Position: Senior Lecturer
College: College of Health and Social Care
Department: Therapeutic Practice
Subject area: Occupational Therapy
I lecture on a variety of modules in the BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy and MSc Pre registration Occupational Therapy programmes. My other roles include marketing of Occupational Therapy programmes at the university.
Mental Health, Recovery, Social Inclusion, Therapeutic Use of Leisure, Service User Involvement, Emerging Roles for OT, Boredom, Use of Virtual Learning Environments, Reflection, Communication and Self Awareness, Therapeutic Relationship.
Virtual Learning Environments, Boredom, Therapeutic Relationship
I'm an active member of COT, including its specialist section for Mental Health. I am an external examiner at another HEI, review journal articles for international rehabilitation publications, and review potential publications for a major healthcare publisher.
- BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy, Sheffield Hallam University
- PG Cert in Teaching and Learning, University of Derby
- MA in Education, University of Derby
- Threapleton, K., Newberry, K., Rowe, P. (2015) The application of Virtual Reality, OT News 23(8) pp 28 - 29
- Threapleton, K., Birks, E., Sutton, G. Rowe, P., Newberry, K., Drummond A., (2014) A qualitative study to explore the potential of developing a virtual environment to support discharge planning after stroke. International Journal Of Stroke 9, Issue Supplement 54 pp 47-48
- Newberry K (2010) Continuing professional development - time for a different experience? International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation, August 2010, Vol 17, No 8 pp 396-397.
- Threappleton, K., Birks, E., Smith, AE., Sutton, G., Rowe, p., Newberry, K., Drummond, A. (2015) Developing a virtual environment for discharge planning after stroke; a preliminary study. Proceedings of SSR, Clinical Rehabilitation (2015) 29(4) p411
- Newberry K, Rowe P, (2013) An evaluation of a Virtual Learning Environment home visit simulation in preregistration occupational therapy education (Paper at COHEHRE Kuopio Conference, Finland 2013
- Rowe P, Newberry K (2012) Second Life Virtual Learning Environment to Develop Pre registration students clinical skills. (International Forum on Quality And Safety In Healthcare, Paris 2012)
- Rowe P, Newberry K (2012) Development of clinical reasoning via virtual learning environments (Poster for COT Conference 2012)
- Newberry K (2011) Boomers, xers and nexers; generational theories, leadership and the multi disciplinary team. (COT National Conference 2011)
- Smith H, Rowe P, Newberry K (2011) Box and Buddy - a learning tool for reflection on self. (Learning Teaching and Assessment Conference Buxton 2011).
In my spare time I enjoy DIY, yoga and walking in the Peak District. I also volunteer at The Grand Pavilion, Matlock Bath.
I have significant experience working in a wide variety of mental health settings, particularly with clients that are difficult to engage. I continue to maintain active links with a variety of professionals including occupational therapists within this setting.