Nicki qualified as a Careers Adviser in 1996. During her 12 years with Derbyshire Careers and then Connexions service, Nicki worked with a range of disadvantaged groups including young people with learning difficulties and disabilities, the traveller community, and those from minority ethnic backgrounds offering both in depth and ongoing support and coaching. During her time with Connexions she worked as an operational team leader with responsibility for supporting and mentoring careers and personal advisers in their practice and ensuring quality in the delivery of front line guidance services. Nicki was an Associate at International Centre for Guidance Studies at the University of Derby before joining the Centre as a full time member of staff in July 2009 where she held the post of Senior Researcher and Lecturer in Career Development. She has wide ranging research interests and extensive experience in research project management and implementation.
Nicki is an external examiner for the QCG programme at Coventry University.
- The career development of children and young people
- Career and social capital
- The quality assurance of career development
- Equality implications for career development
- Widening participation
- Progression planning
- Personal and social development
- Careers in engineering and the built environment
- Social pedagogy
- Communities of practice
Nicki's current research projects include:
- Project managing the Postgraduate Support Scheme in Innovative Engineering Solutions for the University of Derby
- Providing Consultancy support to the Ministry of Education in Kosovo on the ICT capacity in the Kosovo Education System
- Working with the National House Builders Council to develop their careers strategy
- Developing a community of practice for iCould
Membership of professional bodies
Nicki is a Fellow of the Career Development Institute and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
University Of Leeds
Degree 2:1 BSc Honours – Geography
Nottingham Trent University
Diploma in Careers Guidance
ICG Special Needs Qualification
Nottingham Trent University
Diploma in Career Education
Training and Development Units D32/D33
Career Mark Assessor Training
University Of Huddersfield
Diploma for Personal Advisers
University of Derby
Master of Arts: Education
May 2014: Upskilling the Nation and Building our Economy. Scottish Apprenticeships Conference. Key Note Speech- Career guidance and employers: making the skill connection
June 2014: It's a Childs World. Aberystwyth University. Workshop delivery.
September 2014: Widening the Future: European Conference on Careers Education in primary Education. Key Note Speech - Careers and work-related education at school.
November 2014: ARK Schools Careers conference: Key Note Speech - Good Career Guidance
December 2nd 2014: Careers Setting the Trend conference for Careers South West. . Key Note Speech
February 2015: Future Ready Conference: Schools North East. Key Note Speech: Early careers education: getting it right in primary schools
Nicki has a wide ranging International profile. She has worked on a number of Erasmus and leonardo projects. Further to this Nicki has undertaken research and consultancy work including:
- Work for the Croatian Employment Services to develop 7 pilot Lifelong Guidance Centres
- Work for Tribal Education Services to reviree the delivery of National Identity Teaching in schools in Abu Dhabi
- Work for the Kosovo Ministry of Education to undertake a training needs analysis of the ICT and e-learning capacity in the Kosovo education system.