Mr Michael Jackson
Position: Senior Lecturer in ITE
College: College of Arts, Humanities and Education
Department: Education and Childhood
Subject area: Becoming a Teacher
Senior Lecturer in ITE
- Programme Leader School Direct Secondary (PGCE)
- Delivery of Sessions on PMFL for BEd, PGCE, MA Ed
I am programme leader for the School Direct Secondary PGCE. This involves working with a number of schools organising the timetable for the trainees. I teach most of the modules on this programme such as Effective Teaching 1 and 2 and Reflective teaching 1 and 2 along with the level 7 modules. I have also taught on the BEd 4 programme and the BED1 Primary Languages module.
- Programme leader for GTP Secondary - 2012 -2013
- Stage three tutor and progression tutor in CYPS (Children’s and Young People’s Services)
- Module leader for PGCE Primary French - 2003 -2010
- Pathway Leader for Teaching Assistants on FD CYPS - 2007 to 2012
- Programme Leader for FDTA - 2005-2007
- Module leader for Comparative Education in Education Studies on BEd - 2005-2007
- Module leader for PGCE Secondary Spanish - 2003-2005
My professional interests stem from having taught Spanish and French in Secondary schools for 21 years. My experience in this field has been used with the current drive to bring languages into the primary school. I completed my Masters Degree with a survey of PMFL teaching in the city of Derby.
My previous work with teaching assistants has given me an interest in this area too. I delivered 3 CPD sessions for Derbyshire Teaching assistants in Dec 2013 at Chesterfield and have done other sessions in a number of local Derbyshire Primary schools.
I am an External Examiner for St Marys University College London for Education in Context from 2011 to 2015. I am now an external Examiner for Leeds Trinity SCITT in their School Direct Secondary course.
I have been a governor at Ravensdale Junior school in derby for 16 years which has given me an inavuable insight into primary education.
- Member of CYPS Research Team within Education Studies on the impact of Every Child Matters in schools
- Master’s degree on Provision of Primary Languages in Derby
- Incorporating HLTA standards into the FD CYPS
- Collaboration with Derby College on Lesson study Project (EMFEC)
- I am currently setting up a website for Modern Languages Teaching for all sturdents to access, I have sent this Secondary schools too.
Derby City Governors body
Routes into Languages
Member of the Association for Language Learning
9 GCSE/'O' levels, 3 A levels, BA Modern Language studies, PGCE, MA Education, FHEA.
- Contribution of chapter on Modern languages in ‘Empowering Children’s and Young People’s Workforce’ (Routledge- ISBN-13: 978-0415517409) edited by Dr. Simon Brownhill.
- The Future of the primary and the EYFS curriculum - Westminster EducationForum
- The National Curriculum Review - Westminster Education Forum
- OFSTED and ITE - Birmingham
- Safeguarding Children and Young people - Derby
- The Priorities for MFL Teaching - Westminster Education Forum
- The Future OF Modern Foreign Languages - Westminster Education Forum
I enjoy cycling and walking in Derbyshire.
I have three children and am married to a Secondary school German Teacher who also reminds me of the real life in schools, an aspect I hope I reflect in the PGCE SD secondary.
21 years working in Secondary schools in Derbyshire teaching Languages.
Module Leader for PGCE Primary French which involved sending a group of our Primary PGCE trainees to France Corsica) and receiving French students back. These were for 4 week placements in french schools and involved spending a week there to monitor their progress.
I worked as a languages Assistant in two schools in Le Touquet, France