Dr Iride Azara
Position: Lecturer in Tourism, Events and Spa
College: College of Business, Law and Social Sciences
Department: Hotel, Resort and Spa Management
Subject area: Travel and Tourism
I am a lecturer in Tourism, Events and Spa at the University of Derby, Buxton. I am also the Masters Scheme Leader for the Postgraduate taught courses in Tourism Management; International Hospitality Management; Events Management and International Spa Management at the University of Derby, Buxton.
The current teaching portfolio at both Undergraduate and Postgraduate level stems from and is strongly aligned to my research and scholarly activities. This includes, but is not limited to, modules such as Ethnographies of Festivals Consumption; Cultural Tourism; Anthropology of the festival; Culture and Heritage Tourism Product Management; Changing Landscapes; Festivals and Cultural Events; Visitor Attractions; Research Methodologies; Spa Consumer.
The changing dynamics of cultural practices such as heritage, festivals and cultural tourism. Additionally and in conjunction with the move of the Faculty to the Spa Town of Buxton, I have begun researching and teaching in the areas of Spa, Tourism and Wellbeing.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Member of ATLAS Association for Tourism and Leisure Education
- Member of The Tourism Society
- Member of AEME, Association for Events management Education
- Member of ISPA International Spa Association
- Member of the University of Derby Culture, Lifestyle and Landscape Research Group
- Member of the University of Derby Society, Religion and Belief research centre
- BA (Hons) Cum Laudae, Foreign Languages and Literatures (English and German), University of Sassari
- MA Tourism Management, University of Derby
- PhD on the articulation of Cultural Tourism in Sardinia, University of Derby
- Azara, I. and Stockdale, I. (2012) 'Key concepts in Spa Tourism' in Peter Robinson (Ed) Key Concepts in Tourism. London, Routledge.
- Azara, I.E., Fallows, F. and Wiltshier, P. (2011) 'Operating Heritage-based Guided Tours in a Higher Education Establishment: the Challenges and Opportunities', Conference proceedings from The 2nd International Research Forum on Guided Tours Plymouth, UK (Conference Proceedings).
- Azara, I. and Crouch D. (2006) 'La Cavalcata Sarda: Performing identities in a contemporary Sardinian festival' in Picard, D. and Robinson, M. (Eds) Festivals, Tourism and Social Change: Remaking Worlds, Clevedon, Channel View Publications.
- 'Mobilising identity and 'the sense of home' at the festival', paper delivered at the Travelling Towards Home Conference, SOA, University of London, 2011.
- 'Operating Guided Tours in a Higher Education Establishment: the Challenges and Opportunities', paper delivered F. Fallows, and P. Wiltshier, at The 2nd International Research Forum on Guided Tours Plymouth, UK, 2011.
- 'Tiscali, from 'last refuge of a lost civilisation' to a 21st Century tourist attraction': An investigation into the spatial organisation of an archaeological site', paper delivered at the University of Derby, Buxton research Conference, 2011.
- 'Exploring strategies for UG student retention: the story of the PASS project one year on', paper delivered with S. Rawlinson at the University of Derby, Learning Teaching and Assessment (LTA) Conference, 2010.
I worked in award-winning 4*and 5* star hotels and for the second largest Italian airline, Meridiana Fly originally founded by the Aga Kahn, Prince Karim al-Hussayni.