Ms Nicola Taylor
Position: Programme Leader and Lecturer in Outdoor Leadership and Coaching
College: College of Arts, Humanities and Education
Subject area: Outdoor Recreation
I currently teach across the undergraduate outdoor adventure degree programmes; I currently lead the following modules: Outdoor Experiential Education; Applied Adventure Sports Coaching; Philosophical Perspectives in Outdoor and Adventure; Practical Development in Climbing and Landbased Activities.
I am currently involved in research that explores the experiences of novice outdoor leaders within a 'real world' working environment at Oaklands Manor Outdoor Leadership Centre. Within the coaching environment I am currently involved with a research project that analyses the development of footwork from novice to expert climbers.
- The development of effective outdoor leaders
- Meaningful outdoor experiences and adventure education
- Holistic approaches to outdoor learning
- Philosophy of adventure
- Adventure sports coaching: pedagogy and practice.
- IOL (Institute of Outdoor Learning)
- Full AMI membership (Association of Mountain Instructors)
- BMC (British Mountaineering Council)
- Mountain Training.
- BA (Hons) Sport and Human Movement, University of Wales, Institute Cardiff.
- Post Graduate Certificate in Education, University of Wales College Newport
- MA Outdoor Education, University of Wales, Trinity Saint David.
- Taylor, N. (2009) Action Research in Outdoor Environment Experiences. The European Institute of Outdoor Adventure Education and Experiential Learning Conference. Trinity College St Davids, University of Wales.
- The European Institute of Outdoor Adventure Education and Experiential Learning Conference 2009. Action Research in Outdoor Environment Experiences.
All facets of climbing but presently mostly traditional, sport and bouldering in the UK and overseas. Away from the rocks I often enjoy a gruelling run through the Peak District dales or moors.
Current Activities / Links with Industry
Currently working with the BMC to co-ordinate the delivery of FUNdamentals climbing movement courses to current students.
- Experienced 10 years of delivering outdoor vocational qualifications to potential outdoor leaders, working with the local schools and special needs groups as the main client base.
- Experience as a freelance Mountain Instructor teaching climbing, mountaineering and movement skills.
Extensive experience of climbing in various world class destinations; from granite big walls of North America to uninhabited islands of the Outer Hebrides. I currently organise an annual international climbing camp for students in the world class sport climbing destination of Kalymnos.