia, Romania): Dynamical Systems: A state-of-the-art survey
- 09.2017 Valeriu Anisiu (Professor UBB Cluj Napoca, Romania): Solving difficult mathematical problems with Computer Algebra Systems (focus on Maple)
- 11.2017 Nicolae Popovici (Professor, UBB cluj): New algorithms for solving discrete vector optimization problems
- 09.2018 Preda Mihailescu (Professor, Gottingen): “With Mathematics on the road”(Public lecture)
Experience in industry
2014: Bosch Thermotechnology (VSM - Value Stream Mapping)
2017: IPEC Alba Iulia (Ceramics coloring project)
2017: UPN (Logistics, Maths Group Proect at University of Derby)
2018: Maple (Mathematical Education Software – now deployed at University of Derby for developing E-Assessment in Maths)
- This product allows the testing of advanced mathematics, offering step-by-step solutions and automatic marks.
2018: Vretta – Numeracy skills platform. 3 Pilot projects deployed at University of Derby starting from September 2018.
- We have worked through Summer 2018 to implement the system on the University of Derby network and then designed the Advanced Numeracy Skills certificate (4CC503 Computational Maths and 3EJ502 Preliminary Mathematics) and Essential Numeracy Skills certificate (for Careers Futures Awards), to be granted by University of Derby and Vretta.
New Erasmus+ links:
1. Babes-Bolyai University, Cluj Napoca, Romania (Mathematics and Computer Science): Erasmus+@UBB (Dec 2014, Lead Dr. Ovidiu Bagdasar)
2. "1 DECEMBRIE 1918" University, Romania (Computer Science, Mathematics, Business): Erasmus+@UAB (Dec 2014, Lead Dr. Ovidiu Bagdasar)
3. Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey (Mathematics): Erasmus+@Bogazici (Nov 2015, Lead Dr. Ovidiu Bagdasar)
4. University of Maribor, Slovenia (Mathematics): Erasmus+@Maribor (Dec 2015, Lead Dr. Ovidiu Bagdasar)
5. Universidade da Beira Interior, Portugal (Computer Science and Mathematics) Erasmus+@UBI (Jul 2017, Lead Dr. Virginia Franquerra)
6. University of Catania, Italy (Mathematics and Statistics, ICT) Erasmus+@Catania (Mar 2018, Lead Prof. Antonio Liotta)
7. University of Calabria, Italy (Mathematics and Statistics, ICT) Erasmus+@Calabria (Mar 2018, Lead Prof. Antonio Liotta)
- March 2015: UAB Romania, Alba Iulia, Romania
- May 2015: UBB Cluj, Romania
- January 2016: UAB Romania, Alba Iulia, Romania (visited first Erasmus+ Maths student from Derby)
- May 2016: UBB Cluj, Romania
- January 2017: UBB Cluj, Romania
- May 2017: UAB Alba Iulia, Romania
- January 2018: UAB Alba Iulia, Romania
- May 2018: UBB Cluj, Romania
- October 2018: Nevsehir University, Turkey
- January 2019: UAB Alba Iulia, Romania
- May 2015 - Professor Nicolae Popovici - UBB Cluj, Romania
- March 2016 - Dr Ioan Lucian Popa, UAB Alba Iulia, Romania
- May 2016 - Professor Nicolae Popovici - UBB Cluj Romania
- June 2016 - Dr Zalan Bodo - UBB Cluj Romania
- March 2017 - Dr Ioan Lucian Popa, UAB Alba Iulia, Romania
- May 2017 - Professor Nicolae Popovici - UBB Cluj Romania
- Sept 2017 - Professor Valeriu Anisiu - UBB Cluj Romania
- May 2018 - Professor Nicolae Popovici - UBB Cluj Romania
- Sept 2018 - Dr Ioan Lucian Popa, UAB Alba Iulia, Romania
Erasmus PhD students:
- Sept 2017-Jan 2018: Imre Szigmond (PhD student, UBB Cluj, Romania) Project: Gamification within Higher Education
- July 2017-Sept 2018: Elif Tekin (PhD student, Belikeshir, Turkey) Project: Water Treatment Optimization
- September 2016: Research visit to UAB and IPEC Alba Iulia, RO
- February 2017: Research visit to the Ramanujan Centre for Higher Mathematics, Alagappa University, India
- November 2017: Research visit to IPEC Alba Iulia as part of the Research Project CMRCC
- ICTAMI'15, UAB - Romania
- 1st TCDM'16, University of Derby, UK
- ICMMCMSE'17, Alagappa University, India (proceedings editor)
- TREPAM'17, UAB University, Romania (organising committee)
- 2nd TCDM'18, University of Derby, UK (co-chair)
- UoD Workshop on “Current issues in the Mathematical Education” (11 April 2018)
- UoD Workshop on "Effective Mathematical Education: Improving accessibility, reducing anxiety” (5 December 2018)
- V. Lowndes, O. B., S. Berry: Chapter 6 "Case Studies: Using Heuristics" in Guide to Computational Modelling for Decision Processes: Theory, Algorithms, Techniques and Applications (Springer, 2017)
- O. B., N. Popovici, S. Berry: Sect. 7.3 "Transportation management: methods and algorithms" in Guide to Computational Modelling for Decision Processes: Theory, Algorithms, Techniques and Applications (Springer, 2017)
- O. B., Concise Computer Mathematics: Tutorials on Theory and Problems, Springer Briefs in Computer Science, 2013.
- Pratap, R. Raja, C. Sowmiya, O. Bagdasar, J. Cao, G. Rajchakit, Global projective lag synchronization of fractional order memristor based BAM neural networks with mixed time varying delays, Asian Journal of Control (2018) [Impact Factor: 1.528]
- Pratap, R. Raja, G. Rajchakit, J. Cao, O. Bagdasar,Mittag-Leffler state estimator design and synchronization analysis for fractional order BAM neural networks with time delays, Int J Adapt Control and Sig Proc [Impact Factor: 2.082]
- Andrica, O. Bagdasar, Some remarks on a general family of complex polynomials, Applicable Analysis and Discrete Mathematics [IF: 0.887] (accepted, Dec 2018)
- I-L. Popa, T. Ceausu, Bagdasar, Ravi P. Agarwal, Characterizations of generalized exponential trichotomies for linear discrete-time systems (Analele Stiintifice ale Universitatii Ovidius Constanta) (2018) [IF: 0.452] (accepted, to appear 2019)
- Andrica, O. Bagdasar, On some results concerning the polygonal polynomials, Carpathian J of Math 12pp (in press) [IF: 0.788]
- Andrica, O. Bagdasar, On cyclotomic polynomial coefficients, Malaysian Journal of Mathematics 12pp (in press)
- T. E. Hunt, O. Bagdasar, D. Sheffield, M.B. Schofield: Assessing domain specificity in the measurement of mathematics calculation anxiety, Education Research International
- Bagdasar, S. Berry, S. O’Neill, N. Popovici, R. Ramachandran: Traffic Assignment: Methods and Simulations for an Alternative Formulation of the Fixed Demand Problem, Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (2019) [IF: 1.476]
- Andrica, O. Bagdasar, Some remarks on 3-partitions of multisets”, Proc. of 2nd IMA TCDM’18, Electronic Notes in Discrete Math, Elsevier 70 (2018), 1-8.
- Bagdasar, R.-J. Tatt, On some new arithmetic functions involving prime divisors and perfect powers, Proc. of 2nd IMA TCDM’18, Electronic Notes in Discrete Math, Elsevier 70 (2018), 9-15.
- G. Bagdasaryan, O. Bagdasar, On an arithmetic triangle of numbers arising from inverses of analytic functions, Proc. of 2nd IMA TCDM’18, Electronic Notes in Discrete Math, Elsevier 70 (2018), 17-24.
- Pratap, R. Raja, C. Sowmiya, O. Bagdasar, J. Cao, G. Rajchakit, Robust generalized Mittag-Leffler synchronization of fractional order neural networks with discontinuous activation and impulses, Neural Networks (2018) [Impact Factor: 7.197]
- Bagdasar, N. Popovici: Unifying local-globaltype properties in vector optimization, Journal of Global Optimization (2018) [IF: 1.728]
- A. Pratap, R. Raja, C. Sowmiya, O. B., J. Cao, G. Rajchakit, Robust generalized Mittag-Leffler synchronization of fractional order neural networks with discontinuous activation and impulses, Neural Networks (accepted 2018)
- O. B., N. Popovici: Unifying local-global type properties in vector optimization, Journal of Global Optimization (accepted 2018)
- O. B., N. Popovici: Extremal properties of generalized convex vector functions, J Nonlinear Convex Analysis, Vol. 18 (12) (2017)
- O. B., P.J. Larcombe, On the masked periodicity of Horadam sequences: A generator-based approach, Fibonacci Quart. (2017)
- O. B., I-L. Popa, On the periodicity of certain non-homogeneous complex linear recurrences, Electron. Notes Discrete Math, Vol. 56, 7-13 (2016)
- I-L. Popa, T. Ceausu, O. B., Characterizations of generalized exponential trichotomies for linear discrete-time systems, Electron. Notes Discrete Math, Vol. 56, 65-70 (2016)
- O. B., P.J. Larcombe and, A. Anjum, On the structure of periodic complex Horadam sequences, Carpathian J Math, (2016)
- O. B., N. Popovici, Local maximum points of explicitly quasiconvex functions, Optimization Letters, Vol. 9(4), 769-777 (2015)
- O. B., On some functions involving the lcm and gcd of integer tuples, Appl Math Inform and Mech, Vol 6(2), 91-100 (2014)
- O. B. and P.J. Larcombe, On the characterization of periodic Horadam sequences, J Differ Equ App, 1069-1090 (2014)
- P.J. Larcombe, O. B., and E.J. Fennessey, On a Result of Bunder Involving Horadam Sequences: A New Proof, Fibonacci Quart, Vol. 52(2), 175-177 (2014)
- O. B. and P.J. Larcombe, On the number of complex Horadam sequences with a fixed period, Fibonacci Quart, Vol. 51(4), 339-347 (2013)
- O. B., P.J. Larcombe, A. Anjum, Particular orbits of periodic Horadam sequences, Octogon Math Mag, 21 (1) (2013)
- P.J. Larcombe, O. B., and E.J. Fennessey, On a Result of Bunder Involving Horadam Sequences: A Proof And Generalization, Fibonacci Quart, Vol. 51(2), 174-176 (2013)
- O. B. and P.J. Larcombe, On the characterization of periodic Horadam sequences, Fibonacci Quart, Vol. 51(1), 28-37 (2013)
- P.J. Larcombe, O. B., and E.J. Fennessey, Horadam Sequences: A Survey, Bulletin of the ICA, 67 (2013)
- O. B., M. Bencze, J.L. Díaz-Barrero, Blind men and the Hypercubes, Missouri J Math Sci, 23 (1), 19-26 (2011)
- O. B., Complementary inequalities involving the Stolarsky mean, J Inequal Appl, Vol. 2010, Art. No. 492570, 10pp (2010)
- O. B., D. Valcan, Generalizations of some divisibility relations in N, Creat Math Inform, 18, 92-99 (2009)
- O. B., Inequalities for chains of normalized sums, JIPAM, 9, 7pp (2008).
- O. B., The Extension Of a Cyclic Inequality to the Symmetric Form, JIPAM, 9, 10pp (2008).
- D. Andrica, O.B., New results and conjectures on 2-partitions of multisets, 7th ICSMAO (UAE) (2017)
- O.B., A. Birlutiu, M. Chen and I-L Popa, Qualitative Case Study Methodology: Automatic Design and Correction of Ceramic Colors, 21st ICSTCC, Romania (2017)
- O. B. and M. Chen, A Horadam-based Pseudo-random number generator, Proceeding of UKSim-AMSS 16th (2014).
- M. Trovati and O. B., Influence Discovery in Semantic Networks: An Initial Approach, Proceeding of UKSim-AMSS 16th (2014).
- O. B., Using Computer Tests to Teach Mathematics - A Study Case, 4th International Symposium "Mathematical Education in the Current European Context", Romania (2013).
- O. B., The Number of Pairs of Integers with the Same lcm, 3rd International Symposium "Mathematical Education in the Current European Context", Romania (2012).
Open Questions and Symposium papers:
- M. Stubley, O.B., On the role of Open Questions in the Mathematical Education, 7th International Symposium "Mathematical Education in the Current European Context", December 16th, Romania (2016)
- G. Illsley, O.B., Understanding the fear of mathematics: Recipes for students and teachers, 8th International Symposium "Mathematical Education in the Current European Context", December 16th, Romania (2017).
- O.B. and M. Stubley, On OQ.3184, Octogon Math. Mag, 24 (2) (2016)
- O.B. and M. Stubley, On OQ.4595 and OQ.4537, Octogon Math. Mag, 25 (1) (2017)
- O.B., A. Birnie, C. Pissarides and A. Ahmad, On OQ.3166 and OQ.3484 in Octogon Math. Mag, 24 (2) (2016)
- O.B., A. Birnie, C. Pissarides and A. Ahmad, On OQ.3928, On OQ.4259, On OQ.4537 in Octogon Math. Mag, 25 (1) (2017)
- O.B., R. Connis and A. Baker: On OQ.4836 and OQ.4837 in Octogon Math. Mag, 25 (1) (2017)