My current teaching responsibilities include the supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate research projects as well as making contributions to several undergraduate modules in the areas of exercise physiology, physical activity and health and applied sports practices. I also currently supervise ten PhD students that are related to several externally funded projects in the area of respiratory physiology and innovative technologies.
I have also used my experience and accreditation as a clinical exercise physiologist in the leadership and development of the new clinical exercise science MSc.
My main professional interests are centred mainly on understanding recovery and the impact of reduced respiratory function has upon patient quality of life, with a focus on developing bespoke approaches to improve patient outcomes.
Experience in industry
I currently lead and have established a number of projects with industrial partners which includes being awarded funding for two projects via the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) for productivity through innovation awards with SoeHealth and Footfalls & Heartbeats.
I also work with several UK and European partners on projects related to respiratory muscle training.
I have a strong international profile through my work with the Healthy Living for Pandemic Event Protection (HL-Pivot) network and the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and membership of the Exercise is Medicine Committee. I also hold visiting researcher status at the University of Illinois Chicago, USA.
These roles have led to international keynote presentations at national and international events.
Additional interests and activities
Parliamentary and Government Contributions:
- Smith, A., Akubat, I., Broom, D., Gledhill, A., Faghy, M, A., Maxwell, N., de Oliveira, R., Knowles, Z., Ross, M., (2021) BASES Evidence to the DCMS sport select committee on major cultural and sporting events. Published 22 June 2021.https://committees.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/35621/html/
- Smith, A., de Oliveira, R., Faghy, M, A., M., Maxwell, N., (2021)., How can we lead more active lifestyles? NPS0035 - National Plan for Sport and Recreation, House of Lords Committee call for evidence. https://committees.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/21797/html/
- Bunn, S., (2020)., Mental health impacts of COVID 19 on NHS staff. Research Briefing. https://post.parliament.uk/research-briefings/post-pn-0634/ Acknowledged as an official contributor
- Smith, A., de Oliveira, R., Faghy, M, A., M., Maxwell, N., (2020)., Sport in our communities BASES evidence to the House of Commons Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee. https://committees.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/21797/html/
Expert Acknowledgements/Media Contributions:
- 2020 - Expert Contribution to UK Parliament’s Covid-19 outbreak response. https://post.parliament.uk/horizon-scanning/expert-aknowledgements/
- 2020 - Expert Witness Report for Her Majesties Coroners Court for Derby and Derbyshire.
- Faghy, M, A., (2020)., Science Council, Showcasing Science Article: Post COVID-19 Recovery – Looking to Sport Science https://sciencecouncil.org/showcasing-science-post-covid-19-recovery-looking-to-sport-science/
- Faghy, M, A., (2020)., Aiding the fightback to lung health (Online Blog). Posted on April 6 2020
- Realising a nation’s footballing dreams using sport science (Online Blog). Posted on June 15 2019
- Traditional training methods vs newer methods (Online Blog). Posted on 7 May 2018
- Should you wear a mask during training? Restricted airflow's all the rage. MH tries training like Bane. Published in Men's Health, Posted on 27 June 2016, http://www.menshealth.co.uk/fitness/should-you-wear-a-mask-during-training
- Is English football hurting the Premier League and putting players at risk? Published in ESPN, Posted on 26 Jan 2016, http://www.espn.co.uk/football/barclays-premier-league/23/blog/post/2794056/premier-league-fixture-congestion-set-to-continue
Governing Body Papers and Position Stands:
- Arena, R., Myers, J., Kaminsky, L, A., Williams, M., Sabbahi, A., Popovic, D., Axtell, R., Faghy, M, A., , A, P., Lizett, S., Olivares, O., Lopez, M., Pronk, N., Laddu, D., Babu, A, S., Josephson, R., Whitsel, L, P., Severin, R., Christle, J, W., Dourado, V., Niebauer, J., Savage, P., Austford, L, D., Lavie, C, J., (2021), Current Activities Centered on Healthy Living and Recommendations for the Future: A Position Statement from the HL-PIVOT Network., Current Problems in Cardiology.,IF: 2.966
- Smith, A., de Oliveira, R., Faghy, M, A,, M., Maxwell, N., (2020)., Reopening of Sport and Exercise Science Departments in Higher Education after lockdown’. BASES Position Stand
- Smith, A., de Oliveira, R., Faghy, M, A.,, M., Maxwell, N., (2020)., The BASES Position Stand on the ‘Reopening’ of Sport and Exercise Science Departments in Higher Education After Lockdown
For a full list of publications and works please see:
Most Recent Publications:
- Faghy, M, A., Owen, R., Thomas, C., Yates, J., Ferraro, FV., Skipper, L., Barley McMullen, Brown, D., Arena, R., Ashton, REM., (2022), Is Long COVID the next global health crisis? Journal of Global Health. IF: 7.664. DOI: 7189/jogh.12.03067
- Alghamdi, F., Owen, R., Ashton, REM., Obotiba, A, D., Meertens, RM., Hyde, E., Faghy, M, A., Rogers, P., Knapp, K., Strain, D., (2022), Post-Acute COVID syndrome (Long COVID): What should Radiographers know and the potential impact imaging services. Radiography IF: 1.98, DOI: 1016/j.radi.2022.08.009
- Davis, N., Pringle, A., Kay, AD., Blazevich, AJ, Teskey, D., Faghy, MA., Mina, M., (2022), Feasibility, Psychosocial Effects, Influence, and Perception of Elastic Band Resistance Balance Training in Older Adults, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health., 19(17)., IF: 4.614 DOI: 3390/ijerph191710907
- Conners, R., Whitehead, P., Skarp, T., Waller, B., Richard, M., Bain, C., Monks, M., Faghy, M, A., (2022), Acute Effects of Facial Coverings on Anaerobic Exercise Performance in College-Aged Adults., International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, IF: 4.614 DOI: org/10.3390/ijerph191710500
- Severin, R., Franz, C, K., Farr, E., Meirelles, C., Area, R., Phillips, S., Bond, S., Ferraro, F., Faghy, M, A., (2022)., The effects of COVID-19 on Respiratory Muscle Performance: Making the case for Respiratory Muscle Testing and Training., European Respiratory Review., IF: 9.553 DOI: 1183/16000617.0006-2022
- Faghy, M, A., Arena, R., Babu, A, S., Christle, J, W., Marzolini, S., Popovic, D., Vermeesch, A., Pronk, N, P., Stoner, L., Smith, A., on behalf of the HL-PIVOT Network (2022)., Post Pandemic Research Priorities: A Consensus Statement from the HL-PIVOT., Progress in Cardiovascular Disease. IF: 8.194. DOI: org/10.1016/j.pcad.2022.07.001
- Jayasinghe, S., Faghy, M, A., Hills, A, P., (2022)., Social justice equity in healthy living medicine - an international perspective, Progress in Cardiovascular Disease. IF: 8.194. DOI: org/10.1016/j.pcad.2022.04.008
- Faghy, M, A., Maden-Wilkinson, T, M., Arena, R., Copeland, R, J., Owen, R. Hodkins, H, M, J., Willmott, A, G, B., (2022)., COVID-19 patients require multi-disciplinary rehabilitation approaches to address persisting symptom profiles and restore pre-COVID quality of life. Expert Reviews in Respiratory Medicine, IF: 2.432 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/17476348.2022.2063843
- Popovic, D., Bjelobrk, M., Tesic, M., Seman, S., Jayasinghe, S., Hills, A., Babu, A., Jakovljevic, D., Stoner, L., Ozemek, C., Bond, S., Faghy, M, A., Pronk, N., Lavie, C., Josephson, R., Arena, R., (2022), Defining the importance of stress reduction in managing cardiovascular disease - the role of exercise., Progress in Cardiovascular Disease., IF: 8.194. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pcad.2022.01.008
- Ashton, R, E M., Ryan, D., Ansdell, P., Maden-Wilkinson, T., Hume, E., Faghy, M, A., (2022), COVID-19 and the long-term cardio-respiratory and metabolic health complications., Reviews in Cardiovascular Medicine., IF: 2.271, DOI: https://www.imrpress.com/journal/RCM/23/2/10.31083/j.rcm2302053
- Roscoe, CMP., Pringle, A., Chandler, C., Faghy, M, A., Barratt, B., (2022)., The Role of Physical Activity in Cancer Recovery: An Exercise Practitioner’s Perspective., International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health., IF: 3.390 DOI: https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/19/6/3600
- Pronk, N., Faghy, M, A., (2022)., Causal Systems Mapping to Promote Healthy Living for Pandemic Preparedness: A Call to Action for Global Public Health., International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity., IF: 6.714. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12966-022-01255-7
- Newbury, J, W., Foo, W, L., Cole, M., Kelly, A, L., Chessor, R, J., Sparks, A, S., Faghy, M, A., Gough, H., Gough, L., Nutritional intakes of highly trained adolescent swimmers before, during, and after a national lockdown in the COVID-19 pandemic, PloS One., IF: 3.24 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0266238
- Toon, N., McMaster, S., Outram, T., Faghy, M, A., (2022)., Assessing the Validity of a Kinematic Knee Sleeve in a Resistance-Trained Population., Engineering Proceedings, https://doi.org/10.3390/engproc2022015010
- Gough, L, A., Clarke, N., Kelly, A, L., Cole, M., Foo, W, L., Faghy, M, A., (2022)., No Independent or Synergistic Effects of Carbohydrate-Caffeine Mouth Rinse on Repeated Sprint Performance During Simulated Soccer Match Play in Male Recreational Soccer Players, Science and Medicine in Football, IF: 2.50. DOI: org/10.1080/24733938.2021.2021277
- Arena, R., Myers, J., Ozemek, C., Hall, G., Severin, R., Laddu, D., Kaminsky, L., Stoner, L., Conners, R., Faghy, M, A., (2022)., An Evolving Approach to Assessing Cardiorespiratory Fitness, Muscle Function and Bone/Joint Health in the COVID-19 Era., Current Problems in Cardiology. IF: 6.763. DOI: org/10.1016/j.cpcardiol.2021.100879
- Bates, L., Zieff, G., Conners, R., Keith, N., Stevens, S., Faghy, M, A., Arena, R., Stoner, L., (2022)., Physical activity and sedentary behaviour in people with spinal cord injury: Mitigation strategies during COVID-19 on behalf of ACSM-EIM and HL-PIVOT. Disability and Health Journal. IF: 2.554 DOI: org/10.1016/j.dhjo.2021.101177
- Parente, F., Hernandez, Y, A T ., Faghy, M, A., Roscoe, C, M, P., Maratos, F, A., (2021)., Influence of the COVID-19 lockdown on remote workers’ physical and psychosocial well-being and work productivity. JMIRx DOI:10.2196/34609
- Arena, R., Faghy, M, A., (2021)., Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing as a Vital Sign in Patients Recovering from COVID-19., Expert Review of Cardiovascular Therapy. DO:.1080/14779072.2021.1985466 IF: 2.23
- Gough, L., Sparks, A, S., McNaughton, L, R., Higgins, M, F., Newbury, J, W., Trexler, E., Faghy, M, A., Bridge, C, A., (2021)., A critical review of citrulline malate supplementation and exercise performance. European Journal of Applied Physiology. DOI: 1007/s00421-021-04774-6 IF: 3.467