I qualified as a Careers Adviser in 1996. During my 12 years in practice, I worked with a range of disadvantaged groups including young people with SEND, the traveller community, and those from minority ethnic backgrounds offering both in depth and ongoing support and coaching. During my time as an operational team leader I had responsibility for supporting and mentoring career development practitioners in their practice and ensuring quality in the delivery of front line guidance services.
During my time in practice I developed an interest in how young people learn the knowledge, skills and attitudes to make and implement career decisions. This led to an interest in the quality standards in career guidance and I became the regional development manager for Career Mark, the East Midlands quality award for careers education and guidance. At this time I also became the Chair of the Institute of Career Guidance Careers Education Committee.
I was an Associate at International Centre for Guidance Studies (iCeGS) at the University of Derby before joining the Centre as a full time member of staff in July 2009, first as Senior Researcher and more recently as Senior Lecturer. I now lead the Continuing Professional Development Strategy for iCeGS.
I have wide ranging research interests and extensive experience in research project management and implementation.
I am also an external examiner for the QCG programme at Coventry University.
I am the Programme Leader for the MA in Careers Education and Coaching and lead a number of small accredited and non-accredited programmes in career development and professional practice.
Membership of professional bodies
I am a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, a NICEC Fellow and a Legacy Fellow of the Career Development Institute (CDI). I am also a member of the CDI Board where I lead on the sector's digital strategy.
CDI National conference (November 2017). Keynote on the digital strategy and workshops on digital skills and evaluating school and college careers programmes.
CDI student conference (March 2018). Key note on the digital strategy.
iCeGS International Conference (May 2018). Workshoop on digital skills for career development in Europe.
National conference on Careers Education and Learning (July 2018). Conference facilitator and workshop provider - evaluating school and college careers programmes.
I have wide ranging International experience. I have worked on a number of Erasmus and Leonardo projects. This has included:
- The development of a manual for career guidance practitioners across Europe
- Research and product development to support careers leaders in Europe
- The development and application of 'three scene storyboarding' in European context
In addition to this I have undertaken research and consultancy work including:
- Work for the Croatian Employment Services to develop 7 pilot Lifelong Guidance Centres
- Work for Tribal Education Services to reverie the delivery of National Identity Teaching in schools in Abu Dhabi
- Work for the Kosovo Ministry of Education to undertake a training needs analysis of the ICT and e-learning capacity in the Kosovo education system
- Research in the United Arab Emirates on approaches to delivering national identity teaching and learning