I am a contemporary British artist and award winning Senior Lecturer in Photography at the University of Derby, specialising in experimental approaches to the radical intersections of photographic practice, video and performance. My broad practice playfully negotiates the authenticity of the artists' voice in history, science, and sexual politics.
I have been exhibited widely, including Kunsthal Charlottenborg, Copenhagen; The Photographers' Gallery, London; The Apulia Film Commission, Bari, Italy; the State Museum of Gulag, Moscow; and the Arquipélago Centre of Contemporary Art, Azores, Portugal.
I am currently undertaking doctoral research titled: In a Manner of Speaking: The Subversive Voice in Art at the Cambridge School of Art, scheduled to achieve Ph.D. in 2020.
I am a core contributor to the programme team on the BA (Hons.) Photography working in partnership with the programme leader and other senior staff.
My specialisms cover primarily theoretical contexts in photography and fine art practices and their integral relationship to professional practice.
I am a level 5 (2nd year) leader and teaches on all three years of the programme, with experience in teaching at Master level and Ph.D. advising. I coordinate international relationships with fellow institutions and leads the social media profiles for the programme.
I am a pastoral leader and personal tutor with extensive experience in wellbeing support, learning diversity, and LGBTQI+ contexts.
I won the prestigious Union of Students Lecturer of the Year for the faculty of Arts, Humanities and Education for the University of Derby, 2018, nominated by the student and staff body.
The purpose of this doctoral research is to determine through my creative practice and its corresponding theoretical context an examination and understanding of the performing artists’ voice as, potentially, a subversive agent.
The motivation for this question comes from my process of thinking, making, and showing comedic performance-based art works that utilise my own voice, in a way that deliberately skews meaning, distorting the conventional delivery of contexts and information.
The agency of voice appears to me to have a great deal of ambiguity and nuance throughout its trajectory from conceptualisation to its presentation to an audience. There are multiple and divergent ways art practice and theory has explored this territory. This study considers how the artist/performer finds the means to challenge conventions of orality, language and communication through a performed voice that seeks to subvert meanings and intentions.
Theoretical research on the voice to date broadly exists within an understanding of linguistics, written and spoken; the properties of aural, aestheticised sound; and the object voice as an active mobiliser between sound, speech and meaning. Artists, on the other hand, have often drawn on their own experience/appropriation of voice registers within various contexts of communication and utilise the physicality of the voice as a tool of communication and/or means of expression through these modalities.
Through a series of case studies that examine performance works I have undertaken during the process of research, each in conjunction with a specific work by another artist selected for its thematic coherency or as counterpoint, this study charts a revealing of that process through a series of works that traverse some of the critical territories of the performer’s voice.
Selected academic teaching, conferences and artists talks:
- University of Arts London
- University of Derby
- University of Bedfordshire
- The Photographers' Gallery, London
- New College Stamford
- St Ivo School, Cambridgeshire
- Portfolio reviewer, Punktum, 2013
- Lessons in Geography, mac, Birmingham 2013
- Judge for the Sproxton Award, MA Photography, LCC with Val Williams 2013
- MK Gallery 2014
- Laughing my art off, symposium, London College of Communication 2014
- Awkward Bastards, DASH, mac, Birmingham 2015
- Firecrackers: Women and Wit in Photography symposium, London College of Communication 2015
- Royal Photographic Society, Female Photographers, Burton & South Derbyshire College, 2015
- London South Bank University 2016
- Pacitti Company Think Tank 2016
- Bluecoat, Liverpool 2017
- IRI, Porto 2017
- UNLV, Las Vegas 2018
- Laughable Engima of Ordinary Life - Arquipélago Centre of Contemporary Art, Azores, Portugal 2017
- Double Act - The Bluecoat, Liverpool, April 2016
- PSEUDIO - Basement Project Space, Anglia Ruskin University, April 2016
- Lotusland, Changing Spaces, Cambridge, July 2015
- Green Fingered - Solo show - BOM (Birmingham Open Media) May 2015
- Bad Behaviour, London, November 2014
- Now&After, International Video Festival, State Museum of Gulag,Moscow, May 2014
- 'Lemon Song' from series 'Green Fingered' - Time is Love, The Passage, London, January 2014
- Strange Birds - Group Show, CRASH 13, Charlie Dutton Gallery, London, December 2013
- Fish Wives - Summer Fete 2013 - Ceri Hand Gallery, London, August 2013
- Strange Birds - Group Show - FUTURE MAP 2012, Central Saint Martin's, Lethaby Gallery, London, Jan 2013
- Strange Birds - Group Show - Photofusion Annual Salon Show, Brixton, London, Dec 2012. Hotshoe Photofusion Award runner up.
- Strange Birds - Group Show 'Fresh Faced + Wild Eyed 2012' The Photographers' Gallery, London. September 2012
- Strange Birds - Group Show 'Ghost Station' for ArtHertz. Bombe Hut, Bletchley Park, Milton Keynes. September 2012
- Strange Birds - Solo Show - Apulia Film Commission, Bari, Italy. July 2012
- 'PECK' from the 'Homos Archive', Butch Queen First Time In Drag, Site Festival 2012, Stroud, Gloucestershire. May, 2012
- Strange Birds - Group Show - The Spring Exhibition 2012, Kunsthal Charlottenborg, Copenhagen. Jury Prize nominee
- LCC MAP- MA Degree Show - Group Show - Main Gallery, LCC, Elephant & Castle, London, Nov 2011
- Animal- Group Show- Hello Darling Gallery, Derby 2008
- FreeRange- Group Show- Truman Gallery, Brick Lane, London 2008
- Love & Rabbit Stew- Group Show- University of Derby 2008
- Groundswell 2- Group Show- Derby Green Lane Gallery 2006
- Groundswell- Group Show- Derby Green Lane Gallery 2003
Experience in industry
I sit on the steering committee for international photography festival FORMAT, and participates in many research groups.
Awards and Recognition:
- BOM Fellow 2016
- Photographers' Gallery, (prize winner) Fresh Faced + Wild Eyed 2012
- Future MAP 2012
- Spring Exhibition, Copenhagen (jury prize nominee) 2012
- Photofusion AMPS (runner up) 2012
- Photofusion Award 2011
- Sproxton Award (special recognition) 2011